Boots Help?

Bike
2009 BMW R1200RT
As usual, I have a new rider question...
I have been using my chippewa lace up boots with a vibram sole as my riding boots. They are very comfortable, even in the hot summer and probably as waterproof as any leather boots. I do own some rain covers, in case of an all day rain.
I wonder...
Is there a real issue with laces on boots on a motorcycle? Really? With long, armored, J Rocket pants?
How much difference will I notice with a smoother sole on a motorcycle boot?...not only on the pegs, but on the pavement when feet are down, or backing up, for example?
Do I need riding boots? If so, do I need to spend $500?
TX,
Pete

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
Provided the boots you have provide the protection required to the ankle and, possibly, the shin, there's no need to change them.

My boots are Gore-tex motorcycle boots by AplineStars and cost me about 200? (USD $225). Though I note that they are $299 on the AlpineStars site -shop around. They are really waterproof - DAMHIK.

Caveat: There isn't really a substitute for properly design equipment for the job you are doing. Wet feet are distracting and can cause hypothermia. Try to ensure your boots are waterproof. If not use a waterproofing agent or cover.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Unless riding dirt I just use regular boots. Mine are Danner tactical boots. I need all day comfort, be able to hike miles in them, and still be presentable enough for work.

There are those who claim laced boots will abrade and come off, or that roper style will slip off. I think the chances are slim. Just like I don't subscribe to knuckle protection on gloves. The chances of 'serious' injury due to lack of armored boots (or gloves) is very low to me.

If I were that concerned with ATGATT I'd have one of the airbag suits.

FWIW, recently I know of three people who died in crashes while wearing full gear. Hitting a car, tractor or guardrail at speed and it doesn't matter what boots you have on.

PS for 20 yrs of riding all I wore were some work gloves and my work clothes (but I did have a FF helmet :) ).

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Your boots have no armor in them. I have also seen boots with laces, ripped off a riders foot, as the laces actually tore loose in an accident. I only wear armored motorcycle boots without laces. You can get decent ones for around $250. I wear TCX. Of course you are free to wear whatever you want.

Last edited:

JQL

Bike
Most motorcycle boots will not come off in an accident unless the foot has rotated 180?. In that case you're going to have some rather interesting injuries to your foot, ankle, leg, knee, hip or pelvis or any combination of these!

Your foot will only rotate through 180? if you put it down on the ground while travelling at (high) speed.

Boots for most of us should, instead, be designed to protect the foot from abrasion and protect from injuries if the bike or other object comes into contact with it.

Bike
2009 Deauville NT700V Red
About 18mths ago I caught a stripped off truck tyre. It was almost complete and in the middle of the highway. The side-wall was torn and standing vertically. It was a BIG tyre I swerved and lifted my foot, but my foot still hit it. I stayed upright but saw stars. My foot felt like it was compressed to 5inches, the sole was torn back half way. What was on my feet?, "budget" motorcycle boots. Good to walk in comfy, flexible sole. I have learnt one thing. Don't buy walking boots to ride in and don't buy riding boots for walking. Your boots need to be able to take impact. A stationary object 60Mph, no matter what it is, is going to hurt.
If they are not designed as motorcycle boots or are just look-a-likes (budget) they really are not going to work for you when you need it.
BTW price is no indication of quality.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Your boots have no armor in them. I have also seen boots with laces ripped off a riders foot as that laces actually tore loose in an accident. I only wear armored motorcycle boots without laces. You can get decent ones for around $250. I wear TCX. Of course you are free to wear whatever you want.
No, they don't have any armor in them. Toe is reinforced, but, not steel. My gloves aren't armored or reinforced either and the hands are far more likely to get hurt. I also don't wear a chest protector when on the street even though many suffer broken ribs in an accident.

Pick your poison.

OP
OP
NooBiker
Bike
2009 BMW R1200RT
I have been trying to find a way to be a safe rider since purchasing my first bike last year.
Seems to me that protective gear is pointless...until it's not. I have no problem buying the right gear.
ATTGATT...Full face Scorpion helmet, J Rocket ballistic jacket and pants. Yes, my chippewa boots would withstand an abrasion, however, there isn't any armor on the ankle, shin or the toe. I'm not convinced that there is any more effective armor on most motorcycle boots either.
(BTW- Seems to me that boots with large metal clips right on the ankle bone are foolish.)

I couldn't possibly care any less about how I look either. I just don't want to spend any more than I have to to be safe and comfortable.

Bike
KLR650, Red NT700V, YZFR3
As usual, I have a new rider question...
I have been using my chippewa lace up boots with a vibram sole as my riding boots.
Is there a real issue with laces on boots on a motorcycle?
I would have no issues with lace up boots your choice sounds good to me. When I ride with lace up boots I tuck the laces in.
There is a urban legend about the laces getting caught in the pegs causing difficulty removing your leg, it has never happened to me.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I am wearing my 2nd pair of TCX X-5 boots. This one's got about 70,000 miles of riding and nowhere near that much walking. :) They're comfortable enough to walk in and/or wear all day. They are GoreTex lined and my feet have never gotten wet at all, even when I've ridden all day in hard rain. They're warm enough (for me to wear in the winter and I've ridden them in temps up to 113 and my feet weren't any hotter than anything else. You can buy them from motorcyclegear.com for $289.99. So, they're hardly cheap, but they've been worth money AFAIC.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
http://youtu.be/M7Rny1pNYzQ

The YouTube link is a motorcylist reviewing the aftermath of running into a deer. Note the part about one of his lace up boots blowing out the laces and the boot coming off his foot and he sustained some injuries due to that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NooBiker
Bike
2009 BMW R1200RT
Thanks Warren!
I guess I would wonder if $300 motorcycle specific boots would have stayed on his foot any better?

I am mostly convinced that armor at the ankle and probably the shin is a good idea. No, I don't want to hike the John Muir trail in motorcycle boots or ride my NT with Cole Haan loafers. At this point, I think I'm convinced that armored boots are better than just plain leather at the ankle and shin.

I bought my helmet, jacket and pants and wear them, simply because I believe that in a crash, I will be glad I have the armor and abrasion resistance. Certainly better than the jeans and a t-shirt that I see many of the Harley riders wearing here in Willie G land.
I'm not convinced that a $900 Schuberth SR1 helmet is going to protect my head any better than my $300 Scorpion. Is my scorpion better than a $50 half helmet? Yes.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I don't know if the outcome would have been any different but in 91 or 92 I had an accident where my ankle was pinched between the bike and a truck bumper. It was low speed ~35 MPH. I was wearing 8 inch tall work boots. There wasn't much grinding or sliding but it broke my ankle.
I can't imagine an 8 inch boot coming off unless the laces get ground down and break. The work boots have no padding/armor but are heavy leather and should protect some in a sliding type accident. Trouble is you don't get to pick out how the accident will play out.

Brad

JQL

Bike
As to boots for riding and boots for walking. I seem to recall that the NT has panniers... :tongue: :biggrin:

Why not put your shoes/walking boots in one of the cases? It's what I do. When I get to my destination my riding boots are swapped for shoes/boots and I'm good to go. I do this a number of times a day when visiting clients. It's one of the reasons I bought the NT700.

As to helmets, I would check the Sharp's Rating which gives you a good idea which helmets fair best in simulated accidents.

BTW The Schuberth C3 Pro (?461.65 / $654.00) is only 3 Star whereas the Caberg Duke/Tourmax (?149.99 / $212.00) is 5 stars. The difference is in the comfort and quality of the interior finish. The Schuberth is streets ahead IMHO...

:bigpop:

JQL

Bike
I guess I would wonder if $300 motorcycle specific boots would have stayed on his foot any better?
Provided his foot didn't rotate through 180? AND the boots were properly fastened, they would have stayed on. That's one of the main design criteria.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NooBiker
Bike
2009 BMW R1200RT
Obviously any protection is relative to the accident. No boots are going to protect my foot in a severe crash where my foot twists 180 degrees...and if my leg is unattached, the abrasion resistance is pointless.

My Chippewa boots (yes, they are made by real Indians drinking Leinenkugels) are pretty heavy duty, but offer no ankle or shin protection. The Dainese TRQ appears to have the most protection of any non-motocross boot. This TRQ has more plastic than a Chevrolet, but Dainese claims some support for twisting injuries and the plastic bits are removable. (It'd be all but assured that the twisting injury would happen right after removing the cute plastic ankle support.) Now if I could get over looking like forest gump...run forest run!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

OP
OP
NooBiker
Bike
2009 BMW R1200RT
For whatever it's worth, the over-analysis has ended.
I ordered the Dainese TRQ Tour Boots. Real leather, Gore-Tex and above average armor.
I appreciate all the input, thank you all. I'm outta here, on the road, any day now!!

Bike
Silver NT700V
Obviously any protection is relative to the accident. No boots are going to protect my foot in a severe crash where my foot twists 180 degrees...and if my leg is unattached, the abrasion resistance is pointless.

My Chippewa boots (yes, they are made by real Indians drinking Leinenkugels) are pretty heavy duty, but offer no ankle or shin protection. The Dainese TRQ appears to have the most protection of any non-motocross boot. This TRQ has more plastic than a Chevrolet, but Dainese claims some support for twisting injuries and the plastic bits are removable. (It'd be all but assured that the twisting injury would happen right after removing the cute plastic ankle support.) Now if I could get over looking like forest gump...run forest run!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
For what it's worth, I have had a pair of Alpinestars Ridges since 2008. they are similar to the third photo above. Probably near 90,000 miles on them. The soles are getting a little slick and they leak (though they did not when new). I will likely order another pair because I know they fit. They "relatively" comfortable to walk in. Also, I have had a foot peg come down squarely on my ankle in one of my (too many) stop-and-drop incidents. Didn't feel a thing.

OP
OP
NooBiker
Bike
2009 BMW R1200RT
Well said. We do not get to pick the situation of the "gear test", but I think it's prudent to use safe and comfortable gear.
Safety on a motorcycle is a personal decision and all manufacturers are going to make whatever sells. Caveat emptor!

Sure, shoes for the rider that just rides around town and never gets above 35 mph should be different than shoes for a track day. Who is that guy that's convinced that the leather hi top sneakers labeled as motorcycle shoes are anything more than cute shoes? Chuck Taylor's are a fraction of the price!

Top Bottom