Beaded seat covers

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
On my recent 2,000 mile trip to N'awlins, Natchez et al, my only source of discomfort was my sweaty butt which after a few days in the saddle resulted in a bad case of diaper rash or monkey butt. At least for me, I don't find the stock NT seat uncomfortable for long rides, but in hot weather the prolonged seat time without ventilation to the backside becomes a problem. I am considering a beaded seat attachment to provide the needed ventilation. Can anyone offer their testimonials both pro and con?

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I've used one for several years and mostly during the summer when it helps cooling but I tried it for a different reason. I wanted to see if the beaded cover would keep my bottom dry in an all-day rain, which it does. On a bike, you're actually sitting in a small pool of water - unlike standing or walking - and after x-hours of this, water is forced through the fabric. The beads allow water to escape and also make it much easier to move around but raise seat height by around 1/2." Some riders might find the easy movement unnerving but it's really not bad.

For ref, I wear Aerostich Darien pants and don Frogg Toggs over the top for serious, all-day rain.

Bike
2011 Black nt700va
Love my beaded seat cover. Took it off when I washed her up and just commuted back and forth to work without it, couldn't stand sticking to the seat and not being able to move around. Its been back on ever since.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
LEATHER seat area, Butt area and LDCOMFOT under wear will do the job fro you ,well at least for me! I would use the LD comfort for sure, the leather seat insert will breath while the vional will not. no breathing = wet but and monkey rash.

Eldon

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
In the winter take the rubber cover off from between the tank and the seat and you'll get a flow of warmed air.

Remember to put it back on in summer unless you enjoy roasted nuts.:rofl1:

Bike
+1 Rick,

How did the new cooling vest work for you in the southern HUMIDITY? I suspect you are satisfied as it has not made the for sale listings. I have not had weather to try mine yet. I had it with me a I headed east but mid 50's and rain prevented using it.

Eldon

Bike
LOL, Kind of hard to break a habit that we know works!. I am still real courious if it will work well in the humid areas. no doubt about it in high & dry heat. hopefully some one from the humid zone wii let us know something one day soon.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
LOL, Kind of hard to break a habit that we know works!. I am still real courious if it will work well in the humid areas. no doubt about it in high & dry heat. hopefully some one from the humid zone wii let us know something one day soon.
Eldon, Rick was telling you the LD Comfort and 'Stitch combo worked in high humidity. He had gone to Fort Walton Beach and then home on I-10. When I was on the Epic Ride last August, I rode from San Diego to Lake City on I-10 (and the dab of I-12 you take to go north of Lake Pontchartrain.) The temperature went over 100F while I was on the loop around San Antonio. It didn't get quite that hot the next day, but was very close to 100 from Gulfport to Lake City. Then it got close to 100 again as I was coming back from Key West through the Everglades.

I was hot, but never terribly hot. The LD Comfort/'Stitch combo works. Wish I could wear my 'Stitch.

Bike
I hear you Phil,

I finished my Keywest 4th leg of $X and then bought a apir of ventelated pants to replace the first gear overpants that I had worn all the way around to there. I mailed the FG O pants home and came home with the mesh, & my rain pants just in case I were to get cold. good thing I kept rain suit, I had rain from Tampa to Houstin!

Hopefully I will get to test the Magna kool vest in July, BUT I will have the old faithfuls as a back up, stich and LD comforts. Hailey may be with me in my old Teaz and LD Comforts. WE may be on HD and pulling a trailer so we can carry what we need easily! I bought her the ladies top and a pair of ladies tights and she loves them so far!

Eldon

Bike
Silver NT700V
All this talk of suits is interesting. My Olympia GT Air Transitions is getting a bit long in the tooth. The Velcro bits are losing their grip and the high viz is faded. The only real complaint I have is that the suit is not waterproof and requires a rain suit. The Addition of the rain suit is brutally hot in summer in SE TX. I have been seriously considering a Roadcrafter Light. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Bike
Chuck 500,

Rick and I think pretty much alike regarding the stich. I ordered mine a year ago and received it at the beginning of last summer. Being here in the North wet I opted for the Standard weight strength , I don't know if it is the R-3 or not, I looked st it to try and deermine, but it being a custom fit that is thtag inside of it. I Bought a Darrion light that was on sale 3 to 5 years ago and the wind blocker linner for it.
This Jacket does a good jobwith options of using the wind blocker linner, or a garbing electric linne , or both. I like the pocke configuration on it a little better than on the roadcrafter, primarily becouse of the extra large zipper pocket in the front. AS far as water proof the older Darions were rated as better than the Road crafter as far as doing a beter job in the rain, however I have worn my Roadcraftr n rain all day and have been dry a the end of the day . I think the new zipper system is the key to tha.

I I were living in Houston, or anywhere in that climate I would most likely go for the custom fit and with the best armour availible with it n the Light , or extra light. Your personal choices on pants whether Darieon, or RC is a mater of personal choice , just as two piece, or one piece suit. I believe you can stil have the option oe a darion Jacket matched up with roadcrafter pants in a matching two piece suit. you would need to discuss tha with Aerostich personell. They have not had a pop-up store setting in your vicinity yet so that might be worth asking about , or waiting for, so you can see and try on various combinaions of suits and get proper fitting adjustments measured by the experts in person.

I can say that the quality will be there in any item y ou choose as far as workmanship and material.

The two minor issues I have with them are , 1 they will not alter the torso length of a garmet,one nor two piece and 2. they will not put in a pistol / camara pocket modification into their product in the form of a slash internal pocket at the lower frontal area.

Should you want complete tailored to your particular body size with any and almost any pocket addition take a look at langlitzleathers.com in Portland Oregon.

They do not build with Armour pockets , nor armour as far as ballistic armour goes. Their padded shoulders , elbows , thighs & knees and reinforce butt area are all options. If you desire ballistic armour, you should order a set of Bohn Armour that you will wear under your street cloths and have it on before measuring yourself, or being measured by them etc. BE AWARE! A suit of their product built to your desires can cost 2 1/2 times the price of a Roadcrafter Custom. Also they might be a bit warm for summer wear in your area, although they breath well and adjustment of zippers give you options. Oh yes for comfort and much easier break-in Goat Skin is available and as far as I am concerned it is the material of my choice!
Keep them well treated with their leather dressing and they will she water as well as a Stich!

Their website is very nice to look at!

Eldon

Last edited:

skiper

Red , if the Heresy breaks loose - I'd like to buy the red and white Yamaha you got .. if it gets along with the NT

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
as for the original question: yes, a beaded seat will help. and also powder yourself REALLY well down in that area (baby powder, gold bond, or anti monkey-butt powder) and wear some form of wicking short. i too like the ldcomfort shorts, but any skin-hugging, wicking type short or bicycle shorts will work so long as it isn't cotton.

Bike
Silver NT700V
I had not really thought through the prices differences between the R3 and R3 Light yet. The Olympia is equipped with shoulder, elbow, knee and back pads. I really would not want to ride without these so they would definitely be part of the R3 Light. I guess my main concern is our hot weather and how the R3 would behave in it. On a summer commute I can see temps in the 110 range easily. And speeds can be low. Of course, these are home bound and EVERYTHING is hot at those levels. I don't ride in a lot of rain, but if caught out in it, I would rather be dry. I may try Eldon's ideas, especially the waterproof treatment.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Chuck, the day we ate dinner together in Katy, it had been up in the low 100s between San Antonio and Katy. I was hot but OK in my original Roadcrafter with the LD Comfort long-sleeved/long-legged undergear.

I might not have smelled very good, when I got Kathy and Bob's, but I graciously showered before we all went to eat.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Chris, "thread drift" is a virtual constant in this Forum (and in every other one I've seen). I don't worry too much about it because I read every post on the Forum. If you don't and if very many others don't, then maybe we do need to "re-thread" it.

Any opinions out there?

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
If the thread ain't broke (it ain't!) then it don't need fixin'. It was my thread to begin with so I'm happy with it just the way it is. The drift is OK since the discussion leads to several solutions to the same problem. I have used baby powder in the past for other heat related probs but hadn't thought of using it while riding. The LD underwear solution hadn't occurred to me as well. For those who have used a beaded seat cover, are there any other comfort benefits besides a cool dry butt?

Mike

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
For those who have used a beaded seat cover, are there any other comfort benefits besides a cool dry butt?
Some folks claim they fell like they are getting a massage, at least with the car versions. Personally, I never noticed that....

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Ahh, the joys of thread drift -- we're back in beaded seat-cover territory!

Top Bottom