Danger Mobil M1-108a

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
Perhaps this has been beaten to death already, but i will reinforce the facts:mw1: Mobil 1 M1-108a can be too long at 3". The Mobil 1 M1-108 is (can be?) 2.5" and works. I saw one thread that said the "a" will fit...i guess they never used the center stand or they got a short one (see below). I dont know why i got the "a", just grabbed it.

What a mess. Good thing i was not on the road!

filter1.jpg

filter2.jpg

filter3.jpg

This is my universal filter wrench. I have always put them on as tight as i can by hand. Never had one come off without a wrench.

universal wrench.jpg

Update: I clipped this pic from Amazon. Perhaps the filters come in random sizes or are fakes:doh1:

Screenshot_2021-01-25 Amazon com Mobil 1 M1-108A Extended Performance Oil Filter Automotive.png

Final thought...i believe these filters are used in some Subarus and Mazdas automobiles! Either we are over filtered or they are lacking filtration?

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Yes been there with other filters. Not quite the mess you had though.
You need the correct length but it is not much so is a little tricky.
Also tricky since there is plenty of clearance till you come off the centerstand.
Verify before changing the oil.

Brad

OP
OP
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
Yeah, it was an empty filter when i started it. I heard a weird squirting sound when i started it...before i noticed the mess. I was standing on the left.

Went to Walmart to get more supplies...they have good prices on Mobil 1 which i like. I think that is where i got the "a", since that is all i saw there. They dont carry WIX here, so i got the FRAM PH 6017A...made in USA. I saw the WIX is made in China?

Anyhoo, not to start an oil war, but i bought the Mobil 1 4T motorcycle oil. Meh, i have only used regular Mobil 1 in my DRZ400. 19,000 miles the hard way and never adjusted the valves and still original clutch!

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Not sure about that 6017A. My pics are not great but it looks like that is the one I had issues with. I had bought a couple and used the 2nd one but tie wrapped the centerstand up for that oil cycle.
I also think that I had used a 6017A before without issues. It may have been that the flats on the filter lined up just right to provide clearance. At any rate look closely.

Brad

074.JPG075.JPG076.JPG073.JPG072.JPG

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Back when the bike (and this Forum) were new, we talked about this a lot. I can't remember the last time the subject came up until now. Sorry we let you down! :-(

OP
OP
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
No worries Phil! I kind of remember reading about the filter thing long ago, but totally forgot about it. I just didnt notice the "a" or that it was 1/2" longer. Education is expensive!

So here are the three filters. I think the FRAM is a little longer, but i have installed it and operated the center stand a couple times...all good! Maybe the FRAMs come in multiple lengths as well? I made a note in my oil change records to ALWAYS measure the filter:thumb:

filters.jpg

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
[QUOTE=" I saw the WIX is made in China?

[/QUOTE]

Where did you see that the WIX is made in China? They have factories in SC, Mexico and Europe but I was not aware they are being sourced in China. The WL10000's that I have been using were from Mex.

Mike

OP
OP
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
I saved $3:wave1:
Well, not this time. No Honda dealer near by? Not enough foresight to order ahead? I have no freakin idea!

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
I saw it on Amazon. Could be an error? I guess some are made in China...

wix.PNG
quite often Amazon headline on a product is a name brand, but what you see is a aftermarket version. have to be careful. too many of these to be fact checked. it might be able to report bad info, its an icon line at bottom

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
"...Just get the correct Honda filter, it fits right every time, and it's a known quantity (quality)..."

I couldn't agree more! If you're using a non-Honda filter to save a few bucks, you'd do better to look elsewhere for savings.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
"...Just get the correct Honda filter, it fits right every time, and it's a known quantity (quality)..."

I couldn't agree more! If you're using a non-Honda filter to save a few bucks, you'd do better to look elsewhere for savings.
I will not repeat my long story about using an OEM filter to fix a problem of a collapsed lifter, but I too dont understand why people feel they need to save a few bucks over 3,000-6000 miles. I change my filters once a year. I use OEM. Mike is right. Filters have specs on what they can do and not do.
Recently, I have heard that China, in order to avoid export/import restrictions, has parts "washed" by passing them through other countries with that country's lableing. I dont know if that is true here but buying OEM Honda filters from a known parts supplier in the days of the internet is quick and easy.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
WIX XP 51358XP 2.78 ht. full synthetic media Made in The USA. about $7 Rock Auto.
Sorry....I am not an expert on oil filter design. Flow rates of various weights of oil at various temps and pressures? Relief valve pressure settings?

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Although I've never had to do it, I imagine that some Honda dealers sell filters via the internet so even finding a nearby Honda dealer may not be necessary.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I saw it on Amazon. Could be an error? I guess some are made in China...

wix.PNG
Thanks for the follow-up. I was unaware that Wix does indeed have a manufacturing facility in China. The WL10000's that I have purchased have all been sourced in Mexico. Up until about 2 years ago, Wix was a US company as part of the Affinity group. They had manufacturing plants in the US, Mexico and Poland. They were acquired by Mann+Hummel a German firm known for quality products and is an OE supplier to many European manufacturers. I am always a bit leery of Chinese products and try to avoid them if possible. However when it comes to an acknowledged name brand product who Chinese facility is owned and operated by the parent company and is still responsible for quality control I have no problem.

Mike

OP
OP
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
To be fair guys, i mostly use aftermarket filters on my other vehicles. Pretty common practice? I have done several oil changes on my NT in the past 7 years and never had a problem. The NT is probably an unusual case where using a slightly longer filter creates mayhem:nuke1:

Hopefully this thread will be a reminder that the correct filter is very important for the NT. As for which filter is correct...:smile-popcorn:

Top Bottom