Cruise controls

OP
OP
Electraclyde
Bike
2013 Harley Police bike
Finally broke down and ordered one of the Rostra universal kits. Finished the installation several days ago. Have been experimenting with different dip switch settings. Cruise has some slight surging when set a lower speeds, (30 to 45mph). Operates perfect from 50 to 70mph.
At 75mph it sets OK but kicks out after about 5 or 6 miles. It will resume for another 5 or 6 miles. Will not set above 75mph. Would like to know what others have set the dip switches at. Would like to find the right combo so it will set at 80mph and hold that speed.
It is great to have a "true" cruise control.

Bike
Bloom Red 2010 NT700v
Electraclyde,
Currently I have the dip switches on my Rostra positioned:

1 - off, 2 - on, 3 - on, 4 - on, 5 - on, 6 - on, 7 - on, 8 - on, 9 - off, 10 - on, 11 - off, and 12 - off

I still need to experiment with switches 1 and 2 some more. I started with gain set on "High" and had nasty surging. I moved setting to "Mid" and dramatically improved the surging. The set/coast button doesn't work on my current settings, but I think that is a different matter. Pressing resume/accel pulls the throttle open and then kicks out and does not engage as speed drops back down to the set point. If I then accelerate back up past the set point and then reduce speed down to set point speed, the Rostra will then maintain set speed. I can set at and maintain 80 mph without the dropout you are having. I have not had an opportunity to get the tupperware back off to try some more switch combinations. Once past the "fiddly" set issues, this cruise maintains the set point very accurately. Let me know how yours turns out.

Update 2/12/17
Thanks Electraclyde for your persistence in finding the perfect programming switch combination (1-off, 2-off, 3-on, 4-on, 5-on, 6-on, 7-off, 8-off, 9-off, 10-on, 11-on, and 12-off). I'm amazed at how much time has passed since my initial install but, I finally pulled my tupperware to get the bugs out of my cruise control. I found the set coast button issue was switch 12 in the on position even though I had marked my notes as off.:rolleyes1: In the interest of saving time, I set the remaining switches to your switch combination. I then took my partially naked NT out for a run and the cruise works perfectly! It's really nice to have tap up/down available too. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
The surging and failure to accelerate/decelerate with a button push as Walt describes sounds like the way my Rostra did when it was new. I've never changed the dip switch settings, but oddly enough, all those "eccentricities" have become much smaller issues. I learned fairly early that the surging that occurs when I set the cruise speed between 40-50 mph, went away if I just tapped the accelerate button once or twice. I have no idea why, but the Rostra now almost always lets me accelerate/decelerate 1 mph by pushing the appropriate button. When I accelerate, it will sometimes drop below the initial set speed but then pick back up to a speed up 1 mph higher than the initial set speed. Accurate deceleration isn't quite as frequent, but if I hold the decelerate button until I reach the speed I want and then tap the accelerate button quickly, it will hold that speed.

OP
OP
Electraclyde
Bike
2013 Harley Police bike
Success!!!!! After much fiddling with the 12 on/off switches, I have a combo that works very well. Set the cruise, and it will surge up and down about 3mph a couple of times and then settle in on a steady speed. I have set it as low as 35mph and as high as 86mph. The tap up and down works as it should and the accelerate/excel also works as it should. Now if my cobble job of connecting the cruise cable to the throttle will stay together, I will be very happy.
My switches are set as follows: 1&2 off, 3,4,5&6 on, 7,8&9 off, 10&11 on, and 12 off. I did use the 250-3592 switch. This has the "engaged" light.
Now I am really looking forward to riding to Spearfish.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Congratulations! Your ride to Spearfish will be more enjoyable. See you there!

Top Bottom