CTX700 thoughts

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Thought I’d ask the experts about this. What do you guys think of the CTX700 as a replacement for the NT? Does anyone own one or have you ridden one? Thoughts.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I have four pals who have them and they love it. It obviously doesn't have integral luggage and the Honda accessory bags are miniscule but mighty in price! It also has a fairly small tank so range is rather limited, maybe less than 150 miles? The seating position with forward mounted foot controls is a real turnoff for me.

I have an NC700X/DCT and it has the same engine/transmission used in the CTX.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I have four pals who have them and they love it. It obviously doesn't have integral luggage and the Honda accessory bags are miniscule but mighty in price! It also has a fairly small tank so range is rather limited, maybe less than 150 miles? The seating position with forward mounted foot controls is a real turnoff for me.

I have an NC700X/DCT and it has the same engine/transmission used in the CTX.
Thanks for the feedback. I forgot to mention, it has the DCT.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
In the CTX spec sheet, they list "29 litres" as the capacity of the accessory side bags x 2 = 58 litres. That's more than the capacity of the NT's integral bags (54 litres) but the internal shape of the CTX bags has lots of bumps and protrusions, making them difficult to pack compared to the NT. And of course, there is no comparison to the NT/w big lids = 71 litres!

The NT is my long distance bike used most often on multi-day trips so it all depends on what you want from a CTX. The NT has a large fuel tank, luggage capacity and shaft drive. :) If you want the CTX for a around-town bike with some infrequent, long distance trips, I think it'll be fine but this is really an apples vs oranges comparison because both bikes were designed for different purposes.

ps. Check on the price of the CTX bags + mounts before you go much further in your thinking because they are precious.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 NT700V
I think it'll be fine but this is really an apples vs oranges comparison because both bikes were designed for different purposes.
I wouldn't consider the CTX as a replacement with its cruiser riding position either. A NC700X with taller windscreen fitted would be closer to the feel of the NT. It has a standard riding position like the NT, and you'd be able to easily rise up off the seat if needed. With either the NC or CTX you're trading in shaft drive for chain maintenance. The CTX and NC do have six gears and the parallel twin plant used in those can squeeze out a few more MPG over the NT. If you're doing a lot of high speed interstate and found the NT's higher 5th gear revs disconcerting (I don't mind), that 6th gear is nice.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I know I have and I am sure others have ridden the NT at 85 for couple of hours with not one issue. I taken mine up to 105 once and it still could of had more, but I did not.

Bike
Bloom Red 2010 NT700v
DirtFlier makes a great point here. Here are some links that may help you... "Saddle Bag" search on CTX700 forum

In the CTX spec sheet, they list "29 litres" as the capacity of the accessory side bags x 2 = 58 litres. That's more than the capacity of the NT's integral bags (54 litres) but the internal shape of the CTX bags has lots of bumps and protrusions, making them difficult to pack compared to the NT. And of course, there is no comparison to the NT/w big lids = 71 litres!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
DirtFlier said: "In the CTX spec sheet, they list "29 litres" as the capacity of the accessory side bags..."

When I've looked at the CTX, it's seemed to me as if their combined useful capacity might be 29 litres. I don't like the riding position, either. But I will concede that I like the seat height.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The wording in the Honda accessory specs makes it sound as if each bag is 29 L capacity but they do look pretty thin.

I have to admit that I did seriously consider a CTX instead of an NC and would have learned to live with the forward foot controls but the smallish fuel tank (3.1 gals) made the CTX a No-Go for me. And the low seat (28.3") has a nice shape that more closely approximates the contours of the human backside. :)

Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The forward foot controls would be a deal breaker for me. I would much rather have the NC700/750. The styling doesn't please me much either. To each his own, buy what YOU like, after all, it is YOUR money.

Mike

OP
OP
Bike
2010 Red NT700V

The NT is my long distance bike used most often on multi-day trips so it all depends on what you want from a CTX. The NT has a large fuel tank, luggage capacity and shaft drive. :) If you want the CTX for a around-town bike with some infrequent, long distance trips, I think it'll be fine but this is really an apples vs oranges comparison because both bikes were designed for different purposes.

ps. Check on the price of the CTX bags + mounts before you go much further in your thinking because they are precious.
Thanks, DirtFlier, I appreciate the info. I like everything about the NT (now that I’ve put external lid latches on) except it’s height and weight and some minor irritations like no hazard warning switch, etc. The CTX is a little lighter, at least before adding the bags. Maybe not after that. And it’s lower to the ground, at least the seat is. I do like the shaft drive of the NT. Guess I’ll have to ride a CTX.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I wouldn't consider the CTX as a replacement with its cruiser riding position either. A NC700X with taller windscreen fitted would be closer to the feel of the NT. It has a standard riding position like the NT, and you'd be able to easily rise up off the seat if needed. With either the NC or CTX you're trading in shaft drive for chain maintenance. The CTX and NC do have six gears and the parallel twin plant used in those can squeeze out a few more MPG over the NT. If you're doing a lot of high speed interstate and found the NT's higher 5th gear revs disconcerting (I don't mind), that 6th gear is nice.
Thanks for the info. I’ll have to take a look at the NC700X. I don’t mind running the NT at highway speeds in 5th gear. Used to it.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
DirtFlier said: "In the CTX spec sheet, they list "29 litres" as the capacity of the accessory side bags..."

When I've looked at the CTX, it's seemed to me as if their combined useful capacity might be 29 litres. I don't like the riding position, either. But I will concede that I like the seat height.
Thanks, Phil. I won’t know about the seating position unless I give it a try. I do have reservations about it but only riding will tell.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
The wording in the Honda accessory specs makes it sound as if each bag is 29 L capacity but they do look pretty thin.

I have to admit that I did seriously consider a CTX instead of an NC and would have learned to live with the forward foot controls but the smallish fuel tank (3.1 gals) made the CTX a No-Go for me. And the low seat (28.3") has a nice shape that more closely approximates the contours of the human backside. :)
I’ll ask the dealer parts person, whom I trust from past experience, about the capacities of those bags.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
The forward foot controls would be a deal breaker for me. I would much rather have the NC700/750. The styling doesn't please me much either. To each his own, buy what YOU like, after all, it is YOUR money.

Mike
Know what you mean, Mike. I got back into riding in 2010 and in 2011 bought my NT (a 2010). Since then I’ve owned 3 Harleys (loved them) an FJR1300ES (great bike) and a 2017 Wing. Still have the Wing and the NT. The NT is just too good to part with unless I can find something lower, better balanced, and at least a bit lighter. But NT is just a super all around bike.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Thanks everyone for you input, I appreciate it. Was just informed this thread was transferred to a dead end forum so I’ll close it out. Again, thanks for the help.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT

Mike
Like. Like like like. The NC 750 can be farkeled to a nice ride. I would even rather have Yoda's CB 500. I test rode his bike and I was very impressed.

Top Bottom