Affordable, solid yellow, Hi-Viz helmets a thing of the past ??

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I saw a video about the weaving within your lane to make yourself more visible on the UK Deauville forum years ago. They called it the SIAM maneuver "See I'm A Motorcycle". A safety organization in the UK did a study using the SIAM manuever and found that by doing so, you increased your visibility to other motorists by 60%. Since then, I have tried to adopt the practice....... when I remember to do so <sigh>.....

Mike
Mike, most of things I've seen about that maneuver in the UK forums have called it "SMIDSY." "Sorry Mate! I Didn't See You!" -- spoken by the driver who pulls out/turns in front of the motorcycle.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Mike, most of things I've seen about that maneuver in the UK forums have called it "SMIDSY." "Sorry Mate! I Didn't See You!" -- spoken by the driver who pulls out/turns in front of the motorcycle.
From what I've read, the SIAM is supposed to prevent the SMIDSY :thumb:. Either way, anything we can do to make ourselves more visible to other drivers is beneficial.

Mike

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
The SIAM, I didn't know it had a name or acronym, was taught to me when I learnt to ride. I use it when I think that the driver might not have seen me or is driving in a manner to "pique my interest". Don't over do it, just move from your position to the centre of the lane and back to your position. The one of the many other things he was taught us was, where possible, position your vehicle correctly for the conditions.

Having a British Police Traffic Motorcyclist as a riding instructor, although now 40 years ago, was a godsend! I can't thank him enough.

As to Hi Viz. I believe people rely on Hi Viz to keep them safe rather than being proactive. I wear contrasting colours most of the time which can include Hi Viz, usually in bad weather but also in other situations. Interestingly, there are a lot of fields of oilseed rape (Brassica napus) where I like to ride and, you guessed it, yellow Hi Viz just blends into the background really nicely!

If you're really worried about being seen, add some correctly aligned LED spot lights under the tipover wings. Mine come on with the ignition, they can be switched off for MOT testing (once a year in the UK, every 3 years in France). The "triangle of light" really does make a difference to your visibility. The bigger the triangle the better.

Remember - nothing is foolproof as fools are really ingenious!

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
... add some correctly aligned LED spot lights...
Which glare I OTOH find highly annoying and messing up my (night)vision...
All GS'ers as well as the rest of wannabe ADV-riders have those dazzling aux lights on all the time...

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
Which glare I OTOH find highly annoying and messing up my (night)vision...
All GS'ers as well as the rest of wannabe ADV-riders have those dazzling aux lights on all the time...
Correctly aligned homologated ones usually don't...

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Another thumbs up for the Nolan helmet! I find mine is very comfortable, fits so much better than an Amazon helmet, and stays cool with its air vents open. A great value too.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I admit to knowing way too much about drivers and their habits.....agressive driving being the worst and being on the cell phone the second. Tail gaiting...Drugs and alchohol are out there. And people who are clueless on how to drive. I like the guy at the rally with the flashing lights on his helmet.....
I now use hi viz riding coats and high viz duffle bags but I have no dislusions. How and where you ride are much more important than any clothes color.....
The real problem not that they dont see you....its that they dont care about you.....or anyone else.....or themselves.....

OP
OP
ett

ett

OP here,

Yesterday I find a somewhat local dealer that had a good selection of Scorpion helmets.
They didn't have any R320's in stock. But they had plenty of R420's in stock.
My understanding is the R320 is just the R420's predecessor; R410; with less features.
And Scorpion kept the R320's price low by not bothering to pay the SNELL bride fee as they did with the R420 + R410. ie. R320 is DOT only.

So going under the assumption that the R320 is just a R420 with less features, and should have the same internal fit.
I tired on a couple R420's. The large appeared to be the best fit.
So I had them order me a large R320 Hudson in the hi-viz color theme.
Expected arrival is 3 to 5 business days.

Keeping finger crossed that my assumption about fit between the two models was correct. 🤞
Also keeping fingers crossed that there is not much difference in quality between the R420 and R320. 😉

--ET

OP
OP
ett

ett

Recent studies have shown white to be more hi viz than yellow
Yellow or hi-viz yellow ?

Yellow covers many different shades of "yellow"; where as "hi-viz yellow" is a specific shade.

My own personal experience; is that more people saw me when switching from solid white helmets to solid hi-viz yellow helmets.

--ET

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I have worn both. Being that Hi-viz was getting hard to find I now only wear white. I prefer to buy a helmet based on brand and model that I prefer as most have a white option while few have a Hi-viz option.

Reactions: JQL
OP
OP
ett

ett

OP here,

Appears; as per my previous post; that my assumption of the Scorpion EXO-R420 having same internal fit as the Scorpion EXO-R320, was a correct assumption.
The Hi-viz EXO-R320 that I ordered from local dealer on Wed July 5th, arrived on Monday July 10.
I went and picked it up, after work, that day. And it fits the same as the R420 I tried tried on.
Which means I've had the helmet for a few days now. And have used it for a couple tank fulls (500 miles ?) on my Griso + NT.

Looks like I made a good choice.
While the R320 may only be DOT rated. It appears what I saw and read about it online, for it only being DOT rated, may be true.
Which is; Scorpion wanted to keep it's price down by not paying for the SNELL or ECE testing.
It's interior outer shell, EPS, and interior padding; look to have same coverage as their more expensive, DOT/SNELL rated R420.

The only less-than perfect construction I can find on this hi-viz R320.
Is that one of the two forehead vents does not click as firmly as the other when opening or closing.
Otherwise I can find no flaws.

As for it's hi-viz being effective.
I've gotten two compliments on it's visibility.
First; employee at the dealer who sold the R320 to me, said upon my taking it out of the box: "Holy sheet that's bright !" :p
At the same time, a couple customers standing nearby at the counter, nodded their heads in approval.
Second, while ridding with it on the following day. A car driver started to pull out in front of me, then stopped when he noticed me.
At the next intersection with a red light, he pulled up beside me, rolled down his window, apologized for almost cutting me off, and said it was the bright helmet that made him notice me. ;)

Personally I think this is a great helmet for only $130 ($119 + PA tax).

Again, thanks everyone for the replies.
--ET

Top Bottom