Charging problem ???

Bike
2010 NT700 & 2014 Ural
Pulled battery Fall, 2014 on 2010 NT which I purchased last spring.
Had it in basement on trickle charger.
Installed in April and bike started and ran fine.
Couple weeks later, it would not start.
Battery completely drained, i.e., no lights, instruments.
Thought it might be a 4-5 year old battery so dropped $120 on new battery.
Started and ran fine a few times.
Two weeks ago, it was drained, no lights, no instruments, etc.
Checked all the fuses.
All OK.
Called for a tow to take it to dealer.
While waiting, remembered I had put original battery on a charger.
Installed it...and bike started right up.
The tow truck was on its way so I had it take NT to dealer.
While waiting for them to check it, thought I'd ask what those more mechanically inclined than I might think the problem is.

Thanks.

Tim Bambrick
Monkton, Md.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Do you have any electrical farkles / upgrades added to the bike? It doesn't take long for a small device, hardwired to the battery, to run down a battery....

OP
OP
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2014 Ural
I have a Cigarette plug and a USB plug hardwired to the battery.
Nothing was plugged in to either.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Tim, doesn't sound like that would do it. I had a regulator/rectifier go bad this fall and the battery would discharge very quickly after I took it off the battery tender. Good luck.

All I really know about automobile/motorcycle electrical systems I learned when we had a '73 MB-B with Lucas ("The Prince of Darkness") electrics. If you somehow break a wire or damage the insulation on one, all the smoke gets out of the system and nothing works. Have you checked for broken wiring or insulation? :)

OP
OP
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2014 Ural
Haven't checked for broken wiring / insulation as lights / instrument panel came on when I put a charged battery in right before it was towed.
I have the R/R and stator down as candidates.
It's odd that something like a R/R would go bad in this short period of time.
Bike only had 400 miles on it last spring and I only put 8,600 m. on it during the summer.

Tim

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
It's probable the USB charger would draw a a small amount of current, even when nothing is plugged in. It's not a passive device, like a cig. lighter plug. You might check into how much. This is, of course, in addition to the small amount the bike itself draws for clock, trip odometers, etc.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
It could be charging problem, or a discharging problem.

Discharging problems. I'd disconnect the USB & cigarette lighter (and any other extra circuits) that are connected directly to the battery. Run it like that for a couple of weeks and see if your battery is draining. Not only are the extra circuits a discharge problem possibility, stacking multiple connectors on a battery terminal can only increase the possibility of creating a charging problem.

For a USB power supply to continually make 5V from 12 vdc their will be some losses, and those losses come from the battery. Probably small and the battery should last >2 weeks....but IDK what USB power supply you have and what its drain on the battery is.

The cigarette lighter is essentially just a extended 12V line and no drain would be expected from it unless something is plugged in it. But I'd still disconnect it until your problem is resolved.

Charging problems. Usually poor battery connections in such a new system, and a new battery. If you don't have a voltmeter, you are at the mercy of someone with a voltmeter. If you have a voltmeter, check the volts with engine off and with the engine running. Read the voltage on the Battery Terminals, not a connector lug on the battery or cigarette lighter or other place, on the Battery Terminals. That is where you need voltage to charge the battery, so check it there. It should go from ~12.3-12.6 to ~14 once started. If you get ~14vdc, the charging system is most likely fine, back to looking at discharging problems or bad battery.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2014 Ural
That's a good thought, but the bike is at the shop and I was told today it would be 2 weeks before they could look at it.
If I go and pick it up, I'll loose my spot in line.
Unfortunately, the big dealer put all the small boys out of business.

I'll drop a followup note re what the dealer says the problem is and the fix.

Tim

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Did the wires to USB & cig lighter run next to something hot where they might melt the insulation.
Just one more thing for you to think about while waiting on the dealer.

Brad

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
and I was told today it would be 2 weeks before they could look at it.
That is just plain unacceptable!

I would take my bike away and either learn to do it myself or, travel a much further distance to someone who gives a damn.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
I agree, two weeks is totally unacceptable and I almost guarantee they will also charge you a small fortune to assess the problem and another small fortune for any parts you may need.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
An E-mail to the Honda factory representative would probably get some action. You are apparently a new Honda customer and they would sure like to see you get another Honda in the future

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
In regards to "trickle chargers," they are intended to keep a well-charged battery UP. They are not designed to revive a dead battery.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Unfortunately, the big dealer put all the small boys out of business.
The same thing happened here. The BIG dealer ran the BEST dealer out of business by taking all the franchises away from him. The service and sales departments at the big dealer are both terrible. I stopped going there. I registered a complaint to the corporate headquarters, but of course nothing happened. There is a good dealer 150 miles south of here, but they still don't know what an NT is and it is a nice ride down there.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I have been lucky in that my large multi brand dealer, Sloans Motorcycle in Murfreesboro TN, not only does good work but knows what an NT is. When I was last in I asked them about their experience working on NT's and he said one of their service techs actually owns one so they give him the NT's to work on when they come in.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
+1 on what John says, there is mst likely a small independent shop in your area that may be a excellent source. My local Non factory HD specialty shopalso works on all metric twins plus most anyting, They like every one else is busy at this time of year, but should be able to check charging system, and Battery condition in a matter of a 1/2 hour.

Or just invest in a inexpensive volt meter and go to each terminal of battery and see if you are getting voltage to the battery when it is running. you should get a little information with the unit you buy on how to use it properly..

Eldon

That is just plain unacceptable!

I would take my bike away and either learn to do it myself or, travel a much further distance to someone who gives a damn.

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
Agreed, John and Eldon.

With forums like this, someone has seen the same or a similar problem.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2014 Ural
To address the posts re why the dealer didn't address my bike sooner, when it was dropped off, I was number 22 in the line of bikes without appointments.
It is what it is and I don't piss off the only dealer in the area by bugging them.

More importantly...the charging system was fine.
After putting yet another new battery in, they noticed a relatively substantial draw with the key off.
I had two cigarette lighter plugs, one with an USB port connected to the battery so they were always hot.
They disconnected them and the draw stopped.
Somebody mentioned this as a possibility several weeks ago.

I'm having them hook it up so they don't draw power unless the key is switched on.

An expensive mystery solved...but solved in time for my 2 1/2 week trip out west.

Tim Bambrick

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Glad they got it fixed! Have a great trip. Wish you were with us in Spearfish!

Top Bottom