CTX700 thoughts

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
The NT doesn't seem to mind running at 5000+ RPM all day long, so I don't mind. :)
I agree,unless you have a head wind, then you may find you are using all your BMEPs to go 5 k with no throttle left. On my trip to Spearfish through MT, I had a slight tail wind and could cruise comfortably at 5,000- 5,500 rpm with throttle to spare. Bike seemed very happy. At 5,000, Indicated MPG for a tank was 60 with a true MPG of 55.

Bike
2010 NT700V
I owned a NC700 a few years ago and found it comfortable. Being back in the market for a sensible bike, I was extremely close to pulling the trigger on another manual NC at a local dealer. I did some last minute browsing of Honda model designations and came across the NT700V. I somehow passed over the Deauville when it was new, and initially thought upon seeing "NT700" was just another bike they dropped the CTX/NC parallel twin into. After reading up on the NT seeing the softer styling, traditional gauge pack, inch lower seat height, integrated storage, shaft drive, higher available rev range, adjustable windscreen and more touring protection I decided to pass on the NC. While the NC I previously owned was certainly a nice bike, I'm glad I passed.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The engine in the NT evolved from the 650GT Hawk that was a naked, sport bike introduced around 1988-89. The engine in the NC was all-new when it was first introduced in 2012.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
The engine in the NT evolved from the 650GT Hawk that was a naked, sport bike introduced around 1988-89. The engine in the NC was all-new when it was first introduced in 2012.
I remember reading that it was derived from the engine in the Honda Fit. Seems like I saw that in my Brit-bike magazine, "Bike."

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
That's a common myth, in fact some called it "half of a Honda fit engine."

None of the bore & stroke dimensions, valve sizes, etc., are the same between the Fit and the NC/CTX engines but they do share some concepts in regards to manufacturing.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I remember reading that it was derived from the engine in the Honda Fit. Seems like I saw that in my Brit-bike magazine, "Bike."
I assume the Honda Fit reference is for the NC and not the NT. The Honda Fit has a 1500 CC Honda V-Tec engine in it. I am not sure what part of that they would have copied for the NC.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
I currently own both the NT and NC. Like DirtFlier mine is a DCT. I mainly commute on the NT putting about 60 miles a day on it. I do pull out the NC on a Friday to ride it to work or have it as my back up when NaTalie is down for repairs. Also, it is my go-to bike when I go riding with my buddies.

I have had this bike now for 5 years and bought it new. I like the found freedoms that only DCT can get you and the 3 different driving modes. The bike averages 55 MPG in LA freeway and driving conditions. The only downside of the bike is that is chain drive and requires more maintenance. Selecting the correct high quality of drive chain is essential. I went on the cheap side and that chain stretches on every ride and has started to chew up my sprockets. Lesson learned.

Overall the NC700X has been a good bike and wouldn't trade it for anything else.

Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The NC750 would be on my short list should something happen to Traveller.

Mike

Kuna, Idaho a sparkling jewel in a park-like setti
I am with Brillot2000.
I too own both the NT and a 2015 NC700DCT and agree with his comparisons.
I live in a more rural part of Idaho do my fuel economy is better.
The NC is better in traffic and I do drive it more than the NT.
Part of that is preserving the irreplaceable NT as it nears 80,000 miles.

I too bought a much better quality chain for the NC after 20,000 miles.
I also added a bigger windscreen.
The downsides are the crummy seat and the smaller gas tank.

Dave

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
SuperDave - I don't think you have to worry about saving or preserving your NT700V with 75k+ miles. There are guys (WoodAddict, Rust-in-Peace, Phil T, etc.) who've put a ton more mileage on their NTs without problems with the engine or running gear. Mine is at around 73-74k miles now and still used as my long distance bike.

It doesn't use any oil and doesn't seem to mind if I run down the interstate at 5000+ RPM for hours on end. :)

Top Bottom