Bridgestone BT023 Tyres

Bike
Silver NT700V
I can second the BT023s. I've got about 6,000 miles on mine and they seem to be wearing very well.

elizilla

I do have one comment about Avons. Years ago (in the last century, actually), based on another 1100 rider's recommendation, I had two sets (don't recall the model) in succession on my ST1100. Both tires of both sets came apart at around 4,000 miles. Plenty of tread, but the sidewalls came apart all the way around, showing cord, and (as you might expect) would no longer hold air. I've avoided Avons like the plague ever since.
One of my friends had a catastrophic failure on an Avon tire, back in the 90s, and has a long comical story about getting a strangely helpful local cop to boost him over the fence into the backyard of a closed motorcycle shop, so he could pick through their dumpster and find a usable tire to get him back on the road. They left the Avon tire in that dumpster. On Monday he called Avon, and Avon moved heaven and earth to get the tire back from that dumpster. They determined that it was a faulty tire and sent him some new tires which he never used - he swore off Avons as well.

In spite of my friend's horror story, I started using them on my V65 Sabres, which had very few choices available. I went through a lot of tires on those bikes, and the Avons served me extremely well, better than any other tire I tried there. This led me to use them on other bikes, and I always had good experiences there too. So I'm actually a very satisfied Avon customer. Maybe their tires are better now than they were 20 years ago. My friend's story does show Avon as a company very interested in studying any failures, and willing to learn from them. Steady improvement is good.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Another interesting anomaly. Other than the Avons, typically I'd go through 2 rear tires on my ST1100 for every front tire. But my 1300's would wear both out at basically the same time, roughly 11 - 12 K per set.

MrSinator

Well, there was so much talk about the 023's that I decided to give them a shot. I could only afford to put one tire on at a time and I did get a little worried about having a bias ply on the back with a
45v while still running an almost bare radial up front. I now have 023's on the front and back. I had the front put on today but it's been very rainy here so far this week and I haven't been able to really play with them. Since they aren't scuffed yet I'm not really wanting to play hard until it dries up a bit.

MrGrinch

I just got the front to complete my set of 023's yesterday and got a chance for a decent ride today. I have to say that they handle so much better than the 020's they replaced. It handles so much better, I don't have to press into turns nearly as hard as I did with the 020's.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
The stock tires are hypersports tires read soft and sticky. When they get worn out the don't work as well as new tires from anyone.
My o23's have been on for just under one season for my riding and the front has some wear on it but still working well for me. The rear is fine so far. May have to swap the front first... will have to see.
One of the vendors that I have done business with has a new video on the entire line and the 023's, enjoy
http://www.revzilla.com/bridgestone-tires?utm_source=Revzilla&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20120529_mesh_jackets&utm_content=07_bridgestone_video

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
PR3" replaced OEM at 7,000, Only have 1,ooo miles so far BUT I like them, much quieter than the OEM's and feel much more secure.

Eldon

Bike
Silver NT700V
Quicky review here.

After 12,500 miles my OEM BT020s were badly cupped on the front and down to the wear indicators on the rear. I replaced them with a set of BT023s primarily because the BT023s were readily available from my dealer. Handling was much inproved, quieter, smoother, no issues in the rain.

Fast forward to now. I have approximately 13,500 miles on the BT023s. Front is making some noise, like minor cupping, but the wear is not very visible. The back is flat across the center of the tire. This is typical for me as most roads here in SE TX are fairly straight and my 52 mile round trip commute is 80% freeway. The wear indicators are visible bu nowhere near the surface yet.

So far the tires are perfoming very well for me. I will likely try replacing just the rear this time. Save some $$.

Keep the shiny side up,

Chuck

Bike
2010 Honda NT700VA
I've been riding the Avon Storm 2 ultras for about 5000 miles. VERY pleased with tread wear, ride quality (wet/dry traction, cornering), and yes, even the super appearance. I'll be sticking with the Storm 2s.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
24th of Aug the bike is still working well with the 023's. The stock tires when the first season and should have been tossed over the winter but went until just over the cords on the front. The rear was getting a bit square and came off with the front.

The 023's are showing wear front and rear especially when you ride hot tires into some dust. Easy to see some cupping then but still serviceable enough to pass state inspection. More important to me is they still feel good. Shame that there are so few of our bikes sold better dampers are not on every shelf... I add about 265 lbs to the bike and I believe that my bulk is causing most of the problem with tire wear.

Bottom line is I am very happy with the 023 tire life and performance. May order a new set to put on this winter.

OP
OP
JQL

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
I have just replaced my BT023 Rear tyre which was fitted in March 2011. It had done 16846.4 miles (27,106 kms) most of which was commuting to and from work in and around Paris (France). The left hand side was down to the wear marks but the right hand side still had about 5mm to go.

It looks like I could get about 30,000 miles from the front tyre all being well. These figures are about double those for the BT021s which were OEM.

The tyre was very good and seemed to get much better as the tread wore off. This new BT023 seems a bit skittish and probably will continue to do so for the next 500 miles until I get it fully bedded in.

All in all I'm very pleased with it. The grip isn't as good as a sports tyre but, hey, I'm getting four times the mileage, on my CBR600 I used to go through a rear tyre approximately every 4,000 miles!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Wow, John! That's twice what I got out of my BT-023 rear tires. I spend a lot of time going faster than 75-80mph (120-130kph) on interstate highways here in Colorado. How fast are you running?

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
Wow, John! That's twice what I got out of my BT-023 rear tires. I spend a lot of time going faster than 75-80mph (120-130kph) on interstate highways here in Colorado. How fast are you running?
Yeah I only got about 10,000 from my last 023's. This was however riding cross country with my wife on board fro about 5,000 mi in very hot temps. I went with BT's again but am tempted to go PR 3's after hearing of Rick's 19,000 on his rear tire. So how did you do so much better than Phil and I.

OP
OP
JQL

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
Phil,

Most of the time I'm in and around Paris so speeds are 20-50 mph. I do do some motorway running every day but not very far (about 5 miles each way) at about 70 mph (ish). But, if the traffic is heavy, then we're down to about 40 mph on those.

I keep the tyres at recommended pressures but if it is very wet I'll drop the pressure by 2-5 lbs which gives better grip.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
John, I'm thinking speed must make a big difference in tire life.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
What are you wondering about relative to dual-compound tires?

My Roadsmart 2 seems to be holding up and not squaring off too much.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Bob, if you have to spend as much time as I do going in straight lines, you will square off your tires. I think the dual compound slows that down considerably, though.

Remind me...what dark side did you reject?

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
I am fairly certain that the BT023 and the PR3's are both dual compound tyres.

The "dark side" is what they call it when you fit a car tyre to a motorcycle.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
You're correct about the BT-023s and the PR3s both being dual-compound.

Thanks for reminding me about the "Dark Side." I saw several bikes at the Iron Butt Association International Meeting in Denver in August that had car tires. They look strange to me. I think I'll stick with motorcycle tires.

Top Bottom