Buying smaller & lighter?

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I'm seriously thinking of selling my 2013 NC700XD (DCT model) this fall/winter and replacing it with a Royal Enfield Scram 411 which is the "streeterized" version of their popular Himalayan ADV bike. It's powered by an air-cooled 411 cc single that produces 24 horsepower which seems low but it only has to push a 408 lb bike so it's my guess is that it's plenty for an intown bike that occasionally goes on The Slab. It's nearly 100 pounds lighter than the NC and the MSRP will be below $6k but I will miss not having DCT.

I'll keep my faithful NT as my long distance and winter bike. :)

Last edited:
Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Smaller can be good. I had a KLX250 dual sport for a while. The size is fine for in town and minor highway use.
I did miss the storage space of the panniers. My in town stuff many times includes picking up small stuff and the bags are very handy for that.

Arknt

I had to go one step further selling my beautiful 2011 black NT and buying a Honda cb500 X. I have to admit to missing the the NT on the highways but seeing as I have stopped doing any longer trips anymore the little cb X has proved far and above what I expected from it. I am just happy to be able to ride

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
I am sorry to hear that you will be possibly dumping the NC-DCT. I still have mine, and I still quite enjoy it.

FYI, I was out in the Antelope Valley this past Friday and drove through High Vista on Avenue J to 240th St. E.

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
Had a CB500X for a few years. Great all round bike. Comfortable, easy highway touring, with excellent fuel economy. BUT, it was too heavy for my off road usage. Tough to pick up.

Currently, I have downsized another step to a CRF300L Rally. Superb bike for my needs with some off road, and highway. It averages 76 mpg, and will cruise all day at 60-65 mph even loaded down. With a reported 31 hp, and bare weight of 337 pounds it should easily outperform the Royal Enfield.

I’ve heard the CRF300L’s are still tough to get, maybe the RE beats on that count. Good luck!

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Loved riding Yoda's CB500x.....

There is an RE dealer right next to the campground in Spearfish, DF....we would love to see you there....
1660165396159.png

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I'm seriously thinking of selling my 2013 NC700XD (DCT model) this fall/winter and replacing it with a Royal Enfield Scram 411 which is the "streeterized" version of their popular Himalayan ADV bike. It's powered by an air-cooled 411 cc single that produces 24 horsepower which seems low but it only has to push a 408 lb bike so it's my guess is that it's plenty for an intown bike that occasionally goes on The Slab. It's nearly 100 pounds lighter than the NC and the MSRP will be below $6k but I will miss not having DCT.

I would be interested in knowing what peoples thoughts are as far as their experiences with the Himalayans on the interstates. There must be a forum. I have a friend with two RE Bullets...an old one and one with fuel injection. He rides them around north Idaho off the main drags. The bullet is fine at 45 but it is not happy going faster IMHO.
a re.jpg

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The Himalayan has a top speed in the mid-70s so obviously long stretches on the slab could have the engine revving near redline. That's more of a factor in the west where you have long, long stretches of slab between points but not so much in OH where we have plenty of secondary roads and besides, I'm not buying it for long distance, interstate travel because I'll still have my NT for such things!

Phil - thanks for the tip on the RE Owner's group. I've signed-up and will carefully watch for posts about reliability and unnecessary repairs. :)

Last edited:
If you’re keeping the NT for longer distance higher speed runs, the RE a should be a great choice for the “other rides”. While I have not ridden them myself, the newer modern RE models are owned by friends and acquaintances and they really like them.

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Getting something like a Royal Enfield requires a slightly different mindset and the ability to accept what is there. :)

George S. - my "other rides" outnumber rides on my NT by at least 5-to-1, maybe higher. They are shorter rides but just as much fun!

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Here is smaller and a lot of fun lighter bike. Will do the Freeways if so desired but better on two lane. Will do the dirt roads and does the city very nicely. Will even do my Bakery Run on occasion. Kawasaki Versys X300. weight 403 pounds.

Attachments

Here is smaller and a lot of fun lighter bike. Will do the Freeways if so desired but better on two lane. Will do the dirt roads and does the city very nicely. Will even do my Bakery Run on occasion. Kawasaki Versys X300. weight 403 pounds.
Looks lIke an excellent choice for size/weight/capability And fun!
I’ve been downsizing a little over the past few years. I came from the large BMW tourers and also a Harley police bike (at work 20 years ago). Main ride lately has been a Triumph Street Scrambler. I’m keeping the Triumph and adding the NT. I hope I don’t regret the weight of the NT.

Last edited:

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT

I was looking for the same kind of lighter, newer and still the same fit as my lowered NT with Helibars. The 2015 BMW F800GT fit with the low seat that was customized by Rich's near Seattle. The BMW is 100 lbs lighter Curb weight and 90 hp, 6 speed, belt drive. Later I was amazed that the 2020 Triumph Tiger 900 GT Low fit me too (I added Helibar handle bar adapter and had Rich redo the seat to fit me). The Triumph has the same -100 lb curb weight as the BMW, but lower dry weight (5.28 vs 4 gal fuel). The Triumph has cruise and far better luggage with 94 HP and good torque. NT has a little better overall weather protection but I really noticed the extra 100#.

https://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/motorcycles/adventure/tiger-900-gt/gt-low

Just home from dealer 7/2020.
1660257006688.jpeg

After Accessories before seat mod.
1660255649806.png

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Tosh, here is smaller, lighter, and cheaper. - https://www.advrider.com/roam-air-electric-motorcycle-unveiled/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter-08-11-2022

But I have to agree with Frosty. I bought my Tiger 800 because it is about 100# lighter than the NT, 40% more hp, 6 speeds, heated grips, and cruise control. The weight (or lack thereof) is quite noticeable. (Book says 417#, but that is without the bags)

2 years ago at Spearfish Phil had parked his NT on a grass slope next to the road and was later blocked in by another rider. He asked me to move his NT to the road because he didn't want to risk dropping it. I thought "No Problem". Spearfish riders are familiar with the grass slope from the road up to the tent area and are accustomed to dealing with it. But when I straddled the NT it's mass surprised me when I went to move it. AND his is lowered.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Back when I got into motorcycling I bought a Honda 1968 CB160. After about a year I moved up to a big bike. A CB77 305 Super Hawk. For a kid that only weighed 120 lbs that bike seemed massive. A couple of years ago after I retired I decided to downsize and bought a Yamaha XMAX 300 which now seems small. Funny how that works.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Yup, a Super Hawk was a big bike back in the day, but we grew into 'em.

Mike

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
During the era of the original 305 Superhawk, guys used them for some coast-to-coast rides and many shorter ones. They were happy that a bike could run that far without mechanical problems.

I have two pals who rode coast-to-coast a few years ago on restored 60s era Superhawks, taking all secondary roads. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom