Another option

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Re: An other option

Karl,
Certainly a nice unit if one were to ride two-up a lot. Of course it would require buying an Alu-Rack from TT, and then drilling the appropriate holes. That box would be my choice over the Honda offering. Right now I am happy with the CooCase.

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA

The mount I have in mind is bolt on and off, something simple. Don't intend to buy any more bits other than perhaps some captive nuts.

Bike
Silver NT700V

Looks like a nice box, especially if two up travel is in your plans. Seem like it would mount in similar fashion to the J C Whitney cases. I used four bushings and bolts to mount the J C Whitney plate. Bet the same set up could be used to mount the rack.

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA

My guess at this point is that this will look like the box on my scooter. The bracket that came with that cracked over time and I just used some aluminum flat stock to replace it. The box comes with a bracket will post some photos when it arrives. My spouse asked for something like this.
My life is much better when she is happy, so why not give it a try. On my own I wold have gone with the givi maxia but she liked the price tag on this much better. The ability to swallow two helmets was an other factor. Will have to see how that works.

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA

OK so I did buy some more stuff

Took it to work with me a couple of days ago and finally got some time to do this

The box should arrive tomorrow, no later today that should read.

May have to do some fine tuning with this once I have the box. Been fun so far...

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Karl, you bought all that and managed to make a Samuel Adams out of it? Amazing?

Seriously, looks like some good machine work.

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
The Beer is wonderful, the parts i made wrong. Took the tail cover off (see seat in the fiche) and see the error. Will try and fix that worst come to worst get some more stock. The box arrived today. Shorter and wider than expected will take some photos when the sun comes up again.

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
I have a little brother that is a Weihenstephan trained brew master and my beer comes from the package store. There are no drive thru Beer & Ammo establishments here. Both are available here just not in convenient one stop shopping. A regional thing.
I unpacked the new topbox this morning and set it on the bike for a look. There are two paint blemishes that seem to be from the rack that was packed inside. The shipping company was none too gentle. My HJC modular fits inside but just one, my 15.6 laptop will fit at about four inches up from the bottom not at the bottom. There is an even larger backrest included and a top rack. The color is brighter than the bike but works for me. Emailed the seller about the damage and received an automated response that a human would get back to me... we shall see.

That is just sitting on the tail still lots to do to get it mounted there.

I can just see myself kicking the heck out of this each time I climb on... to be continued

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Karl, When I've got my top box on (and I always have it on), I can't get on except by standng beside the bike and throwing my right leg out in front of me and over the seat, then hopping closer to the bike till I can get some butt down on the seat. I get off with the reverse motion. People always run to catch my bike, thinking I'm about to drop it. But that's not the way I've ever managed to drop it. :)

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
With the condition my condition is in a high step on is not an option. We shall see. I could work on the layout for attaching this or go for a ride as the day warms

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
The bushings got modified tonight and the company emailed me about there return policy. I can get a return # from them. No refunds just exchange I have to pay return shipping. Some reflective tape seems simpler.
$200 for the Box two backrest options a top rack and a mount plate seem a reasonable deal. I plan to keep it as is. the captive nuts ordered from the dealer should arrive tomorrow yikes Monday already. Looking at the stock mounts they are very impressive with little water drain holes to keep them dry. Nice little details. Will wait to cut the cover till I have it all laid out now.
My wife wants to try out the new backrest and can't understand why it is taking me so long to get done. Hi Ho.

the new bits. Bottle for scale purpose only...

Last edited:
OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Had to open it back up today and look at what I had so far.
this is the view from down under

the holes you need to make are easy to find. There are four points you need to get tucked into place to reinstall the cover, The two tabs above the side reflectors and two between the stock aluminum bushings (washers) in the picture.
Scooterdocs design bushings in Delrin rather than aluminum

what the look like in place without the cover. used a half inch drill bit turned with my fingers to ream open the forward bushings. Made a nice fit.

my parts had a bit of a backward slant.

put the box on top of this and did not like the room I had to remove the seat. Need to make something that will give me some room to do that and make it easy to unbolt from the bike...

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Karl, I really admire you guys who can do that sort of stuff. You'll get your adjustments made and it will be a beautiful job.

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Phil it helps to work in a shop with some talented guys that get bored easy. Doc are you able to remove your seat easy enough?
Thanks

zaxs

I can't wait to see how this looks. I am looking at doing the same trunk only in red.

Top Bottom