ABS or Not?

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Since I commute a lot in city traffic in all weather conditions including rain anti lock brakes are a requirement for me. No doubt they have kept me upright more than once. Like cars it will not be long before all bikes come with them as standard equipment.

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
ABS has saved my butt once in a car (but never on a bike) on an autobahn in the rain near Munich. If I buy any vehicle, ABS will rank very high in the purchasing decision.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've said it before (and I'm sure I'll say it again): ABS has saved me twice since I bought the NT. Both times it was on wet streets/roads when someone put me in danger. I was in Marshalltown, IA, and it had been raining hard but had stopped when a woman blew through a red light in front of me. I felt the ABS pulse when I grabbed (I confess -- I did not "squeeeeze" the brakes, I grabbed them!) and I missed her by less than five feet.

Then on the Epic Ride, I was putting through Eddie's Cove, NF, at the speed limit of 35kph, when a woman pulled out from a grocery store right out in front of me. It was rainy and foggy, but visibility wasn't the issue. You just can't see someone if you don't even look! I was within a foot or two of her right rear fender as she pulled out and turned away from me. Then she went on down the road at about 45kph. I followed her for another three clicks and she turned into another grocery store. I pulled in behind her and when she got out, I asked if I could talk to her. She said, "In the rain?" and I said, "It won't take long." Then I asked her if she realized that I'd nearly run into her. Of course, she didn't. I told her that I knew she hadn't known I was there because she hadn't looked. I said that those of us on motorcycles were pretty vulnerable and that I hoped she'd start looking. She said, "Oh, I know! My husband rides a motorcycle!" She apologized profusely and promised she'd be more careful.

I'm like Chris -- I might buy a bike without ABS if it was something that didn't have the option, but if it can have ABS, that's what I'll get.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
For 2015, bikes with engines 250 cc and larger are required to have ABS for Europe, so ABS-equipped motorcycles will become a lot more common here. ABS is a wonderful aid in those unexpected situations where a controlled stop is paramount and it's usually something that even the most skilled rider cannot duplicate on a non-ABS bike.

Last edited:
Bike
2011 NT
Before I bought my last Wing I test road an ABS and a non ABS in the rain and liked the way the ABS unit in braking a whole lot better than the non ABS. I wanted a Red NT but lacking ABS I kept looking untill the 2011 NT came along at a good price. They really do a good job.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
I did not want ABS for a $1,000 option, when looking for my NT. I even had a close call on my PC800, hit the brakes so hard that the rear end started to come around. that was scary, I went from about 45 mph to 10 real fast. there were 3 lanes , and the right lane was a mandatory right turn that was clear, heavy traffic stopped, a car trying to turn left from opposite direction came across right in front of me. had to hit those brakes the hardest I ever did on the street. even tho had this near miss, ABS still not worth $1,000 option for me. be glad when price comes down with mandatory laws, that don't have to factor in, with or without, its on all.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I would not buy a bike without ABS these days. It was an important part of why I bought the NT.

I do wish I could retrofit a 'kit' to the Goose (and I may figure out how to do it some day).

Having said that, in over 100k miles of riding I have only 'needed' it three times. The first was when I washed out the front end in some sand. Hit the brakes and it slipped right out. The other two times were with the NT when it did kick in. First was sand again at a busy intersection. Not sure it if saved me from injury, but, it saved me from sliding into the intersection and heavy traffic. Last was like Chris' above. Truck stopped faster than I expected. It definitely saved me from sliding under the truck.

And I was happy to pay the extra $1000 for it when I bought the NT. I have mixed feelings about making it mandatory. I dislike gov't intrusion on stuff like this. And when in dirt I'd like the option of turning it off (and disabling linked brakes). Next thing they will be mandating 'skid outriggers' and air bag suits.

Bike
2015 R3, 2009 DN-01
I did not want ABS for a $1,000 option, when looking for my NT. I even had a close call on my PC800, hit the brakes so hard that the rear end started to come around. that was scary, I went from about 45 mph to 10 real fast. there were 3 lanes , and the right lane was a mandatory right turn that was clear, heavy traffic stopped, a car trying to turn left from opposite direction came across right in front of me. had to hit those brakes the hardest I ever did on the street. even tho had this near miss, ABS still not worth $1,000 option for me. be glad when price comes down with mandatory laws, that don't have to factor in, with or without, its on all.
Might have been a DIFFERENT story IF you had hit the car and that $1,000 option (ABS) would have saved your bacon!

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I, too, was dubious about ABS on a motorcycle, but no more. I am used to using front/rear braking to control my mountain bike even though bicycle front brake levers are on the LEFT side and rear brake lever is on the RIGHT side. But after a panic stop on the motorcycle I have changed my mind about ABS on a motorcycle. It is GOOD!!!

Glad for your good outcome Chris, and for sharing your story. It makes all a little smarter.

bicyclist

I'm another one sold on ABS. I'd like to see it as a stock item, not an option, so that the cost comes down as David (Woodaddict) mentioned. However, I'd also like to have the option to turn it off when riding on gravel roads.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
In Europe, as someone said, ABS will soon be mandatory on most bikes sold. Some, mostly "Adventure" bikes and trail bikes, allow you to turn it off. Because it is mandatory, it'll probably be cheaper for Honda just to build ABS bikes. So I imaging all Jap and European bikes sold in the USA will soon be ABS only.

I note that some of the higher spec bikes are now coming with Traction Control as standard. I wonder how long it'll be before that is mandatory.

Could have done with Traction Control in the snow this morning. Fishtailed a couple of times. Those PR4s are amazing for grip in the wet and slushy conditions.

Last edited:
Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
The good old USA will not get ABS unless is required by legislation or the customer. NT's in Europe had 4 way flashers, as one example USA no 4 way. If a company can save 50 cents on a 1000 bikes they will. I think ABS, might become a feature in the USA, only if the riders by bikes with only ABS. Maybe law suits too, will get it standard.

Bike
KLR650, Red NT700V, YZFR3
I have a non ABS NT, I was in situation last March where I locked up the brakes in order to avoid a collision.

I managed to avoid the collision but in the process I did a did a high side and went down,

I would like to think that if I had ABS I probably would have remained upright.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
If the bike has electronic throttle ("Fly by Wire") it makes it a lot easier to have not only traction control but cruise control in the same ECU. This is not to say this is great because some of the recent unintended acceleration problems with Toyota and other cars could be traced to having way too much stuff in one ECU.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
Or you might find non-ABS bikes more expensive as they say the are "non-standard".

Nice little earner...

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
My NT did not have ABS as I very much underestimates the significance of it. Acquiring a bike WITH it, ranked very highly on my motivation for a new bike.

During the MSF Advanced Rider Course I took last summer as a skills refresher, of the 12 or so of us in the class, I was the only one with ABS. And the distance it took me to come to a complete stop in the tests was literally almost HALF pf what was required to pass the test. The instructors didn't have much experience with bikes with ABS so one took videos on her phone to show others how absolutely remarkable she found it to be.

If you have ABS, and it has never kicked in, I highly recommend going some place safe, like an empty lot, and practicing to know what it feels like and how quickly and safely it stops you. Just get up to 25 mph or so and stomp the rear and grab a fistful of front. It's truly remarkable.

Hate to bring this up, but I can put up with the abs system but I really can do without the linked braking....I like to be able to touch my rear brake sometimes when in the twisties and also when doing slow turns as in parking lots...It also adds cost complexity and weight and dealers charge extra for bleeding the brakes ...I also believe that some riders may develop bad habits...always stomping on the rear brake lever and rarely using the front just don't understand why this is being pushed so hard...my 2 cents

Top Bottom