Australian Headlight Protector

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
KathyL from Australia has offered to buy headlight protectors for us and bring them with her when she comes to Texas later this year.

She made this offer a couple of years ago and, IIRC, Eldon (EX-WINGER) and I were the only ones who took her up on the offer. I'm taking her up on that offer again!

When Jim Rau (JungleJim) and I were on our way back from Alaska, we came down the Cassier Highway from Watson Lake to Stuart, BC. Our second day on the Cassier, we were between Dease Lake and Stuart and were in a fairly long construction section or two. The next morning as I was loading my bike in Stuart, I noticed the headlight protector: it had been shattered into 3 pieces, all still attached to the headlight. If that protector hadn't been there, I might well have been looking for a headlight assembly. I'm reasonably sure that there wouldn't have been any near Stuart, British Columbia.

Bike Bandit does sell them and says that they usually ship within 1-2 business days. They cost $184 at retail and Bike Bandit sells them for $139. The $50 or so that the headlight protector costs seems worth it to me. I'm asking Kathy to bring one for me when she comes to the US.

Bike
Black 2006 NT700V
Hey Phil,

You forgot to mention that it's also a whole lot easier to fit/replace a headlight protector than a headlight!

Kathy

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Phil,

I just sent her the same request. Mine went missing after the Bambie encounter!!

Eldon

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Hey Phil,

You forgot to mention that it's also a whole lot easier to fit/replace a headlight protector than a headlight!

Kathy
You are so right Kathy,

I had to wait for a headlight assy to come from LA when mine got broken at Honda shop . I got the only one that was availible in USA at that time!
It seems like there were about two hours of shop labor involved that my extended warranty took care of plus the cost of the headlight unit!

Eldon

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
OK, folks, just in case you didn't know it, it's a whole lot easier to replace a headlight protector than it is a headlight assembly.

(Are you happy now, Kathy?)

I'm on board. On my bucket list is a Key West to Prudhoe Bay run - and I'm thinking I'm going to need the headlight protector - maybe even the radiator guard. In my past life I've been over the Alcan 17 times in cars and pickups - but that was back in the 60's and 70's when half of it was gravel. So put my name on the list of possible buyers. Wendell

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...how should we arrange delivery?...BobAgain]

I'm with Bob. Very interested but need details and also willing to send a check to Australia.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Kathy,
That is so nice of you to help us out with getting headlamp guards. I do suspect that Honda's price for a new headlamp nacelle would be outrageously priced. It doesn't take much to cause damage.

I recently had a truck pass me on the super slab and a pebble about the size of a marble came off the rig. It hit the face shield on my Nolan helmet and took a good gouge out of it and split it almost in half. I would hate to have had that pebble hit me in the face. We have no helmet law here in Maine--so we have a lot of two wheeled organ donors in our state.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Alex, Honda's price for the headlight is a lot more reasonable than Kawasaki's was for the Concours-10's headlight. Honda wants $180 (and you can get it for $140); Kawasaki got over $400.

Bike
Black 2006 NT700V
Hi Folks,

In order to ensure I have sufficient time to order and receive these items before my trip the cut-off date for expressions of interest will be 20 October and the cut-off date for payment will be 29 October.

I would prefer payments are made by PayPal and I will only be asking for payment of the exact amount I am owed. I will not be adding any extra to cover PayPal costs as PayPal allows people sending money to pay the transaction costs (they will be minimal for the amounts involved here) thereby ensuring the person receiving the money gets the full amount - I will provide details on how to send a payment in this way.

If you are not able to pay using PayPal and you have a credit card there is another payment option I can offer - this payment service does not require the person sending money to have an account. However, since this service does not have an option for the person sending money to pay the associated fees I will have to charge about $2.50 extra to cover the fees I will incur.

Last edited:

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Kathy,

Please check your PM file as I sent you an enquiry about total costs. Thanks.

Tosh

Bike
Black 2006 NT700V
Please Note: To ensure I have sufficient time to order and receive these items before my trip the cut-off date for expressions of interest is 20 October and the cut-off date for payment is 27 October.

I too will use PayPal. I'm assuming there is a place on the PayPal form that I can put in your name, etc. - I've never used it for this type of transaction before. I'm going for both the headlight protector and the radiator guard. Just let me know what the total cost is. Thanks Kathy. Wendell

Bike
Black 2006 NT700V
Hi Folks,

Thanks for your interest in the headlight protector and/or radiator guard.

I'll contact each of the manufacturers tomorrow to let them know how many of each item I want to order so that they can work out the cost of shipping them to me.

Once I know the shipping costs I'll let each of you know by personal message how much you'll need to pay - it will only be the actual cost of the item(s) you want plus an equal share of the actual shipping cost I am charged.

In the message I send you I'll also include details of my PayPal email address and the way in which you'll need to process the payment (it's easy but you may not have made a payment in this way previously) to ensure I receive the full amount owing and am not charged any PayPal fees - this is important as I will not be asking for any extra to cover PayPal fees.

Kathy

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Thanks for doing all this for us, Kathy! We appreciate it!

Top Bottom