Dad-gummed Pannier Latches!!!!

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
It is too bad that Honda went cheap on the lids, but, not the first time they have done that. The switch gear design hasn't changed any in 40 years, so, I suspect this lid design with stay with them for at least as long. After all, Honda does not want you to keep the NT, they want you to "move up" to a Wing or ST.

OTOH, my latches never gave me a problem. I installed the external ones cause I knew I would stuff the larger lids with 2 or 3 times as much :)

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
The dealer has backed me except for when I cracked the inside of one of my big lids.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
Yes, apologies, reading my post I was not very clear. The forward end of the mechanism is loose. The U-plates on the lid are just fine (so far). I believe that I can see where the black plastic of the pannier itself has a broken mount point for the mechanism at the forward most end.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
Here is Charlie's original post with the supplier info - they do look good. Wendell

Re: Broken saddlebag lid latch
http://www.hardwareelf.com/elf/latchesandlocks.jsp

#L-032 most of the way down the page.

As others have shown there are other types around. I just liked the look of these.

You do have to plan ahead. I found the only two spots where I could reach behind the plastic to attach the bike side of the latches. It is best to do a "dry run" of drilling holes and fixing the latches so you don't drill through something you shouldn't.

FWIW, I positioned the lid side of the latches so the holes did not enter the cargo side of the lid. The lip is wide enough to accept the backing washer for the rivet.

U20417

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Yes, apologies, reading my post I was not very clear. The forward end of the mechanism is loose. The U-plates on the lid are just fine (so far). I believe that I can see where the black plastic of the pannier itself has a broken mount point for the mechanism at the forward most end.
The latch mechanism is held to the pannier by 4 screws, two at each end. If the bike is still under warranty let the dealer fix it. Otherwise I would recommend removing the pannier from the bike and repairing the mount point with some type of epoxy. I have had good luck using Loctite epoxy. It is s two part liquid that you mix and use within 5 minutes. Although in this case you may want to consider a more rigid epoxy like JB Weld. You will need to get the mount point flat to make the repair as easy as possible, and pay very close attention to getting it back in the exact original location. Otherwise the latch may not function properly.

The plastic welding method (see video in this thread) would probably make a better fix, but this would be a very difficult spot to preform the welding in. So for me it would be the epoxy. Good luck and take your time. It might be a good idea to make a dry run before you use the epoxy just to make sure you have everything positioned well.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
Thanks a bunch for the info!! I'm checking with the dealer. I purchased it used with 5281 miles on it, so not sure if there will be any warranty coverage.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
If it's been less than a year since it was first sold, it is still covered by warranty. Or if it had extended warranty coverage like mine does. That is transferrable.

Bpaz

I have installed my latches and removed the faulty OEM latching mechanism. These were pretty easy to install, once I got over the fear of drilling a hole in the expensive pannier in the wrong place. I purchased these Wixom saddlebag latches from www.cyclepsycho.com for only $12/pair, and they shipped quickly and easily. I'm glad to have done something to get this problem behind me.

latch.jpg

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
OK, I ordered two of these. I am planning on using two on the right side....like my Connie has. Do you feel one is enough? It may take a bit of engineering to disable the existing mechanism for one side only...we shall see.

I have installed my latches and removed the faulty OEM latching mechanism. These were pretty easy to install, once I got over the fear of drilling a hole in the expensive pannier in the wrong place. I purchased these Wixom saddlebag latches from www.cyclepsycho.com for only $12/pair, and they shipped quickly and easily. I'm glad to have done something to get this problem behind me.

latch.jpg

Bpaz

I do think one will work, I put two on because I purchased them, but probably could have done it with just one. The OEM latches were still working, but it was a matter of time. The studs were cracked in every place they could crack, and I had already stiffened everything with a very healthy layer of JBWeld, which had already started cracking. My method of "disabling" the OEM latches was to simply take off the brackets on the inside of each pannier. Since they were broken/breaking, I just wanted them out of the way.

The only thing I don't like is that the old latch handles stick out just a little bit because the latch is not set. I'm still pondering how to resolve that.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
If you want to set the latch, just use screwdrivers (or similar) to push in on both of the latches until they lock.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
If the old latch handles aren't set because the latch isn't set, couldn't you use something to hold it in the closed position? I'm thinking using something like a glue gun, which will hold, but is removable.

How much different is the latching mechanism on the ST1100/ST1300?

Chris
They are not only different from the NT, they are different between the 1100 and the 1300. Never had one single problem with either over many years and miles.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Thanks! I will remove my brackets also....
I do think one will work, I put two on because I purchased them, but probably could have done it with just one. The OEM latches were still working, but it was a matter of time. The studs were cracked in every place they could crack, and I had already stiffened everything with a very healthy layer of JBWeld, which had already started cracking. My method of "disabling" the OEM latches was to simply take off the brackets on the inside of each pannier. Since they were broken/breaking, I just wanted them out of the way.

The only thing I don't like is that the old latch handles stick out just a little bit because the latch is not set. I'm still pondering how to resolve that.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
BTW, the L-070As in Black here look like they need to be tried....
http://www.hardwareelf.com/elf/latchesandlocks.jsp

OK, I just ordered the black ones to try...the OEM Connie ones are $65 a piece or I would use those....

Last edited:
Kuna, Idaho a sparkling jewel in a park-like setti
I had mine back into the Honda shop for the third time.
The shop reports taht the spings were "elongated" and were replaced.
However, the left cover popped open on the way home.

The rest of the bike is great, I am very unhappy with the latches though.
Unhappy enough to sell the dang motorcycle.

I ordered these replacements.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_48481_48481

SuperDave

Last edited:

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Wendell, how did you mount the piece that goes on the black plastic? I think I need to get in there and see what I can get to with my fingers so I can use a backing plate and nuts for my latches.
My OEM latches haven't died, but I am trying to be pro-active. If I have a problem on the road I want to have "plan B" ready. The bottom hinges seem to be solid enough and so far, I haven't had any reason to worry about them. Wendell

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Yes, I will post a good tutorial on how I put them on with pics....if they are as good as I think they are, they should work fine. The whole trick is to get the spacing correct between the latch and the hook...and to use backing plates so there isn't a lot of load on any one piece of plastic.....there is a lot going on before Reno and I don't know If I will get them on before then but I will post pics of the latches when they come, both open and closed...and where I think they should go....
Chris tired of praying when opening and closing the Honda latches
I saw those too, and thought they would be the best match for a black NT.

Could you please take pictures when you're done? I'd like to see the depth they stick out on top...and also what it looks like on the inside.

I'm trying to be extremely careful when I open and close my pannier lids, but I can tell that latch system just isn't going to keep working forever.

Chris

Top Bottom