Broken Latch Left Saddlebag

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
In a pinch while on the road you could tape the lid closed and then remove the seat and disconnect the cable that runs from the pannier key lock to the bag latch mechanism. this allows the key to turn back and you can then remove the key to put it back in the ignition.
I run my right pannier disconnected normally. Just don't let a passenger pull the pannier latch while running down the road or it will open and dump contents.

Brad

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Alex, I had that key on my first remote (and the 2nd one, for that matter). But I can tell you from experience that you won't use the key on the remote very often before the tiny little screw it pivots on loosens up from the remote.

Actually, I like not having a working remote. I found it a PITA to fumble around for the remote when I just wanted into the trunk. I rarely lock it, but if I need to, the key on the key ring is easier to mess around with than the remote was.

OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

Last edited:

Madmax

Just tape is shut and go for a ride using your spare key. Fix it next week......

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I looked at your pix and that can definitely be fixed with J B Weld. I would pull out the screws and apply JB Weld where the plastic is cracked. I would fill both screw holes with JB and would also build up the area with the JB. That whole area could be made much stronger than the original. After 24 hours, the holes can be re-drilled and the area can be sanded for a more professional look.

OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

I went out into the garage this morning and did the epoxy fix. I completely filled the void at the top end of the latch connection. Will let it cure for 24 hours, put it back together and see if the holes line up properly. Will be anxious to see if there is any binding between the latch on the side cover and the catch inside the bag. Hoping it will work smoothly. This is just a temporary fix anyway. Pics below:

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h417/tawilke46/IMG_0418.jpg

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h417/tawilke46/IMG_0417.jpg

As you can see the plastic was cracked all over the place, like it was real brittle. Cracks had migrated into the flange area and were propagating out to the edges.
I had 4 little pieces to try to line up before the epoxy set too hard to move them. Hard to do when the pieces are sticking to your fingers!

Will be taking bike to the dealer next week to file a warranty claim and get a new lid ordered. Maybe I will epoxy fill all four of the voids on both lids to reinforce the latch area.

EDIT 4:51pm: I installed the metal latch after chasing the screw holes with a drill. Attached the latch and so far everything is working just as it should.:hat3: HOORAY!!
The epoxy worked better than I imagined it would. Should have used epoxy on the first fix.
So now I can concentrate on riding and eventually getting a new lid!

Last edited:
OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

UPDATE:
I talked with Friendly Honda this morning and Honda has approved replacing the left saddle bag lid. So a new lid is now on order.:hat3: Will have them replace the lid once it comes in. Then again I may do it myself, can't be too hard to do.

OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

After reading all of this I'm just wondering what I can do for preventive maintenance? My warranty is about up so for sure it will break sometime after that:)
I am going to go to my friendly local hardware store and see what I can use for a shouldered washer setup that will take the load off the fender.
If I can come up with a solution I will let you know......Gotta go do some measurements first and take the Denali mounting bolt and spacer with me when I go.
AND DO NOT use Locktite!!!!!!!!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Shims? All I've got near the hinges of my pannier lids is the one-piece shim that's backed by a thin rubber material that goes over both mounting bolts on each hinge. As far as I can tell, all four of those on my bike are identical.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Shims? All I've got near the hinges of my pannier lids is the one-piece shim that's backed by a thin rubber material that goes over both mounting bolts on each hinge. As far as I can tell, all four of those on my bike are identical.
I have thin shims and / or thick shims and the rubber gasket on all four latch mounting points... They will stick inside so you may have got lucky and not disturbed them when you were installing your lids...or they were out of shims when your NT went down the line!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Actually, mine were stuck the first time I changed the lids, but haven't done that since.

Top Bottom