CTX 'Bust'?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
It's like ridiculing someone who moved to the South because they were fed up with snow shoveling, and you enjoy it. There is no right or wrong when it's someone's opinion and we all need to respect that.
+1 to what George said! Everybody is entitled to their opinion and there are no right or wrong opinions. Opinions are based on personal experience and personal preference. They are not entirely objective and data-driven.

I also agree with him about chain maintenance: It may not be a big issue, but it's sure more complicated that the final drive maintenance I've expended over about 1/4 million miles on my four shaft-drive bikes.

OP
OP
Miairhead
Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I started the thread because a NT with bags was listed for such a low price. The listing is gone so maybe it was in error or a phishing looking for people money.

Yep putting a bike on a center stand and spraying lube is very easy, and I want to do that all the time too. I hate the fact that once every season or two I have to remove two cap screws and drain and fill the final drive: just plan stupid of me. I am very lazy and forgetful so I would be buying lube all the time when I leave for a trip and would have an assortment of lubes on a shelf in my garage.
TIME TO CLOSE THREAD AND MOVE ON.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
You would only purchase the CTX over the NT if it meet your needs better. In my case it does not at any price. If you gave it to me for free I would just sell it and buy more stuff for my NT :)

Bike
2014 Black Yamaha Bolt
You know, this "beginner bike" stuff is starting to get to me a bit. Was your first car a "beginner car" ? No, it was probably something you saved for and had to work on to keep running. At least I did. My first bike was a '63 Harley Sprint, it was what I could afford and yes it had a chain and typical of the day needed lots of help to keep running. The engine was small but the bike wasn't for the times. My next few bikes all had chains, most bikes did and you delt with it. A pocket sized chain breaker and an extra link and you were on your way. Try that with a shaft or belt. It wasn't till Honda came out with the VT750 Shadow in 83 that I learned the wonders of shaft drive. And not till 2013 did I have a belt drive. Beginner bikes are what you start riding on, not what some marketing dweeb tells you should be riding so he can "up-size" you later. Sorry, just venting.:cool:

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
You know, this "beginner bike" stuff is starting to get to me a bit. Was your first car a "beginner car" ? No, it was probably something you saved for and had to work on to keep running. At least I did. My first bike was a '63 Harley Sprint, it was what I could afford and yes it had a chain and typical of the day needed lots of help to keep running. The engine was small but the bike wasn't for the times. My next few bikes all had chains, most bikes did and you delt with it. A pocket sized chain breaker and an extra link and you were on your way. Try that with a shaft or belt. It wasn't till Honda came out with the VT750 Shadow in 83 that I learned the wonders of shaft drive. And not till 2013 did I have a belt drive. Beginner bikes are what you start riding on, not what some marketing dweeb tells you should be riding so he can "up-size" you later. Sorry, just venting.:cool:
True, but it is marketing... and Honda knows most beginners aren't going to start with a wing but they want them to go there eventually... So what would you typically want in a beginner bike? Cheap and small-ish.. I think some of the new CT and CB bikes are great for that.. small, affordable, not overpowered but enough for a beginner and pretty cool styling IMO.. it's just more options and as long as Honda is trying something, at least it's trying instead of them just sitting there watching the other companies upgrade bikes... it may not be what WE would want, YET, but at least they are doing something and I'd get a Honda before I'd look at any other bike when I'm purchasing.

elizilla

People ask me about beginner bikes and I always say not to look at it as something that will be your only bike until death do you part. You are not marrying it. You won't know what you really want until you go out and ride. So get something you can afford, and that doesn't intimidate you. For a long time those were not qualities the OEMs bothered with very much, but recently there are a lot more choices. About time!

Bike
2010 Red NT700
When I got back into riding, the reason I started with the CBR 250 was because I didn't want to spend a ton of money, then realize I wasn't going to enjoy it. Plus, I was locked into having something brand new, and the 250 fit my budget.
A few months later I figured out what I wanted in a bike and moved up to the NT

I lost maybe $1500 in the process, but I don't regret the way it went down
Now, some of the gear I have bought and not used, I wish I could return

Bike
2010 NT700V
"stupidity of a chain"?!?!?!?!?
WOW!!
I guess when I bought my first bike in 1966, I shouldn't have been so stupid that I bought one with a chain. I should have waited 30 or 40 years for belts and shafts to be available in more than a couple of models.
Stupid me.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
[

QUOTE=suvcw04;105300]"stupidity of a chain"?!?!?!?!?
WOW!!
I guess when I bought my first bike in 1966, I shouldn't have been so stupid that I bought one with a chain. I should have waited 30 or 40 years for belts and shafts to be available in more than a couple of models.
Stupid me.[/QUOTE]

:beatdeadhorse: Some like it, Some don't. No big deal. I got both. Nothing more to see here folks, Move along.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
What Katherine said about "not being married" to your first bike got me thinking about my progression and rethinking the CTX.

I learned to ride on a friend's '86 Honda Shadow 600. I assumed that when I bought a bike I'd get a metric cruiser. But when the day to buy came, the first bike I looked at was an '83 Honda GL-650i that was advertised in the Rocky Mountain News. All the ad said was "For Sale: Honda GL-650i. $2500. 970-867-xxxx."

That 970-867-xxxx let me know it was in Fort Morgan and the $2500 was about all I could afford so I called the guy. I had ridden a PC800 that a church member wanted to sell and absolutely love it but he wanted $4,000 and that was out of my league since I was going through a divorce.

When I got over to the seller's place there was a PC800 parked next to a wine-colored big-looking touring bike. I wondered where the bike that was for sale was until the guy came out and told me that it was the "touring" bike he was selling. He told me to go for a ride and insisted that I ought to take it for at least 50-60 miles. By the time I got home I was sold.

The farthest I'd ever ridden the Shadow had been about 160 miles in a day. On the Silverwing I headed out on a 360 mile jaunt to Colorado Springs and back the 2nd day I had it. The riding position was perfect and the bike had a huge pocket of still air (the seller had put the biggest windscreen I'd ever seen on the bike -- it was the biggest one JC Whitney sold and it was at least 6" above the top my helmet).

I quickly decided I liked having a way to carry stuff and keep it dry. The SilverWing had small panniers and a small (one-helmet) trunk, and I could carry enough stuff to take a 3-4 day trip if I packed light. I learned it would keep up with my Associate Pastor's GoldWing 1200 up to about 75mph and that it was drag-limited to a 94mph top speed.

I put 19,000 miles on that bike the first year I owned it, but riding CO-92 between Crawford and Blue Mesa Dam made me realize that it didn't have the stiffest frame or best brakes. After I got onto US-50 on that trip, I passed a couple on matching BMW R1100RTs and we passed each other about 10-12 times in miles between Salida and Colorado Springs. That's when I knew that I needed an RT.

I realized I wouldn't have what I needed when I learned that a new RT cost about $18,000 and used ones weren't that much cheaper. Then I found the Kawasaki Concours ZG1000 and bought a brand-new one for $7200 and sold my SilverWing for $2200.

The Connies I had served me well for the next 165,000 miles until I got the NT700V.

When I think about that Silvewing, I realize that its luggage wasn't as good as what's available for the CTX. The CTX is bound to have better brakes, handle better, and be just about as comfortable. All of a sudden it doesn't look as bad as I'd been thinking. If someone has a CTX and uses it the way I used the SilverWing, they'll learn whether or not they like long-distance riding and will learn what they need to know before they buy their next bike.

It's just too bad that if they decide they want a better mid-sized sport-touring bike they won't be able to find it from Honda. And, like me, they might not want to spring for a BMW's cost and reliability issues.

I'm waiting for the sport-touring version of the Yamaha MT-09 triple!

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Chuck, I'm sorry if you took offense to my post. It was meant to be a tongue in cheek, sarcastic comment regarding the great debate going on here. Didn't you see the big grin smiley face?
Did not take offence. I'm retired, can't get me upset. Just was getting bored with the chain contraversaty. All Useful info had been discussed. Time to move on and continue to fuss about Honda's lack of Geezer Vision.:eek:

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I just came back from the Honda shop
They had a CTX700 with the taller optional windscreen and panniers
Asking price $11K
So that white one is a steal for whoever buys it

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Asking price $11K
Interesting, I find that a bit high for the CTX style bike. make the NT sound like a bargain. Was that with ABS and dual clutch tranny? For that price , probably?

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
To just lube a chain is only half of the required maintenance to maintain it in good operating order. You have to clean the thing to get the dirt/grime out of it or it will kink and need replacement just as quick as if you didn't lube it. Yes doing the cleaning/lubing when the chain is warm makes it easier but it is a dirty job and one required at very frequent intervals (more so should you ride in wet conditions). I've cared for many motorcycles with chains and I would NEVER consider a chain on any bike I planned on touring with. I'd be cleaning/lubing the chain every day on my cross-country tours.

Lube and clean a chain every 500 miles versus change out the FD every 24k? There is no way it takes longer to properly maintain a shaft over a chain.

I bought my first bike in 1966. The NT was the first bike I owned that did not have a chain. I NEVER replaced one. After a ride, while the chain is hot, I sprayed it with chain lube. The light, carrier components evaporate, the heavier lube components stick. It takes far less time to lube a chain 50 times than it takes to service a shaft even once.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I went to the Honda website. The only way I could get the CTX to price out at $11K is to pick every option available and there were quite a few.

Bike
Bonneville T120
Asking price $11K
Based on Honda's website that must be the ABS version with the automatic transmission and every possible accessory!

Sorry, I posted before I read all of the posts on the thread!

elizilla

We looked at the CTX1300 today at the motorcycle show. That's the one that is basically a low, feet-forward version of the ST1300. My sweetie really likes it, but he's not as long of leg as I am. I didn't even try to sit on it; I am so awkward that I was limiting my climb-aboard-and-test-sit, to bikes I was keen on.

I am wondering what kind of deal the Honda dealer will give me if I buy two bikes at once. No, not a CTX. But I want that Grom. And one of the DCT models.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The Grom looks like a hoot! If'n my pockets wuz deeper, I'd buy one!

Mike

tawilke46

Well Mike, I saw what was the most unlikely couple of two wheelers. Two Groms, one red and one black, did wheelies across the intersection as I sat at a red light. I had just left the Honda dealer and was on my way home. This is the first sighting for me of a Grom. Never seen one at a dealer. Evidently dealers sell them as fast as they get them in.
I did sit on a Yamaha FZ09 while I was At the dealer. Man, what a light compact motorcycle. Short wheelbase. My salesman "friend" Gary wants me to come in one day and take it out for a test run. I think I'll do just that one day soon........before they sell it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom