Boots Help?

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Arround 98 or 99 I read In one of the late , great Ron Ayres books of his preference and recommendation for REdwing 8 or 10 inch boots with a gortex ininning. I was in the market at the time and proceded to the Redwing store and ordered a pair . Break-in went smoothly and I wore them until early 2007. They did a good jo, wer comfortable and were very good for walking etc. The laces were stuffed inside thtops and stayed put there.Tjey did not have anlle support/ armor.

In 2006 I suffered a broken ankle with a dropped gl1800 in a rest area. op; or anti freeze slick spot at maybe 1 MPH. Pinned to ground by rear crash bar. I did a lot of thinking about boots during the next 6 months of rehab etc and decided to go to a boot with more protection. After much research I went for ISDI OnRoads. A great boot thatI still have that have well over 100k on them and the second sole & heel rep;acement. They are not totally comfortablle or 24-7 use, and as JQL says , a secondary pair of walking shoes in a saddle bag is a prudent idea.
Do I blame the broken ankle on the Redwings?, no It probably would have been similar results with the SIDI. If I had not given the redwings away I would aqqquire some ankle armour etc and have a good shoe repairman add it to the redwingsShould I add another pair of boots to the shoe/ boot rack I would give those that Phil Recommended a try..LOL I doubt that will happen as I have the SISI with maybe 15 K on the reso;le job, a pair of Alpinestars, NS pair OF lANGLITZ/ WEST COAST BOOTS, ALL WITH GOOOD SOLES AND DWELL OILED , WATER PROOF AND COMFORTABLE & SLL BSVKRF UP EITH LIGHTER WALKING SHOES..

Any boot will provide some protection , normaly a the better its quality the better the protection, though none of them are totally fool proof.

In boots as other gear my personal opinion is like for all gear, Dam the expense & get the very best you can afford!

Eldon

Bike
2010 NT700V
I truly believe in ATTGATT. I wear a $150.00 pair of Tourmaster waterproof boots. When I ride in sub 40 degree weather I use toe warmers, that works for me. Last May I went down on my C14 in some gravel on an off_kilter downhill at about 35mph. Landed on my knee and forearm, ended up with a hole in my riding pants over the knee armor and a friction burn on my forearm. No other injuries except for a major bruised ego!!

Top Bottom