Air hawk

tawilke46

Do any forum members have any experience with the Air Hawk seat pads? Looking for some feedback from riders that have used one or know someone who has.

I just bought the cruiser medium for my NT. Have not had a chance yet to try it out.
This Friday and through the weekend are forecast to be good riding days.
Cheaper than buying a new seat. We shall see how it works for me.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I had the same question yesterday. I found some posts on the forum on seats and backrests.

No question a custom seat would be better, but I too am interested in spending less. I'm also considering the sheepskin pad from Aerostich.

So, has anyone tried the sheepskin from Aerostich????

1TRAK

I have friends that travel on their sportbikes with Airhawks and sheepskin, they use them every trip.

I've been using sheepskins from Alaska Leather for years and they work great for me. They have the advantage of drawing moisture and heat when it's hot, plus it warms you when it's chilly. They add a couple hours of comfort on long rides and don't seem to wear out, a great value for around $70.00

OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

So, has anyone tried the sheepskin from Aerostich????
I used an Aerostitch sheepskin on my PC800 and my NT. The pad worked very well. Kept the heat off in the summer and was warm when the weather got cold.
Plus added some padding, but not much. I may pop the sheepskin on top of the AirHawk when the weather gets cold. Although it may get a little too bulky.
My daughter has a AirHawk on her FZ6. Got to ride it last month and I liked the way the AirHawk felt.
Thought I would give it a try on the NT.

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
I bought an Air Hawk at Iron Pony in Columbus while visiting my parents on my return trip from the West Coast. My wife was no longer with me to give the occasional message so I was desperate. I rode from Columbus to New York City with breaks only for gas and felt very comfortable. So I think it's a definite plus and cheaper than an after market. I felt I got my money's worth and I'm cheap.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I have used sheepskins on several bikes and they have worked out very well....just don't let it get wet! If you want to look at something different one of my riding partners uses a "beaded" seat cover on his Wing and swears by it. It doesn't matter if they get wet, they even drain water off the seat in the rain, and and you get a free massage... I still remember beaded seat covers in cabs in Korea and can't get enthused as they caught on everything, especially uniform buttons, and rattled like a beaded Macram? kit in the dryer...:rolleyes1:

Here is my next seat farkle, a Hammock Seat. The attached .pdf shows the construction of the seat. I "test rode" this seat and it is unbelievably comfortable...a Lazy Boy for the Geezer Glide... :rofl1: Hopefully my wife won't want the heated version with the heated passenger back rest option... :eek1:

Attachments

Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
I use an Airhawk every day. I can ride 1000 mile days with relative comfort. 300-400 mile days with no discomfort whatsoever. The key to them is not to over inflate them; use only enough air to keep your rear off the seat. I've never used an Airhawk II, but all the reviews I've read say that the original Airhawk does a better job.

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
I use an Airhawk every day. I can ride 1000 mile days with relative comfort. 300-400 mile days with no discomfort whatsoever. The key to them is not to over inflate them; use only enough air to keep your rear off the seat. I've never used an Airhawk II, but all the reviews I've read say that the original Airhawk does a better job.
Plus one on not over inflating. I even had a situation where I inflated it properly in the morning but by the afternoon in 95 degree plus weather it was overinflated again and needed reduction. I only use it for long rides. Not presently on my bike for around town riding.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
If you really want a cheaper alternative, look at the air cushions made for ATV's. I think WalMart has some for less than $50.

Bike
2010 RED NT700V
I have the Medium Cruiser Airhawk pad. Highly recommended for long-distance comfort. Like the others said, proper inflation is the key.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I have the Medium Cruiser Airhawk pad. Highly recommended for long-distance comfort. Like the others said, proper inflation is the key.
How is the Airhawk attached to the stock seat? Can you post a pic of the Airhawk installed on your NT?

Mike

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I wonder how the Airhawk would do with 4-6000 foot elevation changes in less than 50 miles.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I wonder how the Airhawk would do with 4-6000 foot elevation changes in less than 50 miles.
Worst case would be the equivalent of sitting on an inner tube and having it blow out... :eek1: But unless it is totally over inflated I doubt you would have any problem...

Bike
2010 RED NT700V
How is the Airhawk attached to the stock seat? Can you post a pic of the Airhawk installed on your NT?

Mike
Here are some pictures of the Airhawk on my NT. It is held on with two adjustable straps that go under the seat. It's not cheap, but it's way less than a Russell or other aftermarket seat.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
One more opinion. I put an Air Hawk on a few weeks ago and didn't like it much. Now, after a big weekend trip on it, I like it much better. Rode for two 12-hour days back to back with no butt issues. But I still may spring for the Russell Day Long because I believe it's a better alternative (and easier to wipe the water off of). The Air Hawk gets wet in the rain. I plan to keep this NT so the investment in a Russell is easier to swallow.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
The primary issue with seat comfort as far as I can tell is how much surface area it provides. The more area you are able to spread your weight across, the less pressure being pinpointed in any one area of your body.

Adding sheepskin, airhawks, new foam on the same saddle will only provide a minimal improvement. Perhaps buy you an extra hour or whatever before you experience discomfort.

I view this as more true the heavier the rider is. Those who weigh a lot less are probably far less likely to experience hot spots or discomfort as soon as someone 100lbs heavier. In those cases, better foam or airhawks probably have a higher chance of working out well. For me, at 260 lbs, they will never provide a great improvement. I need the greater surface area something like a Russell provides. Hot spots/discomfort are inevitable but I think the Russell will allow for the greatest distance before it happens... Probably by a large margin. Wish the Explorer community had a "floating" saddle for this purpose!

I have found that highway pegs, used for a few minutes every hour so, work quite well as it alleviates some weight from the saddle a little bit. They aren't as comfortable as the standard riding position so I use them sparingly but they do seem to have a positive affect.

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
I use only the front band to keep the AirHawk on it's proper place. Then I can easily flip over the AirHawk when the bike is parked and I suspect rain. I love this add-on as it is extremely comfortable, but care has to be taken to only add a very little amount of air. Too much and you will slide around on the seat.

I like this idea. Makes it simpler to put on and take off and move out of the way temporarily. As I said before, I like this thing for long distance riding.

BTW, good to see you back on this board. I follow the NC Board(could be my next bike) and see you active over there. Thought you might have gotten rid of the NT.... as the kids say.... Not!

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Christian, I was wondering where you went. Looking forward to your travel stories

Top Bottom