Best tires I ever bought

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Actually, it's more like wake up, control, alt, delete, every day is a new day!
:rofl1:
Mike

Bike
2010 silver NT700
Probably depends on the use. I'm in stop-and-go traffic, constantly...traffic in our little burg is not to be BELIEVED.

I know it was less than a hundred miles, between the time I was showing the bike to someone (negotiating on an RV trailer) who was a rider and interested in the DCT, and when I found the steel belt exposed over half the tire surface. Seriously. We were having a pleasant show-and-tell, him walking me through the trailer and then casting hungry eyes on the NC...and so I let him ride it around the block. Like a seasoned rider, he first looked at the rear tire and said, you're looking to need a tire, soon.

I said, yeah...I think it still has some life on it. In a few months...

But there was no wear through to the steel belt. Not then. A handful of miles and four days later, that steel belt was poking through. Terrific. And I can't get anyone to replace the tire, for weeks ahead.

(Same with putting a hitch on my new-to-me truck...ALL mechanical work is backed up. We're in a period of explosive growth here...)
W rated tires have a very thin carcass. You can feel it in the weight of the tire. I checked my tire on the back of my NC before riding 240 miles to my destination.....it appeared to have enough tread for that distance, and the return trip. When I got there, there was a 1" band of steel showing around the center of the tire. It was Sunday, and the bike shops were also closed Monday. My wife drove a spare tire I had in the garage and some tire irons over to me and I changed it out. I learned my lesson with W rated tires that day. From the wear bars to dangerously bald, happens quickly.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Do you actually have a bike that needs W-rated (168 mph) tires? And if you do, it's certainly not an NC700 or even an NC750! :)

Bike
2010 silver NT700
Do you actually have a bike that needs W-rated (168 mph) tires? And if you do, it's certainly not an NC700 or even an NC750! :)
The tires that came on my NC were Z rated. I have a pair of Dunlop 509 DP tires on there now, off a new NC 750. They are Z rated as well. I agree that H rated would be fine, but any 160/60 tires I have looked at are Z rated. I don't get it....

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Most likely because the 160/60 size is fitted to many sport bikes. I wonder if tire manufacturers still make tires with S (112 mph) or H (130 mph) ratings?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Most likely because the 160/60 size is fitted to many sport bikes. I wonder if tire manufacturers still make tires with S (112 mph) or H (130 mph) ratings?
I don't think so. There's no reason to do that, since it costs more (I'd guess) to make molds for different sizes and change rubber compounds to vary the speed ratings than it's worth. I don't remember ever seeing any lower rated tires since I started riding my own (relatively) new bikes in '99.

Bike
2010 silver NT700
Lighter bikes with low horsepower still require S rated tires. They are designed to heat up quicker than an H or higher speed rated tire would. If I was looking for street only tires for my Versys 300, I would get something S rated. Although the selection of S rated tires is somewhat limited.

Bike
2010 silver NT700
I think you are right about sport tires.....they crank them out. The 160/60/17 is an inexpensive tire. The ZR140/70/17 I put on my CB-1, cost $30 more than the 160/60 for the NC. Both Conti Motions, and both from the same seller. I believe that most sport tires have no natural rubber in the them. This may contribute to the cheaper price compared to a more touring oriented tire. Natural rubber wears better according to the internet. ;)

Reactions: ett

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
"...Lighter bikes with low horsepower still require S rated tires...Hondafan"

Perhaps symantics but recommend , rather than require would be more correct.

I'm sure they'd be OK if fitted with higher speed rated tires and my guess is that there wouldn't be much of any loss of traction with the tires cold. With only 300 cc, it's not as if you can do instant burnouts! :)

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've always understood that WD-40 is not intended to be a lubricant. It'll be interesting to see how it compares.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
From what I've read, WD-40 (WD = water displacement) was originally formulated to keep raw metal parts from rusting before they went to the next process. And one thing for sure, if you're on a long trip and need WD-40 you're likely to find it almost anywhere!

And in ref to the tire speed rating being way over the top, I would venture a guess that it's in some way related to the Firestone/Bridgestone law suit from the mid-90s with tire mfgs not wanting to be caught off guard again. Against the wishes of Firestone/Bridgestone, Ford lowered the tire pressure to make the ride softer on their SUV and those tires suffered lots of blowouts. Unfortunately, Bridgestone (parent company of Firestone) took the brunt of the financial blame.

During my working days and after that happened, I saw lots of paranoia over what was once considered small problems that only affected a tiny number of customers becoming full blown recalls. Originally the word Recall was only used to define a problem that could cause the vehicle to crash or stop running but now it's used for everything these days! :(

Last edited:
Top Bottom