Anyone have input on the newest generation Kawasaki Concours?

Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
OK, the bug has bitten me. I have all but signed for a new 2012 Kawasaki Concours. I love everything about it. From all the research I have done, it seems that Kawasaki has solved a couple of issues from the prior generation Concours: heavy steering and heat management. I'll certainly miss my NT, if I end up making the deal, but I am in love (or at least meaningful lust) with the Concours. Features I like: huge detachable bags, standard TPMS, ABS, traction control, great weather protection, standard heated grips, electric windscreen...
I would appreciate any input you all might have on this bike, positive or negative. Thanks

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Jeff, You'll love it if my friends are any indication. Several of the guys I rode with while I was putting 165,000 miles on the classic Concours 10 have gotten the C-14. One has one of the first year's production (2007, IIRC) and he says that the heat issue hasn't been an issue for him. Another has a 2nd generation C-14, the 2010, and he loves it too. Steve, the guy with the 2010 model rode it to Alaska last year and had a great trip. Range on the C14 isn't as good as it was on the C10. I could almost always get 250+ out of the C10, both of my friends start looking for gas stations at about 180 miles.

I rode a 2007 when Kawasaki brought seven of them to the Concours Owners Group National Rally in Canaan Valley State Park in West Virginia. I was greatly impressed by the bike, but it just feels too big for me with my short stumpy little ol' semi-crippled legs. I still wish Big K would build a 750-800 cc sport tourer with C-14 characteristics.

docta

Here at the Retirement Home, we have been lusting after, riding and shopping sport tourers lately and the Concours is at or near the top of the list. You will be impressed. The only thing I can't understand is the lack of factory cruise control on these bikes. As I am in no hurry beyond my own lust level, I look forward to the dealership arrival of the new Yamaha FJR1300 and Triumph Trophy SE, both with factory cruise control. The Trophy is more touring oriented and comes with a sound system and electronically adjustable suspension. My Italian side yearns for a Moto Guzzi Norge, but the nearest dealer is a long way from here. They are, though, fairly easy to service.
All the big sport touring bikes will cost more than $15,000, are similarly fast and are very entertaining to ride. You may want to make your choice based on dealership quality, as the bikes will all do the job very well, but most are not particularly owner friendly to service. One of the things I like about the FJR is the 25,000 mile valve adjustment, though I may not live that long. I also have enjoyed the Honda ST1300s I have ridden and love the 7.7 gallon tank, though the bike is on the pricey side and due for an update.
Deal-maker features on my next one include: factory cruise, ABS, traction control and electrically adjustable windscreen, at minimum. Otherwise I'll keep what I have.....don't need a new bike, but I do want one.
If possible, ride a lot before you buy to see what fits you and your riding style best and what provides the strongest emotional connection.....that's what matters most. They are all big, fast, reliable, good-looking and irresistibly enticing....just like the babes here at the Pia Zadora Memorial Golden Buckeye Retirement Home and Assisted Living Center. Carpe diem!

TW

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Great bike but I agree with Docta. The lack of cruise control would be the biggest most glaring feature missing from this bike. I suspect there are aftermarket options for this. The other features on this bike though are tremendous.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
The C14 used to be at the top of my list if I were deciding to get a new sport touring bike... I really like my ST1300 but we all like to dream and if the time came for something to replace it I don't know that it would be another ST1300, just because you may like something different. That being said, I've had 2 GL1800s and 2 ST1300s.. LOL.. so maybe I don't walk the walk.. LOL

Anyway, the C14 has a lot of cool features for not as much money as the other ST bikes out there so it WAS at the top of my list.

Then, Yamaha added some cool features to the 2013 FRJ and only raised the price $300.... Traction Control, Throttle by wire (same system as on the Super Tenere and it's pretty cool), Cruise Control, elec shield that doesn't reset every time you turn the bike off, updated dash, lights, fairing... not bad for just $300 more ... so... if I had to be a new ST bike at this very moment, it would probably be the FJR...

The Trophy is too much $$$ for me and aimed at RT sales which is also too much $$$ for me.

We'll see if Honda has a response for these bikes... price wise it will probably be between the C14/FJR and Trophy/RT.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I have tried to buy a Connie multiple times... My biggest issue has always been the seat height. That was the deciding factor when I bought my first FJ1200 versus the original Connie in the mid 80's, my choice of a 1996 BMW R1100R versus a mid 90's Connie, a Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad versus a Connie in 2000, and last year the new models seat height got me again... I really like the new bike, it rode great, but it is just too darn tall, or wide, or a combination of those two, for me to feel comfortable on... I just keep visualizing the "Help Me, I've Fallen And Can't Get Up!" scenario when I'm on one...:eek1: Personally, I would hold off until I could compare it to the new FJR.. But if you like it, and it fits :rolleyes1:, I can't think of a better high speed tourer...

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Yeah... the FJR is supposed to be better for shorter riders however it also has a more aggressive lean-forward sitting position which I'm not sure I'd like. I always get risers to help get me more upright as that's what I'm comfortable with.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I anxiously awaited the roll out of the C14 when I was riding my C10. But it was a couple years before I rode one. I wanted smaller (like Phil said) but the C14 isn't smaller at all. It was very comfortable for me, but I didn't buy one for two reasons. First I wanted a smaller bike because I'm getting too old to push a heavy motorcycle. And secondly I couldn't ride it slowly. It was just too powerful and smooth with great wind protection. I'd be going 95 when I intended to be going 75 (needs cruise). There was a time when I thought power was good, more power was better, and too much power was just right. That's for the younger crowd.

It is a great bike if that is the kind you want.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
The lack of cruise control would be the biggest most glaring feature missing from this bike.
Friend Mike, the owner of the 2007 Concours who I mentioned, installed the Rostra electronic cruise control on his Concours 14 before he installed one on my NT. So there is an option. I think the throttle / cruise control connection was easier on the big Connie than on the NT.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
All of the MC mags that did shootouts on sport touring bikes had the C14 as the winner until BMW came out with their K1600

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
All of the MC mags that did shootouts on sport touring bikes had the C14 as the winner until BMW came out with their K1600
You always need to read the details of these "shootouts" and decide what you want/need. In virtually all cases the winner is the one with the most "sporty" characteristics among the contenders.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Mellow - you'll take the plunge when Honda refreshes the ST I'm guessing :D
It depends... My ST1300 fits me and I really do like it. So, I will look at it seriously but just not sure if I'll get one until I see what they have and what the price is. I'm happy with my ST1300 and it's not going to self-destruct anytime soon so there isn't a strong need to change it unless Honda just hits one out of the ball park and is everything the 1300 is and more. Rita has expressed some interest in riding more with me in the future so if that's the case a wing is in our future and that would mean I get one other bike for 1-up stuff and there are many options out there for that, heck, I already have 2 of the best options in my garage already IMO.:)

OP
OP
vacanefan
Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Thanks for all the input, guys. I took the plunge today and traded in the NT. I will miss her. But, WOW do I love my first impressions of the Connie. I only took a brief ride, then home in the rain. I'll post a little more after I put a few miles on her. You all will be very encouraged by the trade value, in particular...

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
LOL.. didn't take you long... congrats, will be great to hear your impressions.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Enjoy yourself, Jeff! And, keep us posted on your impressions and experiences with the C14.

rcase13

I would be very interested in what people are getting for trade value. I am waiting to see what Honda does with ST1300 and really like the looks of the Trophy.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Motorcycle Consumer News prints a "Used Bike Value Guide" every quarter. For the NT, they're showing $9475 for the '11, $8465 for the '10, with no value added for ABS on the '10.

Oddly enough, they're showing $9280 for the '09 NSA700, otherwise as the DN-1.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Motorcycle Consumer News prints a "Used Bike Value Guide" every quarter. For the NT, they're showing $9475 for the '11, $8465 for the '10, with no value added for ABS on the '10.
MCN references NADA, as their source, so I checked them out. For what ever reason MCN only lists the 2010 non-ABS in their chart, but uses the NADA numbers. NADA Low Value, effectively the base "Trade In" value at most dealer's, is $6,435 for non-ABS and $6,865 for ABS. The High Value, what they will usually ask for it, is $8,465 and $9,035 respectively. Since lenders often use the NADA guide to establish their maximum Loan Value it will not exceed the NADA "High Value" in most cases. That makes it really hard for the dealer to give you High Value for your Trade In and then sell it at a profit... Unless the deals overall margin is all loaded in on the new bike. So if you are just selling it, not trading it, expect much closer to the Low Value.

Last edited:
Bike
choosing
Then, Yamaha added some cool features to the 2013 FRJ and only raised the price $300.... Traction Control, Throttle by wire (same system as on the Super Tenere and it's pretty cool), Cruise Control, elec shield that doesn't reset every time you turn the bike off, updated dash, lights, fairing... not bad for just $300 more ... so... if I had to be a new ST bike at this very moment, it would probably be the FJR...

Joe: Ditto what you said. If I ever decide (after retirement?) to pull the trigger on a bigger Sport Tourer (not likely),
it would definitely be the FJR. With the new features described by you and the SMALL bump in price, that bike becomes
very attractive. I have heard that the 1400 motor on the Connie is very impressive. If you want more performance
than that bike.....that is something I could not comprehend. That Connie has to be pushing horsepower in the 160 (or a
little more) range??

Joe

Top Bottom