Best tires I ever bought

When I bought my 2010 NT700VA a couple of months ago with 600 miles on it, knew it needed new tires, pained me to replace crack free 10-year-old tires, but I knew DOT recommendations and experience says 5 years is about it, and they get slippery and hard ridding. Talked to the dealer and tires were extremely difficult to get with the pandemic going on, distributors were out of my favorite Metzler, Bridgestones, my dealer came up with Dunlop Roadsmart III, very impressive tire, soft supple ride, good wet/dry traction, totally ignores perforated metal bridge grids and rain groves that make most tire go nuts, ignores road cracks and separations, so far, I can't find fault with it, other than I got a nail in the rear withing 300 miles and had to replace it, they don't repair MC tires in California. I think I paid $300 for the pair, and now the dealer will not give me a bulk tire discount for flatting one and replacing it in 2 weeks, lol. I highly recommend looking into this tire.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
There are a few other RaodSmart fans on here who will probably chime in. I have not used Dunlops in recent times (since the old bias plys 30+ years ago).

Regarding availability, I like to order my tires BEFORE I need them so can find them in stock and at a good price.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
When I bought my 2010 NT700VA a couple of months ago with 600 miles on it, knew it needed new tires, pained me to replace crack free 10-year-old tires, but I knew DOT recommendations and experience says 5 years is about it, and they get slippery and hard ridding. Talked to the dealer and tires were extremely difficult to get with the pandemic going on, distributors were out of my favorite Metzler, Bridgestones, my dealer came up with Dunlop Roadsmart III, very impressive tire, soft supple ride, good wet/dry traction, totally ignores perforated metal bridge grids and rain groves that make most tire go nuts, ignores road cracks and separations, so far, I can't find fault with it, other than I got a nail in the rear withing 300 miles and had to replace it, they don't repair MC tires in California. I think I paid $300 for the pair, and now the dealer will not give me a bulk tire discount for flatting one and replacing it in 2 weeks, lol. I highly recommend looking into this tire.
+1 Wait til you see how long they last.
+1 to JJ for suggesting you buy 'em before you need 'em. This is the voice of experience talking to you... 😁

Mike

OP
OP
After owning 93 motorcycles, my tire priorities are simple, hard tires are slippery they never stay stuck when you need them, doesn’t matter how long they last. My priorities are ridr comfort, staying stuck to the road, and not being thrown all over the road by Surface regularities. Longevity is unimportant

OP
OP
PS: I bought the Dunlop tires two weeks before I drove 950 miles to buy my NT700V, on the way back home I dropped it by the dealer to have the tires installed. I always plan ahead

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Glad everybody's having good luck with the Dunlops. I might give them a try in the future. Currently have over 9k miles on the Continental Road Attack 3's on my NT, still plenty of tread and grip left. I'm especially pleased with the tread life up front, I had not had good front tire life on the NT until I fitted the Contis.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
After owning 93 motorcycles, my tire priorities are simple, hard tires are slippery they never stay stuck when you need them, doesn’t matter how long they last. My priorities are ridr comfort, staying stuck to the road, and not being thrown all over the road by Surface regularities. Longevity is unimportant
Marty, you will get comfort, grip and longevity with the Dunlops.

Mike

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
the roadsmart III front is the best tire i had for most longest miles. i got around 23,000 miles once. still have them. only on front, the rear would not last as long for me. i use michelin pr5, was pr4, or pr3 before

as many motorcycles that you have had, you need your own tire changing equipment. i have no-mar stuff, i ride too many miles to work to goto dealerships. twice i have put a car patch on INSIDE to keep using tire in safe manner, from depending on a plug type fix.

when i bought me used 2010 NT (2nd), 508 miles, i road with OEM tires till needed to change. didn't have any problems with grip, etc, even at 8 / 9 yrs old

Ron Hudson

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V..95PC800
have 2000 miles on roadsmart III looking good and solid feel rain or dry.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I've been buying my tires about 4-5 months before they're actually needed. This allows me to age them properly because you don't want to mount "green tires." :)

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Am pretty happy with my Michelins. Have fond memories of Avon Tyres when I rode Nortons. Would love to own a Norvin--of course that's like a pipe dream of owning a Cobra.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Woodaddict - I have a box of these that I bought long ago and if you have to remove the tire to make a repair, this is the best repair unit to use because it combines a round rubber end to go through the puncture and a circular patch for the inside. Over the past 10-15 years, I've had to use two of them at different times and in both instances, the tire was only a few weeks old when I picked up a nail or screw.

If it was a half-worn tire, I would have just plugged it from the outside with a sticky worm and I've done that before but I'd like more permanance with a new tire. And I know some of you have had good luck with sticky worms, working for many thousands of miles but I guess I'm just a worry wart. :)

Last edited:
Bike
2011 NT700V ABS
I have been using a set of Pirelli Angel GT tires for about 8K mile. .Rear still has plenty of tread and front looks new. These are excellent sport touring tires and are supposed to be good in the wet.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
Woodaddict - I have a box of these that I bought long ago and if you have to remove the tire to make a repair, this is the best repair unit to use because it combines a round rubber end to go through the puncture and a circular patch for the inside. Over the past 10-15 years, I've had to use two of them at different times and in both instances, the tire was only a few weeks old when I picked up a nail or screw.

If it was a half-worn tire, I would have just plugged it from the outside with a sticky worm and I've done that before but I'd like more permanance with a new tire. And I know some of you have had good luck with sticky worms, working for many thousands of miles but I guess I'm just a worry wart. :)
yes, i am aware of these type of plugs. just something more i have to buy!!!??? i have gummy worms, mostly not have done well, loosing a little air every day or so. so i patch inside with a tire patch, so i have confidence, that proper air is always in tire. i have tire changing equipment to get the job done, so its easy at home

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
+1 to JJ for suggesting you buy 'em before you need 'em. This is the voice of experience talking to you... 😁
Golly gee, Mike, I sure wish I could pay attention to the voice of experience. But as old as I'm getting, I don't have much hope that will ever happen.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
+1 on having your own tire changing equipment. I bought a rim stand/bead breaker that mounts to a bench, and a Harbor Freight balancer, total expenditure less than $200. I'll set aside a half day to do 1 tire, strange but I actually enjoy doing them.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
My NC700/w DCT, came from the factory with Pirelli tires which wore quickly. On an experiment I bought a set of Shinkos but can't remember the model. They were on sale when bought as a set at around $160 but I found them harsh and slippery so I was happy to replace after only 6k miles. I put on a set of Michelin Pilot Roads and similar to my experience with those tires on my NT, they work well.

I disagree about the DCT wearing out rear tires prematurely. It does shift much faster than I ever could but the shift is smooth. Riding in the hilly, twisties of southwest OH, I have downshifted on a fairly tight curve in the rain (!) and the rear never stepped out! I ride in "D" 100% of the time and manually downshift as necessary. :)

Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Golly gee, Mike, I sure wish I could pay attention to the voice of experience. But as old as I'm getting, I don't have much hope that will ever happen.
<sigh>..... that's my problem Phil. Very often I don't listen to the voice of experience and it bites me in the ass every time. After said bite I then vow to listen to the voice next time.... next time comes around and I disregard the voice yet again..... a vicious cycle indeed!

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
At our age, it's often a case of forgetting about the "voice of experience" by the time the next situation arrives. It's all part and parcel of "Everyday is a Saturday" mentality.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Plus, I'm getting pretty deaf when I don't have my hearing aids in, so sometimes, I just can't hear the voice.

Top Bottom