Big lids are on!

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Put my big lids on today using my $8 Harbor freight tool roll ratchet set. I shortened the Port straps a bit using cable ties. Both lids fit OK. The port lid, which I use the most, is pretty good. The Starboard one
a tad less so but acceptable. Note how both bike have there helmet latches near the license plate, and both bikes came with something like a luggage rack that is now covered by a real luggage rack. Both bikes
have Cee Baileys on them although if I had to do it all over again, I might have purchased the plus 6 instead of the plus 4...I wonder if the plus 6 is also wider and has a flip?

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
With the shortened straps can you get a full face helmet in the left lid? It looks close in the pic. With my unshortened straps the helmet fits in the left side big lid.

Brad

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Chris, I left the original straps that came with the smaller lids--no problems.

DOMINO

Hi Chris, Where did you buy the big lids? I had thought they were only available in the UK (Europe) as a Deauville accessory. Thanks, Domino.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Scooterdoc, what's a "darkly?"

Domino, the big lids are only available from the other side of the pond. I got mine from Honda of Bouremouth and I think that's where Chris says he got his. They're not cheap by the time you add in shipping, but, IMNSHO, they're well worth it.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I ordered my big lids from Ling Honda in UK. I had good cust service from them.
I do like the big lids. I don't have a top case so the big lids let me put a helmet in the left side bag.

Brad

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I'm guessing that any of the bigger UK dealers will provide the same leverl of service. I bought one set from David Silver Spares, but Honda slapped their wrist for selling new parts -- they're not a full-line dealer and are limited to new - old stock.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Getting farkles from various shops in the UK is no big deal. My ST1300 top box (now mounted on my NT) and the large panniers were both obtained that way.

I replaced the restraining straps altogether with a quick-disconnect approach that allows me to swap large for standard in 10 minutes and I don't have to unscrew anything that's screwed into plastic. Only the hinges. Also, replacement of those flat straps with round lamp cord eliminated that problem of the forward port strap sagging into the way of closing the lid.

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
I'll be putting on my Silver large lids in a couple of weeks prior to the cross country trip that will eventually take me to Spearfish NT gathering in July. We'll have to see how my "bi-racial" look goes... silver panniers on a Red Bike. I'm not trying to unite the two major NT tribes. I'm just being cheap, lazy, and practical.

Don't want the big lids on around here because of my need to filter when in the heavy NYC traffic. So they'll come off when I return.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
With the shortened straps can you get a full face helmet in the left lid? It looks close in the pic. With my unshortened straps the helmet fits in the left side big lid.

Brad
Never felt the need to put a helmet into a pannier....I just use the license plate mounted locks....

Bike
2010 RED NT700V #1188
Don't want the big lids on around here because of my need to filter when in the heavy NYC traffic. So they'll come off when I return.
Are the big lids that wide that they would cause an issue with filtering?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
They're still not quite as wide as the mirrors. I never need to filter, so I can't say for sure, but I'd think I'd be slightly more cautious.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Are the big lids that wide that they would cause an issue with filtering?
The problem is that the bags are out of sight behind you and wider bags decrease your margin from things that stick out low on vehicles, like fender protrusions, bumpers, and bicycle racks. The big lids are wider than the crash "pods" and you could therefore clear something like a boat trailer fender with them and still scrape your lid on it.

Example: I scraped a side bag on my last ST1300 pulling into the carport and brushing a trash can cart.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
I do a unique form of "filtering". Namely when boarding the ferry. What will happen is sometimes they will board remaining MCs after all the cars, putting you on the back of the boat on the main deck in the center bay. Now it's advantageous if you can squeeze past the last car on the left or right of the main deck to get into one of the lower-deck side wings. One reason is that area gets unloaded much earlier in the process than the main bay. Another is this way you get to the front of what becomes a rolling traffic jam instead of at the end of it.

Because the fore and aft decks taper inward, it depends on how far that last car is from the side AND how slim your bike is. It can matter whether I have the Zoe or the Oprah lids on. If the car is a standard sedan, it can be that the mirror will go over the fender and you can still get by the car.

A couple of times on my ST's I removed and remounted a bag or two to squeeze by.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
On our Ferries, bikes go first and get off first. Bicyclists walk on and can go anywhere. Filtering on anything but a bicycle (in the repair lane) is way beyond my comfort zone.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
On our Ferries, bikes go first and get off first. Bicyclists walk on and can go anywhere. Filtering on anything but a bicycle (in the repair lane) is way beyond my comfort zone.
Well, motorcycles get on ahead of cars, but only the ones that are there when loading starts. These MC's will get to unload before the cars. Once all cars have been loaded, late arriving MC's are then loaded. But there is no way for these bikes to get let off in that first wave. This little bit of "filtering" can move me ahead of 80-90 cars I might otherwise have to follow down the two-lane roads one either end of the ferry run. I'm still not getting off "first", but close to it.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Our ferries are not near the size of the Whidbey Island Ferry. In 1970 I lived in the second house on the left on the entrance to the Whidbey Island Ferry. I have been told that the whole area has gone high line and is nowhere where it was then. I used to commute to Ft.Lewis in my 'Vette.

Top Bottom