Bicycling shorts under Kevlar jeans?

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Hi Guys,
This June I'm going on a long trip (CA to VA) and in the past have used a gel seat on top of the saddle to make things more comfortable (with mixed results).
My girlfriend suggested that I wear bicycling shorts under my Kevlar lined jeans that have a chamois interior and a gel insert along the vital parts. She says that they are very comfortable.
My wife thinks I should sit on a piece of splintery plywood so that I suffer for abandoning her for three weeks.
What do y'all think? Have any of you worn that type of bicycling short?
Here's the one I'm considering: Arsuxeo Men Anti-slip Cycling Shorts Quick Dry Breathable Compression Tights with 3D Gel Padding for Bike Riding Shock Absorption

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I have a spasming pubo rectalis. I use an Airhawk R model seat Pad that relieves pressure on a certain area, but I use a fake sheepskin seat cover over that and boy does that make a difference. Nothing wrong with the bike shorts....just try them before you take them on a long ride.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I’ve worn bike shorts while riding my motorcycle but they didn't help much for me. I had pretty comfortable bikes at the time (Concours 10 and NT with Russell DL saddle). I believe they would help more if you were riding a KLR 650 or a dirt bike. For me, adding too much padding on a motorcycle is counterproductive. It gets so soft that no matter how you squirm or move there is always pressure you can't get away from. Makes pee stops more awkward too.

Best advice I can give for a long ride is "don't get your but sore in the first place". When you feel it coming on take a break. Once my butt is sore it doesn't resolve quickly but if I take breaks and keep it from getting sore I do much better. After about 3 days on the road when you get on your bike in the morning it just feels like home. You should be good to go after that.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I've worn bike shorts while bicycling and they are helpful there. The moisture wicking helps, esp if hot temperatures involved.
For a motorcycle trip I would do some test rides to see how they work for you. Not every one is the same.

Brad

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I have worn bicycle shorts with foam padding on trips longer than 4 hours. I find them helpful.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I usually wear LD comfort shorts. They keep my skin dry. I wear REI Coop Sahara pants with the legs off over the LD shorts. If it is really hot, I'll put the legs back on the REI pants and wear long-legged LD bottoms. I have worn bicycle shorts, but never noticed that they helped that much. Of course, I've always had good seats from the house of Russell. :cool:

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
I bicycle alot so tried my biking shorts on a motorcycle trip. It sucked ! The shorts are not designed for sitting on a spongy seat so I found them very uncomfortable on my motorcycle. Just my experience.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
...and also very warm. My other gripe with wearing bicycle shorts under my riding pants was another layer of stuff to undo when making a potty stop!

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The wicking ability of bicycle shorts is nice, but the padding protecting "the boys" really doesn't do much good on a motorcycle seat. I use LD shorts for the wicking.

Mike

OP
OP
harryhendo
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Thanks for the responses folks! I'm going to order a pair of the LD shorts. They look comfortable and designed for motorcycle riders. It's the inner seam of my jeans rubbing into my thighs that causes the discomfort which hopefully those LDs will eliminate. I'll let you know after my 5K mile trip how they worked out.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
It's the inner seam of my jeans rubbing into my thighs that causes the discomfort which hopefully those LDs will eliminate.
Harry, that inner seam is eliminated by the REI pants I wear. They're thin material but they keep me warm (especially with the LD long pants).

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I solved my riding pants dilemma way back in 2012 when I ordered custom length Darians. Now, I finally had pants that were comfy for me and at a friend's suggestion I bought one size larger than my street pants. This allowed me to wear long johns without the Darians feeling too tight and at the opposite end of the weather spectrum, on hot days all the extra room in the legs helped keep me cool; in fact, they were more comfy on hot days than a pair of vented pants I had at the time! Except for long johns on those cold days, I've never worn "long pants" under my Darians and they're perfectly comfy with just my undies.

By the way, I still own those Darians and after 9 years, the fly zipper gave up so I sent them back for repair. Aerostich Repair Dept replaced the zipper and had them back to me in under 2-weeks from the time they were received in Duluth. Thank you Aerostich! :)

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
...the inner seam of my jeans rubbing into my thighs that causes the discomfort...
Pretty much the issue I had with everything I'd tried in the past, worse when it's hot and your sweaty (can't even lift a leg over the bike, or an arm up to the helmet because the stitches stick on your moist skin...<argh!> 😠)
Took me a while to find the solution, but now I'm riding batman style (underneath at least):

This is SO comfy, no protruding stitches or seams, you stay completely dry (or warm when hitting odd weathers, actively boosting the function of GoreTex), can be hand washed anytime and dries really quick (don't use softeners, do not wring though...) and the anatomical compression weave supports muscles and circulation...

Not cheap though, but totally worth it... I'm convinced hence don't care about Men in Tights jokes... 😄

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I like the LD Shorts. If my butt gets sore, I find Butt Buttr (available in bicycle stores) a Godsend.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
Dainese Dry Tee?
I use their Aero Tee/Pant LL... thin fabric, ideal for summer (function fabric sweater and/or jacket thermo liner can be added anytime bad weather strikes...)
Also convinced my GF (on her NT700) to similar type underwear (different designs for winter or summer use) she really loves now, as they feel completely neutral temperature wise...
This stuff also eliminates that damp feeling that can occur in GoreTex stitches while riding in heavy rain...
REV'IT Airborne shirts & pants are also nice for the cooler seasons... but they're not as slim fit as the Dainese products...

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Didn't anyone else pick up in the "Girlfriend & Wife" mention??? That could be a whole different problem. 😱 I am just saying...

Like these pants and the fit.

Joe Rocket Phoenix Ion Mesh Pants

These are over pants that are worn over your street clothes. They also come with the Level 1 CE Armor in the hips and knees.

I ride in the "Hot" So Cal weather all the time and they do pretty well.

My only complaint about them is the zippers are on the inside of the legs.

I went down last September while wearing these. They did their job and saved my hide, mainly my rump.

I'd recommend buying the next size up from what the sizing chart calls out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom