Battery weird stuff - can it die instantly?

Bike
2010 NT700V
Lots of battery issues show up in spring. And since our bike is now going on 7-9 years old, we would likely be on the third rotation of battery. My automotive background would also suggest that alternators on the bikes will also start to fail.

My shoria Lithium battery took a dive this winter due to my own self inflicted mistake. I left a small battery tender on my battery under the seat and didn't plug it in. The digital tender slowly drew all the power out of the battery and killed it. So don't leave tenders on your battery unplugged.

My last thought on the issue is the availibility of small jump packs that second as usb battery banks. Most could easily fit in a side cowl and double as cell phone charger when the bike is off. But for those times you forget to turn the lights off, or heaven forbid your battery does die, the battery bank could jump and power your bike theoretically as an entire battery replacement. A quick google check listed them around $60. Happy riding out there!

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Short answer on sudden death of modern batteries is "YES." :)

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
My shoria Lithium battery took a dive this winter due to my own self inflicted mistake. I left a small battery tender on my battery under the seat and didn't plug it in. The digital tender slowly drew all the power out of the battery and killed it. So don't leave tenders on your battery unplugged.
FYI. Running a lithium battery completely to "Flat Dead" is not a good thing. It can cause damage to the battery pack or shorten its service life.

Top Bottom