Aftermarket luggage rack

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Igo,

Not in the traditional "cruiser" style... See Here for my solution. It works just fine... If you really wanted a true "rack" you could add some bars to it...

olderthandirt1

Twisted throttle has a nice rack, but not cheap!

OP
OP

Igo

That is really all O am looking to do. Something that covers the same realestate but has places to latch on to. I am now on to read the rest of your thread.

1TRAK

The most cost effective rack/trunk Iv'e found is (go ahead and have a good laugh) jc whitneys medium size trunk. Had this on my KLR for 9000 miles of road, gravel, two traks and tours with nary a problem. Kept it when I sold the KLR and it's on the NT now. Work's great and it's only about $90 with shipping.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP

Igo

I'm trying to accomplish a certain task; something I've always done with my bikes. Load a dry bag made for white water rafting the same way everyday and sock it down tight parallel to the bike. Learn the placement and duplicate that placement every day. It is easy as pie to keep 60 liters of gear low and forward and makes a huge backrest for long trips.

Bike
Silver NT700V
1TRAK,

I like the look of your bargain top box. Can you post some pics of the mount? Was the mounting difficult (I am an abject neophyte with tools)? I check it out on JC Whitney and may order one.

Thanks,

Chuck

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
That is a good looking rack from JC Whitney. I remember seeing one on a Concours way back in '01. The guy who had it was very happy with it. Nothing wrong with JC Whitney...or with saving money!

OP
OP

Igo

I did. I asked many questions about it. With some modifications it will probably do what I want it to do but I'm hung up on the $150 sticker for a stamped piece of aluminum. I'm thinking about taking a few lunches and making something that will do exactly what I want.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Igo,

You might be able to make something that will do exactly what you want it to do. No way I could! $149 does indeed seem pricey, but it's more than simply a stamped piece of aluminum. It's a nicely stamped piece of aluminum with quality powder-coating and the mounting hardware needed to put it on the bike. It was cheaper for me than trying to make my own.

1TRAK

1TRAK,

I like the look of your bargain top box. Can you post some pics of the mount? Was the mounting difficult (I am an abject neophyte with tools)? I check it out on JC Whitney and may order one.

Thanks,

Chuck
I'll get some pics of it tomorrow afternoon and post up. Mounting wasn't to hard, took about 90 minutes. Here's those pics Chuck

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP

Igo

Igo,

You might be able to make something that will do exactly what you want it to do. No way I could! $149 does indeed seem pricey, but it's more than simply a stamped piece of aluminum. It's a nicely stamped piece of aluminum with quality powder-coating and the mounting hardware needed to put it on the bike. It was cheaper for me than trying to make my own.
I certainly didn't mean to talk it down. I'll probably end up getting it. It does look great and is what I need. Most importantly, it would probably take me $800 worth of hours to make something half as nice.
I don't even want to know how much money I've spent AFTER I bought the bike.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I don't even want to know how much money I've spent AFTER I bought the bike.

Ha! My adding machine broke when I tried to total it all up. Won't make that mistake again!

Bike
2014 Black Yamaha Bolt
Adding Machine? Phil, you are showing your age. (I used a full keyboard Merchant back in the 60's when I was an estimator and before calculators came out!) :cool:

1TRAK

Looks suspiciously like a Bestem trunk & plate I have kicking around. Did it come with a couple of metal bars you could use to mount it to a rack?
Yes it did. Didn't use them though as I like a flush mount.

OP
OP

Igo

I'll get some pics of it tomorrow afternoon and post up. Mounting wasn't to hard, took about 90 minutes. Here's those pics Chuck
Do you have a link for this mount? And can the mount be purchased separately from the truck?

Top Bottom