Bringing you all up to date

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
chuck,

Does the new FJR have a heavy feeling in the front end at slow speeds in tight corners? or a feeling of suddenness when going into a leaning situation?
Reason for hose questions is that a 08 or 09 that I rode about 50 miles on ca couple of years ago felt that way too me.The power was sweet, but the feeling of that bike left me with nagging doubts in my mind. It had good rubber under it , but the feeling was in a sense like it had a car tire on the rear , or a mc tire that was squared off from mostly straight road riding, or as if it had raked , or extended forks. I am not knocking this machine in any way a the rider it belonged too said he never noticed these features.
I see in the specs that it is recommended for regular gasoline , that is a very nice, and handy feature!

Eldon
Eldon to answer you question. I have not noticed the heavy feeling, How ever because the steering geometry is different the bike feels more planted in dirty truck wash air than my old ST1300. I have been told that when the OEM tires wear out to fit a set of PR4's, the bike will have a more responsive feeling then.
It might feel that way com paired to the NT but I was trying to find a lighter bike than my ST1300 with out giving up performance. With a few simple mods,ie: windshield, risers, and such it will be just as good or slightly better then my old ST1300. Regular gas, built in cruse control. gear indicator, heated grips, traction control, ABS breaks, Ambient air temp gauge, electric shield, two position adjustable seat, and of course the typical mileage/avg mpg computer. Yamaha has listened to there customers, Honda better get with the program here in the US or more of us are going to defect.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V #1001
Yamaha has listened to there customers, Honda better get with the program here in the US or more of us are going to defect.[/QUOTE]

This FJR gets me excited every time I see it. I can't say the same about any new offerings from Mother Honda.

Enjoy the new ride!

Congratulations Chuck I think when my NT's prepaid maintenance contract expires. I'm going to buy a Yamaha FJR1300 or a Yamaha Super 10.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Yamaha has listened to there customers, Honda better get with the program here in the US or more of us are going to defect.
This FJR gets me excited every time I see it. I can't say the same about any new offerings from Mother Honda.

Enjoy the new ride![/QUOTE]

I fully agree! Yammy seems to be the one introducing the exciting bikes the last year or so while Honda seems to have lost their way> Sad to say since I'm a loooong time Honda guy. C'mon Big Red.... git yer act together!

Mike

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
So it has been almost four weeks since I brought home the FeeGeR. Just an update to how we are getting along. GREAT. The FJR is just what I thought it would be. The power of my ST (even more) with the lightness of my NT. The weight of the FJR falls right in between the ST & the NT. Both the ST and the NT are now gone from the garage, but I do get to see my old NT in the rear view mirror of the FJR alot. Guitarman (Gary), my neighbor, who lives around the corner from me, bought the bike and we do a fair amount of riding together. So I do have visitation rights to "Now & Then"
I now have 1600 miles on the FJR and am spending a bundle of money on farkles for her. Her name is "Ruby FeJeR". There is a bit of a learning curve, as Yamaha does things a bit different than Honda, and they write/layout their service manuals a bit different.

Just to let you know, I might not be posting on the forum as much as I did in the past but I am not going to go anywhere, as I have some good friends on this forum. Might even throw up a pic or two from time to time. Besides who is going to give the AirForce (Rick) any grief if I were to leave.

Attachments

Last edited:

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Thanks for the update. Always good to hear from you (and view your pictures).

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Cuck,

I'm glad to see this post, I didn't know if you were back from your trip or not. My eys are just about recovered enough from the last surgery to start doing things again, They are still tender , but for the most part I am seeing better, & hopefully it will continue in the currant direction.
Keep those FJ info posts comeing, I definatly liked your comparison of it to the ST & NT!

Eldon

Bike
Silver NT700V
Great looking FJR. Love the color. FJR was one of the bikes I tried on when shopping. But as a novice rider at the time, NT is bike #2, I felt overwhelmed by the weight and power. Probably wise. I sat on a Goldwing the same color and it fit (oh nooooo).

Hope you will keep in touch here.

Chuck

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Chuck, you and Gary and I need to get together for a ride one of these days (after the Arctic blast predicted for next week!).

And, if you're still in the maintenance consultant/oversight business, I'm getting to the point where I'm thinking about replacing another rear tire. I've got a couple of PR3 rears that have a few thousand miles left in them and I'll use them up before I buy new tires.

Plus, I want to the beautiful Ruby!

Bike
Phil, you best not get too close to that Ruby Red Machine or it will become a magnent and will attatch itself to you, and drag you to the friendly Yamagotcha dealership.:rofl1:

If this should become a treend of Red FJR's everyone with them will have to aquire a blazing red silk scarf to fluter in the wind like as saying farewell to the NT forum s everyone invades either the ST Owners, or the FJR forum!!

I must admit that I could be tempted, Maybe a visit to a different dealership is due for me; like Power Yamaha If they have a currant new FJR demo! Power has been well recomneded to me by a FJR owner with over 150,000 FJR miles on his previous bike !

Eldon

Last edited:
Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
Well, guys, the '13's are sort of a medium grey. The '14's are red. The '15's are kind of a dark graphite grey.

The weight of the FJR falls right in between the ST & the NT.
. . .
There is a bit of a learning curve, as Yamaha does things a bit different than Honda, and they write/layout their service manuals a bit different.

Just to let you know, I might not be posting on the forum as much as I did in the past but I am not going to go anywhere, as I have some good friends on this forum. Might even throw up a pic or two from time to time. Besides who is going to give the AirForce (Rick) any grief if I were to leave.
Chuck, at Spearfish, I had a chance to sit on an NT. I was surprised how heavy it is.

I like the FJR service manual.

And I never owned an NT or ST, yet you all let me hang around here. :) And I do not plan on leaving until you all kick me out. I bought an REI tent because of the recommendations here.

Last edited:
Bike
My canyon cages , front and rear & Heli risor & luggage rack that will accept my top box are all on order as well as the Yamaha touring windshield, 4 in Taller and 1/2 wider. I also talked to Kim at Russell, she wants me to wait until I have my accessories on including foot pegs on Canyon cages so they will get my seating right first time around. Parts all should be in by mid next week except top box mount, it will be first week of Jan for it!., NT is in shop receiving its lst pre paid maint plan service . when it comes out it will get defarkled, then transferable things will go onto FJR and NT will start looking for new home.

I got in a short maybe 50 miles this pm, left at 45 and was down to 38 when I got home before dark set in.

Eldon

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Arrgghh! You guys have planted a seed. I'm going to try to kill it! I don't want to get another bike!!

But..... the FJR sure looks good.

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Well, guys, the '13's are sort of a medium grey. The '14's are red. The '15's are kind of a dark graphite grey.

Chuck, at Spearfish, I had a chance to sit on an NT. I was surprised how heavy it is.

I like the FJR service manual.

And I never owned an NT or ST, yet you all let me hang around here. :) And I do not plan on leaving until you all kick me out. I bought an REI tent because of the recommendations here.
My ST1300 tipped the scales at about 710 to 720 pounds wet. The NT came in a 570+ wet and the FJR falls in between with around 640 + wet. My Wee650 tips the scales at around 485 pounds. The Wee is a dream to ride in the twisties.

Bike
Phil,
If the seed is planted and taking root, you very well might want to check out your local dealer for a 14 while the price is right!!!and you can get a beautiful red one that is the quicker version. I would venture a guess that they will let you test ride one & that would help you make up your mind!! Just be SURE they have the bars in the max set back position and the suspension set to max low on it for you, Well with our difference in weight youb might compress it a little more than I did, of course this is for a ES version.;)

Eldon

Top Bottom