Broken Latch Left Saddlebag

tawilke46

After I installed my voltage monitor today and got my bike all put back together, I noticed the rear of my left saddle bag lid looked like it was not latched all the way. Kinda stuck out further than the front of the lid. Lid moved as though it was not latched in back. So I got the key and dropped the lid. Hmmmm......rear latch on lid was loose. No problem says I, go get screwdriver and tighten screws. WRONG. The plastic boss with the two screw holes was broken and the latch was just hanging on by the threads of one screw! So out come the screws. I will just glue the boss back on, wait 24 hours, put screws and latch back on and hope and pray that it holds. I'm betting it won't.
Only solution is to order a new left saddlebag lid.
Well, I was thinking I could still ride tomorrow if the front latch will hold the lid closed, add a piece of packing tape on the back, no problem can still ride with one latch working. WRONG again.:mad1: AWWWWWW.....fiddlesticks (not what I really said)!!!! Evidently the lid will not close or release the ignition key with only one latch in place. Have to have both stuck in their respective holes to get the lid closed and remove the key.

Does anyone know if this is the case, that both latches have to be inserted in order to close the lid and remove the key?????:shrug2: Curious, cause if not, I have problems other than the rear latch.

Last edited:

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
If you have the pieces of the platform that holds the latch, a permanent fix can be done using J B Weld (An Epoxy Glue) Don't worry about the holes for the screws--you can redrill them. The stuff dries black--no sweat since the inside of the pannier is black. I'm sure there are a few people on this forum who have used this stuff.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
JB Weld is one of the great substances; right up there with WD-40 and duct tape. It'll fix anything. Well, almost anything.

You're right, though, both latch tabs have to be in place to get the key out.

Which leads me to say this: Last night I was thinking that one of the minor farkles that has returned a huge benefit for me are the key knobs for the panniers and fairing pocket. Chuck (chucksklrst on the forum) told me about them and gave me a couple of black oil container lids to use as the knob. I got two extra keys cut and then sawed them off so that there was enough to glue into the lids. So now I've got a permanent key in the pannier lock and in the fairing pocket. I use the fairing pocket knobbed key to open the gas tank. It sure is easier than fiddling the ignition key out of and back into the ignition every time I want to open something up.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
It takes about that long in reasonable temps (65F or so and up) but might be strong enough to use in 5-6 hours.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Phil, That sounds like a great idea. Obviously when you leave the bike unattended for a while, you can pull the "Key" I would bet that J B Weld would work well in that application. The ignition key is more of a PITA now that I have the remote for the CooCase hanging off it. That remote is a trip.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Alex, my remote is gone. On this CooCase it doesn't work. I don't know if it's the remote (I changed the battery, so I know the battery is good) or something in the trunk. But I don't like having the trunk lock itself anyway, so I'm happy about it. I have the remote somewhere, but when I lock the trunk, I just use the key.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
On a trip last Summer, my friend (!) was looking the wrong way and ran into my bike as I stopped to wait for traffic to pass before making a right turn. His Panzer's (BMW 1200GS) right cylinder head smashed the NT's left saddlebag lid and caused it to flop open. I put the soft bag back inside but it wouldn't latch because too many pieces were broken/bent so ended up securing it with black duct tape (Gorilla brand). It stayed that way for 7-days and wasn't a problem other than being inconvenient and a minor eye sore. He bought me a new lid.

loonytuna

I have grown to like the integrated bags, but have also noticed they seem a little flimsy and can understand how they could break.

So it would be interesting to hear about others who have had trouble and what we can do to prevent it.

I'd be pissed if it happened on a ride with no spare key!

I guess its time (for us all) to keep a spare onboard!

loonytuna

This really got me thinking.

I had a BMW rt, the bags had straps inside to hold the liners in place, great idea, especially if a ld flopped open!

Has anyone modified theirs? Pictures please.

I found this xture online, seems like a good idea. Thoughts?

Attachments

loonytuna

Thanks Falcon.

Sorry to all for the typos, im on a tablet.

Nicole

I had a BMW rt, the bags had straps inside to hold the liners in place, great idea, especially if a ld flopped open!

I was thinking of farkling a net bungee bag that is normally used to strap things to the tail of the bike into a case. the case already has 3 attachment points I could use by simply backing current screws out adding a hook or other type of attachment point for the bungee net.

loonytuna

I'd still like to hear and see the solutions from the members here, from what I've seen so far, there are some folks with a lot of experience with this bike and with lots of ingenuity!

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I use the Bestum Saddlebag liners and I also doubt they would fall out...mine fit pretty well. But, if I wanted to increase the odds of them not coming out, on their own, I would get a piece of cargo strap and run it through the "pass through" and then tie it, or use velcro loops if you want to be fancy, to each bags carrying handle. That way each bag holds the other in place and even if both lids deployed as wings, or dive planes, :rolleyes1: your bags couldn't come out... Cheap, easy, and no mounting straps or nets in to the tupperware...

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I use the Bestum Saddlebag liners and I also doubt they would fall out...mine fit pretty well. But, if I wanted to increase the odds of them not coming out, on their own, I would get a piece of cargo strap and run it through the "pass through" and then tie it, or use velcro loops if you want to be fancy, to each bags carrying handle. That way each bag holds the other in place and even if both lids deployed as wings, or dive planes, :rolleyes1: your bags couldn't come out... Cheap, easy, and no mounting straps or nets in to the tupperware...
Very good idea.

loonytuna

I love this idea! Simple!!

I have the bestem bags and will try this for sure! Thanks!

OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

I will keep all the above in mind. And will carry a spare key, and rope, bungee cords and tape, just in case.

I bonded the broken boss with Locktite Stick and Seal Ultra, universal adhesive. Supposedly waterproof, shockproof, and flexible.
Put the screws back in and closed the lid, removed the key. So far so good. Will see how long it lasts. Keeping fingers crossed.

If it breaks again I will use an epoxy glue, and order a new lid under warranty.

Last edited:

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Alex, my remote is gone. On this CooCase it doesn't work. I don't know if it's the remote (I changed the battery, so I know the battery is good) or something in the trunk. But I don't like having the trunk lock itself anyway, so I'm happy about it. I have the remote somewhere, but when I lock the trunk, I just use the key.
Phil, My remote also houses a key--almost like a jack knife. At this point I can use both. When the remote bites the dust, there will still be the key. I do like the oil cap-key idea. Now a top from Mobil-1 would have given you a faster silver key. Valvoline makes a metallic red top. I'll settle for black.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red

Re. your picture: I am not sure where the top part of his bungee setup is attached. The bottom is OK.
It looks like a great idea.

Top Bottom