Cruise controls

Bike
2013 Harley Police bike
Anyone have any up to date info on real cruise contols. (Not throttle locks)
Most of the info/posts here seem be be 2 or 3 years old.
My last 7 motorcycles have has factory, real cruise control and I am spoiled. Really want one on the 2010 NT700V I just purchased.
Thanks in advance.:smile:

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
MC Cruise is still the only one made for motorcycles (that I know of).

Otherwise you have to adapt something like the Rostra. Not a huge problem, just takes some fiddling and making special parts, like throttle linkage.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Electrclyde, the MC Cruise is a plug-and-play installation specifically designed for the NT700. A couple of members from OZ have it installed and it apparently works seamlessly. Back when I was getting ready to install a cruise control it was selling for over $1,000 USD. The price has come down to $768 (and shipping may be added to that). Here's the link: http://www.mccruise.com/collections/honda/products/9

The Rofstra, like I have, can be purchased from my buddy Gary Murphy at http://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=369

Gary sells the Rofstra for $260, shipping included. There is a good article about the installation of the Rofstra on Murph's site, written by a guy who installed it on his K1200.

My thread on the installation of the Rofstra on the NT [http://www.nt-owners.org/forums/showthread.php?4777-Rostra-Cruise-Control-from-Murphskits-com] is still a good source of info (at least, I think it is). I'm sorry I didn't document it with pictures, but I think my textual description of how we did it is almost as useful.

The operation of the cruise control has actually improved since we installed in 2012. It surges less, plus I've learned how to eliminate the surge. It also lets me accelerate above the set speed and then resumes on its own nearly all the time. I still don't have the clutch disconnect switch hooked up, so if I want to shift, I just tap the brake lever, shift and then push the "Resume" button.

While riding my BBG last weekend, if I was climbing a fairly steep grade and bucking a headwind, the cruise would kick out. That happens when the throttle is twisted to maybe 80-90% of full on. I would simply shift down into 4th, and then either use "Resume" or just reset it. I learned that it will hold speeds of 80-85mph into a wind and up a grade just fine if you don't mind the engine winding up into the upper 6K rpm range. I don't mind that.

In looking at the MC Cruise brochure just now, I noticed that it does it's speed pickup from magnets in the front brake rotor mounts. I think I like having the Roftstra's electronic pickup better. Plus, the MC Cruise uses a vacuum actuator. I don't know if the NT will pull enough vacuum to operate the cruise control at higher speeds or not. The electronic actuator on the Rofstra seems to work at any speed -- although I've never tried to use it at much above 90mph. :)

If you do go with the Rofstra, and are using that thread as part of your installation process, be sure to read all the way into the thread because there are some important posts about how to wire it.

It's a toss-up for me as to which of my farkles is in the #1 position on my hit parade. It's either the Russell DayLong saddle or the Rofstra cruise control. I don't think I'd have been successful on my BBG if I hadn't had both.

OP
OP
Electraclyde
Bike
2013 Harley Police bike
Phil, thanks for the info and the links. Looks like a doable system, although I may wait until our short riding season is over before I do this. Don't want to disable the bike for 2 or 3 days during the season.
I also received a link to an install of the audiovox system on a Moto Guzzi Norge. Good friend of mine in Fla. installed one on his Norge several years ago. I have ridden his bike many times and that cruise worked as well an any cars I have owned.
Thanks again for the info.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
As far as I could tell when doing research is that the Rofstra and Audiovox are basically the same system. It is the way I will go when I adapt one to the Goose.

NOTE: I did find out that you can adapt one of these to a dual throttle/dual carb bike. It takes an adaptor that you can buy from MC Cruise, or, as in my case, make yourself (since I am a cheap b***** :) ). So, in the next year or two I will also have a nice cruise control on my bike.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I think the only difference in the Audiovox and the Rofstra system is that the Audiovox is vacuum-actuated and the Rofstra is electrically operated.

I've heard that they are the same unit, but don't know. I do know that having a cruise control transformed my long distance riding.

Good luck!

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I installed an MC Cruise on my NT around 2012 and have never regretted that decision.

On my previous bike (PC800) I had a self-installed AudioVox and it too worked great but I didn't want to go through all the fabrication hassles and finding space for stuff. The MC Cruise has been truly Plug & Play plus prompt tech help is available from Australia if you run into a problem.

bicyclist

I've used the Rostra cruise control for several years and am pleased with it. It was a bit of a pain to fabricate the bell crank for the throttle bodies. If you're not a crafty sort, the more expensive MC Cruise would be easier to install. And it's Rostra, not Rofstra.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Yes, mine was quickly up and running with one minor glitch but that didn't effect the cruise working normally.

Initially the safety interlock function between the sidestand switch and the ignition didn't work properly - it wouldn't cut the engine if I lowered it while in 1st gear. Frank told me via E-mail how to reset the cruise computer - a 5 minute job - and everything functioned again.

The MC Cruise relies on vacuum to hold a setting and my guess is that 680 cc is a bit on the low side to have adequate vacuum but the only time you'll notice is when climbing a long and steep hill. Maybe 1-3 mph? This loss of speed is minor and much, much better than the AudioVox on my PC800, which also used a vacuum system.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Does the MC Cruise work at high speeds when the engine's not producing as much vacuum? That question was part of the reason I chose the Rostra (There! I finally got it right!). I felt like the 680cc engine might not produce as much vacuum.

I've used the Rostra at 90mph and it's worked fine even at that speed.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I've never used the MC Cruise at 90 mph so I can't say for sure but I'd guess it would work OK. I have used it at lot at 75-80 mph and it didn't have any problems.

In OH, 90 mph is a GO-TO-JAIL speed! :)

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I've never used the MC Cruise at 90 mph so I can't say for sure but I'd guess it would work OK. I have used it at lot at 75-80 mph and it didn't have any problems.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Since we are on subject of cruise control systems, I have one still in the box for the old Connie 1000. It is the Austrailian version If my memory serves me correctly It was designe ogt the four carbed 1000 cc engine , and might work or be adaptable on other systems. should anyone have a interest send me a PM. I am 98% certauub that I will never have a use for it myself .

Eldon

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5

90 here will get you a ticket. 84 will not :) most of the time

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
80 + 2 or 3 worked fine in NM, AZ, and on I-8 in southern California. When I got into west Texas, I tried 85 and finally gave up and ran with the traffic at 90.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
the differences in the various states' speed limits is interesting. Last December, I was riding on a two-lane road through Louisiana at the legal 55 mph. I crossed the Sabine River into Texas, and the same road - same conditions - changed to 75 mph.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Doug
75 on a two lane road seems pretty dangerous to me. I would hate to go around a curve at 75 to have a farm tractor pulling a load in front of me. Maybe the two lane road you are describing has limited access.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Doug
75 on a two lane road seems pretty dangerous to me. I would hate to go around a curve at 75 to have a farm tractor pulling a load in front of me. Maybe the two lane road you are describing has limited access.
Warren - I know what you mean, but the vast majority of roads in Texas are straight and there are few trees out here - in other words, you can see "around the curve." If you are riding in the Hill Country of Central Texas, where there are a lot of curves and there is some forestation, the speed limits are lower.

I was actually thinking about this the other night as I was riding through Florida at night. The pine trees grew high on both sides of the road, and for us westerners, that has the feeling of riding through a tunnel. Once you get out into the more arid west, there are few (if any trees) and it is not uncommon to be able to see 50 to 75 miles in all directions as you crest a hill. Of course, here in south Texas, there are no hills, but you can still see very long distances.

This is a good example - the photo was taken in The Big Empty (otherwise known as West Texas). My guess is that the truck was doing 80 - and doing so safely.

Good point, though - and a simple reason for the variations in speed limits.

Top Bottom