Crank Position Sensor

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I just rebuilt the front forks on Missy, and it was easy. Just takes time and patience, not much technical skill. The seals cost $16 each. That saved me a lot of money.
Harry, did you replace your bushings as well?

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
harryhendo - that's known as "high Jacking the topic." The original post was about the crank position sensor. It really helps to stay on topic otherwise it turns to useless garage. :)

ps. It's really not difficult to start your own post with the topic of "Fork Seals."

OP
OP
Hello all, wanted to add a followup on the project, since part of what I was hoping to cure was a regular seepage of oil from the grommets. After a few weeks of riding, including some higher rpm runs around 5000 or just over, there is no film of oil at all, and i would have seen it by now. Wanted to share in case someone else runs across that issue.

I was out for a ride today stopped for some lunch and came out and the bike wouldn’t start code 19. I did get it started and made it home. I just ordered the parts and the hondabond do you know the toque spec for the cover and the sensor? The gap I’ll measure before I take off the sensor. Unless someone has the spec. Thanks for this fourm

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
There is no air gap adjustment - you just screw it in place. The cover screws are 6 mm thread so they require the normal 7 ft-lbs of torque. :)

Last edited:
There is no air gap adjustment - you just screw it in place. The cover screws are 6 mm thread so they require the normal 7 ft-lbs of torque. :)
Thanks for the quick reply..do I have to remove the whole exhaust system? I hope to work on it this weekend..

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The muffler has to be removed and both headpipes loosened. Someone on this site mentioned being able to remove the cover without loosening the headpipes but I couldn't manage that on my bike. The front headpipe nuts are a cinch to loosen but the rears are very tedious because of the lack of space to swing a wrench.

Clutch cover removed.JPG

The crank position sensor is the little black box at 2 o'clock in the photo, facing the reluctor (the toothed wheel).

Last edited:
The muffler has to be removed and both headpipes loosened. Someone on this site mentioned being able to remove the cover without loosening the headpipes but I couldn't manage that on my bike. The front headpipe nuts are a cinch to loosen but the rears are very tedious because of the lack of space to swing a wrench.

Clutch cover removed.JPG

The crank position sensor is the little black top at 2 o'clock in the photo, facing the reluctor (the toothed wheel).
Thanks again for all of your help..I hope I can tackle it this weekend

Bike
2010 NT700V
HI all, I need to replace mine, I got the 19 code, hot /no start condition here in South Florida. I have been searching the manual and the site, there are a lot of posts but one thing I am unsure of is the parts list needed. Is it only the sensor? No gasket or other small bits? If no gasket, I assume some gasket goo is needed based on one of the pics I came across here. I did find how to test it in the manual, but nothing on remove and replacing it. Thanks for any help.
This is the part number I'll order, just didn't want to do that if I needed some others.
PULSE GENERATOR
30300-MEW-921
Go to the search bar and type in clutch cover removal there is a link that walks you through the process of CPS replacement and it is very well written I replaced mine about a month ago and the link helped ALOT as I have no service manual good luck jt

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
A gasket isn't offered by Honda. They recommend using Honda Bond sealer. Permatex Gray motorsports is the equivalent.

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
"...A gasket isn't offered by Honda...MikeSim.."

If the case & cover are nicely machined, only a sealer is necessary. It's something the British industry of the 50s-70s, never understood!

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
"...A gasket isn't offered by Honda...MikeSim.."

If the case & cover are nicely machined, only a sealer is necessary. It's something the British industry of the 50s-70s, never understood!
Yup! I remember working on the Brit bikes. We used red hematite and that was only temporary. Sooner or later (more likely sooner) what ever you sealed would start leaking again... and the Brits accepted that as normal!

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Pat Owens was an instructor at a tech school in LA who used a surface plate and various grades of emery paper to lap the case halves and covers to perfection on his 650 Triumph. He did extensive traveling on that bike, with his wife on back, and it had well over 100k drip-free miles.

Pat Owens Remembered | Rider Magazine

Top Bottom