Cure for bike lust

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Went to the dealer today to get my new PR3 mounted on my front rim and spent a nice half hour looking at bikes....first I saw the new CB1100...man that thing is NICE...very small for the ccs and they even provided bungie hook studs...
I need that in my living room if nothing else....
Then I sat on the BMW 800GT and it spoke to me....its not perfect but it has lots of appeal...with some handlebars that go farther back and a taller windscreen, I'm there ....so I got my Honda 60 Molly paste and paid for the tire install and went home and there was my NT....and I said to myself, I still have the best bike around for ME. Maybe I will put a card board cutout of the CB in my living room.....

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Chris, I put my CB550 and CB550 "Parts Bike"(a complete bike, but apart) up for sale real cheap. The 550 runs but is cosmetically challenged. The plan is to get a CB1100. My NT is not for sale.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
That CB1100 makes me nostalgic for my '82 CB900C...It sure was a good bike
10 speed tranny, adjustable pneumatic rear suspension, throttle lock...
One of my favorites

Last edited:
OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I think the CB1100 Speaks to lots of folks of our generation....while I could never go back to those days (how did I tour on a CB350 Twin? ) the bike just flat out rocks.....
it has some sort of nostalgic beauty that , when you first see it, makes you unable to look away....I did tell the salesman if Honda ever made a version with a fairing, two
usable panniers, and a luggage rack, I couldnt stay away....Alex, you go, man!
The way we were.....

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
The New CB1100 only has a 3.5 gal tank. Maybe only 150 to 180 miles per tank. Need more for good touring out West.

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
I just sat on a CB1100 today. It fits me really well. I could get my feet flat and no handlebar relocation required -- something I have had to do on many bikes. But the wallet says "Not this year". I also sat on the sporterized version of the Gold Wing, the one with the cut down windscreen and no tail trunk. It reminded me of the Valkyrie I had for 12 years. Nice. I could go for that also, but the wallet REALLY said NO.

Bike
Bonneville T120
I agree that the CB1100 is a great looking bike. I'm excited to get some feedback from someone who has ridden one. I'd be really interested if I didn't have a Bonneville as they are both bikes with a retro look. Alex, they have one at Bangor Motor Sports for the next time you're up this way.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Yes, the lust is there. But, I also realize I can only ride one bike at a time.

I would like a small dirt bike, but, then I have to ride on highways to get where I could use it. So, a dual sport. But, when on a trip I don't want the less comfortable ride. And it is still a bit heavy for off road work. And then there is the road trips. Comfort is key, so a full or at least 3/4 fairing. And commuting. Easy to store things. Light steering to get around parking lots.

So, the NT does just about all of it except rockier dirt roads.

If the F800GT was same price as the NT I might have bought one, but, at the price I would get a Guzzi Norge instead. The beemer is just not enough bike for the money. And I bet their resale is even worse than the NT.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Charlie,
I suspect as the NT becomes harder to get, that the resale value will go up. I certainly plan to keep mine. As a bike for shortish jaunts, I would like to get a CB1100. I had planned to restore or Cafe a CB550K, but it would be time consuming, expensive, and would take away riding time. I could do it in the winter with my heated garage--this winter was a total loss due to illness. I think that selling the CB550 and the parts bike would be a good move.

tawilke46

For me, the CB1100 would make a great second bike when the Wee goes to California.
But then again why not another Wee?

In the past week I have seen the CB1100, the F6B, and the new Triumph Trophy. What cured me of bike lust on each was: 1)the view of the CB1100 on the non muffler side, 2) remembering that the F6B is still 800+lbs, 3)sitting on the sure to create a wedgie seat of the Triumph. But they all sure look good especially the F6B in red.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I am actually avoiding checking out the CB1100 in person. My first bike was red TU250X, which is a traditional standard without a fairing and 18" wheels. I really really loved that bike. I traded it on the NT and should have kept it. I don't regret buying the NT at all, but I didn't get a good trade in and should have just kept it. I only upgraded because I wanted to grow my motorcycling experience from local rides to touring and needed something that could carry a load and maintain the speed limit going uphill against a headwind. The TU only makes like 18hp to the rear wheel, and I am tall enough to be a big sail on the little bike. My little Tu250X was originally bought to be an around town bike. It exceeded my expectations so well I found myself out on back roads with 65 and 70mph speed limits. This was fine most of the time, but hills and headwinds could really kill my top speed and piss of the cages behind me. I loved that bike so much that if the CB1100 had been available I would have probably made that move. Mine was even red. I am worried that the CB1100 might have the magic of the TU but be more usable for this area. I may pick one up eventually, but I already have two bikes.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I had never seen a TU250 until one day when I was at Sun Honda having a service done. There is a guy who offers the BRC in the parking lot of the (mostly) abandoned mall across the street. I went over and watched his six students do the riding exercises. Five were on TUs, one on her own Kymco 50cc scooter. I thought it was a neat looking little bike.

I saw the first one I've ever seen for sale yesterday at the Honda/Suzuki/Kawasaki dealership in Sterling, CO, 50 miles NE of here. I still think it's a neat looking little bike. But due to many personal constraints, I'm unlikely to have one -- until I get to the day when I can only handle a 250cc-around-town bike.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I wished you wouldnt have said that Alex... now the bike is really talking to me! How would you describe the vibration vs an NT? (I am fishing for reasons to hate the CB...) Imagine if Honda turned it into a Switchback model....an easily removable pair of panniers and fairing....I sat on it again when I got my rear tire changed....it looks right, it is the right size physically, you can actually see the engine....I could live with the small tank....
Test rode a CB1100 yesterday----OMG! That is one sweet bike.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I wished you wouldn't have said that Alex... now the bike is really talking to me! How would you describe the vibration vs an NT? (I am fishing for reasons to hate the CB...) Imagine if Honda turned it into a Switchback model....an easily removable pair of panniers and fairing....I sat on it again when I got my rear tire changed....it looks right, it is the right size physically, you can actually see the engine....I could live with the small tank....

Here is my reason that I am telling myself the bike won't work for me.........The tank is only 3.5 gal. How far on a tour will that take me? My goal would be to put a bikini faring on it and some Givi bags and go ride.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Honda says the tank is 3.9 gallons, wiht the .9 being reserve....Well, now we really dont know how far say 3 gallons will take us on this bike yet....I still say the tank isnt a deal breaker.....but then I also think 100 miles straight is quite enough...
Here is my reason that I am telling myself the bike won't work for me.........The tank is only 3.5 gal. How far on a tour will that take me? My goal would be to put a bikini faring on it and some Givi bags and go ride.

jwayne

Honda says the tank is 3.9 gallons, wiht the .9 being reserve....Well, now we really dont know how far say 3 gallons will take us on this bike yet....I still say the tank isnt a deal breaker.....but then I also think 100 miles straight is quite enough...

Hi Chris,

My bike is now getting about 48 miles to a gallon; 150 miles to a tank is not a problem. I ordered a Honda rear rack and a bikini fairing from Japan it should be here next week. I will post a few pictures once I get installed.

Jwayne

Top Bottom