Another Honda NT on the Horizon?

Gabe

Tek Monkey
Bike
2011 Black Honda NT700VA
Excerpts:

The first piece of information from NT1100 is on patents. The patent shows that Africa Twin engine will be installed on a newly designed frame, the design is obviously different On the chassis of Africa Twin or Rebel 1100. Although there is no official certification, the backbone chassis may be adopted by the NT1100, which is said to be based on the shape of the CB4X concept motorcycle shown in 2019.

The NT1100 trademark application was filed with the European Union on February 2. If the information is correct, the body of the NT1100 will be taller, which also gives it the attractive appearance of a sports wagon. It has always been reported that the NT1100 will be part of Honda's new model series in 2022, and the current trademark application time has also verified this news.

https://inf.news/en/auto/0999d9035c9443275a3bce229e1ce9cf.html

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I will believe it when I see it. If it comes to pass in all likelihood Honda won't bring it to the US anyway. Taller would be a deal breaker for me.... hell, my age is a deal breaker for me....

:well1:

Mike

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
“Sports Wagon” ? They might want to come up with a more interesting name. Perhaps it’s just due to translation to english. Anyway I no longer have any interest in something with that many CC.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
There have been a few hoaxes out there on this very specific bike and topic. What’s to say that this one is yet another hoax?

If there’s any truth to any of this information. What would be the benefit of Honda leaking out this information to the public? Typically they are “Super Secretive” about stuff like this and have people sign Non-Disclosure Agreements (NDA).

I was involved with one of their case studies about 6 years ago. They everyone in attendance signs an NDA. It was in place until Honda released a press release on the subject. Honda would also monitor attendees' posts on the internet via blogs or forums such as this one. Honda could seek legal actions and damages against any individuals that violated their NDA. Thus, I’m quite skeptical when anything like this comes up.

The fact is that you cannot believe everything on the internet, especially on websites filled with ads and pop-ups. :rolleyes:

When this bike is listed on the North American Honda website, then I would be more inclined to believe this bike does exist and is being offered.

As I like to say, "I'm Missouri, SHOW ME!!!"

OP
OP
Gabe

Gabe

Tek Monkey
Bike
2011 Black Honda NT700VA
No doubt, the proof is in the pudding. The rumor mill will ALWAYS be a rumor mill until something hits showroom floors, or not.

That being said, the trademark in the EU appears real and was reported by Cycle World as well... but then again that doesn't necessarily mean it's coming to market either.

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/bikes/further-confirmation-of-honda-nt1100/

That being said, I think it's sad that Honda abandoned the "Sport Touring" category after the NT700s and ST1300s, but it seemed always a difficult category to define being caught in the middle of the "sport" and "touring" worlds and sales in the US I heard weren't as great as the Deauville on the other side of the Atlantic. Maybe it's time for the category to be reborn.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
“Sports Wagon” ? They might want to come up with a more interesting name. Perhaps it’s just due to translation to english. Anyway I no longer have any interest in something with that many CC.
It says "Attractive Sports Wagon" .... so that is pretty interesting!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
If Honda has filed for European trademark and patent protection (and Cycle World is not likely to be wrong about that), then I'd be willing to bet that the bike will be built. Whether it comes to the US or not is an open question.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Yup, if a patent or trademark has been filed then that info is in the public domain and is not a hoax. What becomes of that however remains to be seen.

Mike

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Yup, if a patent or trademark has been filed then that info is in the public domain and is not a hoax. What becomes of that however remains to be seen.

Mike
Honda has filed many patents and many led to nothing. I saw one for a Hydrogen Fuel Cell Motorcycle and an electric module drop-in for 125 and 300 bike frames. I have not seen either of these items on the market in the last few years.

An electric CB300R would be cool though. I am sure that Honda will do a lot better job on the engineering than Zero Motorcycles has done. I would give electric motorcycles another whirl if Honda offers one in the near future. I would also consider a hybrid or fuel cell bike too. I am planning on riding for another 30 years. I am sure those will be the offerings at that time.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
IMHO, Honda has given up the shaft-drive layout for all but the biggest cruisers, anyway.
The driveshaft-driven motorcycle is dead and no longer makes financial sense due to manufacturing cost for anything under 1300 cc or 800 lbs.

Proper chain maintenance and replacing with a high-quality replacement chain and sprockets will go a long way these days.

You buy cheap, you get what you pay for and replace them more often.

OP
OP
Gabe

Gabe

Tek Monkey
Bike
2011 Black Honda NT700VA
Honda has filed many patents and many led to nothing. I saw one for a Hydrogen Fuel Cell Motorcycle and an electric module drop-in for 125 and 300 bike frames. I have not seen either of these items on the market in the last few years.

An electric CB300R would be cool though. I am sure that Honda will do a lot better job on the engineering than Zero Motorcycles has done. I would give electric motorcycles another whirl if Honda offers one in the near future. I would also consider a hybrid or fuel cell bike too. I am planning on riding for another 30 years. I am sure those will be the offerings at that time.
I've had the same thought regarding an electric Honda. I have been contemplating a Zero SR/S to fill in the "Sport Touring" hole... and with a belt driven ride and no transmissions or gears the efficiency is up and maintenance very low. Supposedly Honda is in discussions for a bike battery-swap system but I haven't seen that done successfully in other vehicles yet. If they do get more skin in the game though I expect them to gradually increase and improve any electric technology instead of going all-in and risking their reputation or sacrificing their legendary status in quality and reliability.

Are there signs of Honda taking a gradual electric approach? Yep. Honda just announced 4 electric motorcycles to debut in the next few years. And surprisingly there is a strong demand for electric bikes. News on the Hondas below.

https://electrek.co/2021/04/26/honda-announces-four-electric-motorcycles-to-debut-in-next-few-years/

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I recently read this online.

“Honda, Yamaha, KTM, and Piaggio have inked a deal to work together on developing swappable batteries for light electric vehicles such as electric motorcycles and scooters.”

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
I've had the same thought regarding an electric Honda. I have been contemplating a Zero SR/S to fill in the "Sport Touring" hole... and with a belt driven ride and no transmissions or gears the efficiency is up and maintenance very low. Supposedly Honda is in discussions for a bike battery-swap system but I haven't seen that done successfully in other vehicles yet. If they do get more skin in the game though I expect them to gradually increase and improve any electric technology instead of going all-in and risking their reputation or sacrificing their legendary status in quality and reliability.

Are there signs of Honda taking a gradual electric approach? Yep. Honda just announced 4 electric motorcycles to debut in the next few years. And surprisingly there is a strong demand for electric bikes. News on the Hondas below.

https://electrek.co/2021/04/26/honda-announces-four-electric-motorcycles-to-debut-in-next-few-years/
Stay away from Zero Motorcycles. 2015 Zero SR was the fourth-worst motorcycle that I owned. Brillot2000 - What Was The Worst Motorcycle You Ever Owned?

In a nutshell:

• Required more visits to the dealer for firmware updates.
  • Random unexplained issues while riding.
  • If it does not pass the "Power Up" test you are strained. Happened to me 4 times, 3 of which I got a ride home from AAA.
  • Extra-long charge times when battery packs were completely flat, 12-16 hours.
  • 80-85 miles range with the range extender battery pack.
  • Only had Level 1 onboard charger, no quick charging available or available using vehicle charging network.
  • Battery packs wore out in 2-years at 23,000 miles.
  • Replacement Battery packs blow up after a month of use.
  • Bike, external quick charger, accessories came out to $21k.
The bike was a "LEMON" and I got Zero Motorcycles to buy it back at 80% of my purchase price. That's when I went out and bought the NT to replaced it.

Turn around and walk away is my advice to you.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS & 3 XS650s
I think that Honda is floating a trial balloon with the "NT1100" and the whole "sports wagon" thing is a bright idea from some goofball in marketing who knows nothing about bikes, bikers and bike culture.

The whole reason we like bikes is because cars just don't cut the mustard for us - and so trying sell a new model bike as though it IS a type of car is a dead-duck-looser idea.

On the issue of a shaft drive, I hate to admit it - but I suspect that this thing will come out with a chain just because the cost of adapting the Africa Twin to a shaft layout would be big bucks - and the marketing twits will likely veto it.

Having said all of that, Honda clearly does have SOME people who know bikes - and hopefully they can yell louder at the meetings get this one across the finish line.

Pete

OP
OP
Gabe

Gabe

Tek Monkey
Bike
2011 Black Honda NT700VA
Stay away from Zero Motorcycles. 2015 Zero SR was the fourth-worst motorcycle that I owned. Brillot2000 - What Was The Worst Motorcycle You Ever Owned?

In a nutshell:

• Required more visits to the dealer for firmware updates.
  • Random unexplained issues while riding.
  • If it does not pass the "Power Up" test you are strained. Happened to me 4 times, 3 of which I got a ride home from AAA.
  • Extra-long charge times when battery packs were completely flat, 12-16 hours.
  • 80-85 miles range with the range extender battery pack.
  • Only had Level 1 onboard charger, no quick charging available or available using vehicle charging network.
  • Battery packs wore out in 2-years at 23,000 miles.
  • Replacement Battery packs blow up after a month of use.
  • Bike, external quick charger, accessories came out to $21k.
The bike was a "LEMON" and I got Zero Motorcycles to buy it back at 80% of my purchase price. That's when I went out and bought the NT to replaced it.

Turn around and walk away is my advice to you.
Yeow! Good to know! I'd prefer to wait anyway until Honda comes out with mainstream electric bikes - at least they'll put real effort towards quality and reliability. That being said it is nice to see Honda upping their electric game. All good things come to those who wait, I hope! 🤞

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS & 3 XS650s
I was surprised when Honda brought out the CBR250, CBR500R, NC700X and the Rebel 1100. A mid sized touring bike seems feasible.
It certainly is feasible - as long as the marketing and product planning types at Honda are convinced that it will sell and the company can make money on it (which is, afterall, the precise and only reason they are in business).
That is what all these leaks and sneak-peaks are all about: they are gauging market acceptance of such an offering - so if you want one - SAY SO and do it LOUDLY.

That is also the reason why vehicles such as the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky sports cars were withdrawn from the market. GM couldn't make sufficient money on them to continue building them and developing them to continue making them compliant with safety and emissions standards. In effect, they confirmed that there is room in the car market for only one small two-seater, consumer-class light-weight sports car - and it was, is, and likely forever shall be, the Mazda Miata.

The market is a great rationalizer.....

Top Bottom