Buying smaller & lighter?

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
My longest ride on my Super Hawk was from StL to Indianapolis. This was before the advent of the Interstate so we rode on US40. We maintained about 60mph which was no strain on the bike and it performed like a champ. I would have ridden it coast to coast had the need arose. My first really long trip was on my CB750 on US66 to California. This was the first long ride where I had the benefit of wind protection. I installed a Wixom Bros. batwing fairing and some saddlebags. I had no timetable and had a delightful ride. That is what cultivated my love for long motorcycle trips.

Mike

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
If I remember correctly it was a 305 Super Hawk that Robert Pirsig and his son rode as described in the book Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
If I remember correctly it was a 305 Super Hawk that Robert Pirsig and his son rode as described in the book Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance.
Yup! It was indeed a Super Hawk. I've read that book several times and each time I found it somewhat depressing.....

Mike

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I agree. All I got out of that book is that some repairs have to be made repeatedly and that's life. It might say a lot about his mechanical skills & saavy. :-(

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Yup! It was indeed a Super Hawk. I've read that book several times and each time I found it somewhat depressing.....

Mike
I agree... And his kid was stabbed to death. I read it 3 times. There is alot of meat and sense in the book.. At times, he rips the guts out of western thought , which was needed. Chris who took a 305 from Ill to Colorado and back.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
What I found most depressing was reading that his son Chris was murdered in San Francisco when he was just 22.
The book means more to us who have experienced mental problems. As a guy who majored in vocational education, I like his comments on tech writers, but my fav quote is, "Quality in thought and deed is Just what you like." I wouldnt pay a nickel for any Picasso to keep it.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
My weestrom 650 feels lighter than it is but evan for me, its too tall. But its very stable at slow speeds. The launch assist works flawlessly. I also like the push to start button. I assume emissions standards will kill it.

My 520 lb. vfr is my smallest lightest machine. The NT is just a few pounds lighter than the Bking but the NT feels like a bicycle in comparison. The light clutch, throttle and steering make the NT easy and comfortable for me to ride. I’m 6 foot tall and thankfully have no issues riding my machines. There was a time I thought I wanted a Gold Wing, tested out a 2019 Wing which was very nice but the sheer size of the beast could not be ignored. Reverse made it easy to park and move around the garage but I don’t tour enough to enjoy one to its fullest.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Yes, but she has the benefit of youth! Us old farts definitely do not!
I think as to balance...yes....but watching her tour, she is just like me on the FJR...watches where she parks and how and is very vary careful.

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Back to the Scram 411 - I've discovered that the Himalayan/Scram's charging system will not support an electric vest so the battery will eventually die. It is essentially a "dirt bike" so that's understandable and giving it more serious thought, I would probably be riding my NT on cold days anyway. :)

Camelot - the newest GLs (Gold Wings) are externally smaller but have essentially the same bones under all that more svelte plastic.

Last edited:

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Dealer is finally getting some Kawasakis in. And marking them up $300. I told the service mangler that I didnt like the tube tires with the annular grooves and he said just wait to you see what it costs you to have US replace them. Tubes are a pain. Got a new front tire for the VFR. Its the backup bike for the reno air races. crappy pic of nice looking bike.
a bike.jpg
Price tag on the other one he had in stock
a bike 2.jpg

Happiness is a new rubber.
a bike 3.jpg

What I saw off my back porch during happy hour last night
a bike 4.jpg

Top Bottom