dealer #1 offer to sell me an NT

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Growing tired of waiting for my delayed lung tests from the lung clinic, I decided to visit the closest of three Honda dealers about getting me a 2010 red NT, which are faster than the silver ones cause they dont have the weight of the anti-lock brake system.:rolleyes1:
The salesperson checked the warehouse inventory for the Pacific Northwest and said there were none there but dealers on the coast had them in stock. Since they would have to ship one in from another dealer from 300 miles away, they said I would have to pay retail, which I think is 10Gs, plus the "standard " :tongue:$400 dealer prep. There would be no shipping charges and they would deliver it to my house for free. He also said that he wouldnt be suprised if Honda had some deals/rebates going after the firsst of the year and he would give me a call if they did.
There are two other dealers in the area I will visit and see what they can do for me. Then, I contact the costal dealers and see what their price is.
Personally, I would rather deal locally for $500 than go get it with a Uhaul or something but if the difference is $1,000, I will probably go pick one up on the coast.....
By the way, there is a bug going around here that mimics a cold here but lasts for weeks and weeks...the right antibiotics will kill it. I hope your family doesnt get it but if they do, go to a doc after two weeks....they gave me Levaquin which even kills anthrax and it has some serious side effects but it killed it for me this Oct.
Now to repair my lungs and find out the real breathing issues....
Merry Xmas to all and to all, a good night.
Cough cough chris

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Chris,

Good luck on finding the bike you want at a price you can pay. Back in '10, quite a few of us got the bike at $1000 - $1400 below list...when it was new.

Good luck on the lungs, too!

Bike
Bonneville T120
I realize that I'm about as far away from Spokane as you can get an still be in the continental US. However, the last time I visited Tri-Sports in Topsham, Maine there was a 2010 red NT there, and they want to sell it bad. It was on the show room floor so it is assembled. A salesman at another dealership told me they could ship anywhere in the country for $200. Maybe you should give these folks a call and deal directly with them. I'd be happy to go down and have a look at it for you. I'm keen to have a second look at the Moto Guzzi R7 Classic they have on the floor anyway.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I initially, thought of shopping around for the best price, but the local dealer came well recommended, so I decided to go that route. They are really nice people and have offered to find parts that I might need for my Honda 550 Cafe Racer. One of the techs there owns a 550. I still have to get the bike home once we dig it out of my friend's barn.

prof98801

Check Quincy, WA for a new 2010 non-ABS NT as they have had one there for over a year and probably has never been off the showroom floor.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Thanks, guys! Yes, I want to check the three local dealers just to see what they will do, then contact the WA/OR dealers that have them (thanks for the tip about Quincy) already and see what they will do. No harm in shopping around. If I find a dealer that would sell for $1,000 less than my local guys plus no stinking $400 setup fee, thats kind of a no brainer.

Bike
2010 red NT 700, 1985 Kaw
I paid 5899 for mine in Sept of this year, did get tagged with the 400 dollar set up fee tho. There should be good deals to be had as long as the dealers are not reading this forum and realizing what a great bike we owners have!

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I never quite understood set up charges--especially if the bike is in the showroom and already set up. In my case, I went to the dealer and he had one NT in the showroom. I asked if I could try it out, gave them the key to the Ninja, and went for a ride. I was back in 45min, and started negotiating. I got a good trade on the Ninja, and a good deal on the NT. I paid for the bike, we transferred the plate, and I rode the NT home. All that I paid for was the Documentation fee. I had my title in 5 days.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I never quite understood set up charges--especially if the bike is in the showroom and already set up. In my case, I went to the dealer and he had one NT in the showroom. I asked if I could try it out, gave them the key to the Ninja, and went for a ride. I was back in 45min, and started negotiating. I got a good trade on the Ninja, and a good deal on the NT. I paid for the bike, we transferred the plate, and I rode the NT home. All that I paid for was the Documentation fee. I had my title in 5 days.
Just trying to squeeze a little more money out of a sale. It does take labor and time to set the bike up. They are trying to recoup that time. it is also a item that can be negotiated on and still get retail or close to retail for the dealer.
I want to have the job of the person who sits and thinks up all the FEES. Call me FeeMan.

I bought a Silver Wing four years ago from an e-Bay dealer in Missouri. They shipped it to me in a Honda crate, and I had it in my driveway in a week. Regarding assembly, I had to attach the front fender ( 15 minutes), attached the windshield ( 15 minutes), and put the handlebars on and tighten ( 10 min)

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
As far as i know Mid-South in Clarksville TN has a BLACK NT still crated in thier warehouse.

I cold have had it back in June, but I have my home town dealer with whom I perfer to deal, and they didn't choose to make me any incintive $$$$ offers to take it off of thier hands. If I had jumped into the one in Clarksville I would have at least 10 to 15,000 miles on it already rather than none as it stands as I am impatiently awaiting its arrival later this week.

Bike
2011 Black NT700V
The black is still the current model, so the dealers are less likely to make a better offer.. The 2010's are much easier to get a discount on, particularly if you want non-ABS..

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Very True, BUtt When you know that a dealer has been setting on one for at least 6, or 7 months it might give someone a little leverage / advantage.
I am not really aquainted with the people there, I only enjoyed a convrsation with a nice sales lady for maybe a 1/2 hour in person after having talked on phone and email. I was only in the area there due to the death of a very close old friend and stopped there to see if they REALLY wanted to move a bike that had been in thiere stock for awhile at the time.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I bought a Silver Wing four years ago from an e-Bay dealer in Missouri. They shipped it to me in a Honda crate, and I had it in my driveway in a week. Regarding assembly, I had to attach the front fender ( 15 minutes), attached the windshield ( 15 minutes), and put the handlebars on and tighten ( 10 min)
I saw an NT in the crate and that's about it for them, although my dealer has a checklist of probably 50-60 items. When I bought my Concours from them in '99, I'm pretty sure that the checklist that was just a piece of paper that they made checkmarks on. But with the NT, it looked to me as if they had actually checked everything. I can sure tell that the service department is better run and more careful than they were 12 years ago.

When I bought my NT, the only fee I paid was a "documentation" fee and they told me every item on that fee. It was $109, and sounded reasonable.

GLG

I paid 5899 for mine in Sept of this year, did get tagged with the 400 dollar set up fee tho. There should be good deals to be had as long as the dealers are not reading this forum and realizing what a great bike we owners have!
Rocky, that's a smok'n deal! which dealer in CO? do they have any more?

Gary

GLG

The black is still the current model, so the dealers are less likely to make a better offer.. The 2010's are much easier to get a discount on, particularly if you want non-ABS..
Scott - which dealer in AZ did you get your REALLY FAST 2011 Black one? i'm trying to hold out for a 2011 model but haven't found one yet.

Gary

Bike
2010 red NT 700, 1985 Kaw
Rocky, that's a smok'n deal! which dealer in CO? do they have any more?

Gary
It was the last one at Hi Point Motorsports in Glenwood Springs and was a 2010 so it was on his floor for a while so he took good care of me. That store is a smaller dealer but sells Kawasaki, Honda and Yamaha and really leans more toward crouch rockets, sleds, dirt bikes and ATVs. They gave me a decent trade on my 05 CBR1000RR.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Concerning the setup fee, the dealer is supposed to actually set the bike up and then check off on the paper. That depends quite a bit on the dealer. When I test drove mine the clutch was dragging enough to make the shifts rough. Also the rear brake light would not come on unless you had your whole foot hard into it.
There are a lot of differences in the way the dealers run things.

Brad

Bike
2011 Black NT700V
Scott - which dealer in AZ did you get your REALLY FAST 2011 Black one? i'm trying to hold out for a 2011 model but haven't found one yet.

Gary
It was from Coyote Honda in Avondale AZ.. They had two and put them both on the floor.. They sold them within two weeks of putting them there.. They are both in my garage.. :)

At the time it was the only dealer in metro Phoenix to have the 2011.. I love the dealership, though they wouldnt do much on the price.. It was the first weekend that they had them out, so stood firm..

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Honda of Coeur D'Alene Idaho told me today they have two black ones on order for, I think, $11,200 IIRC.

Went to dealer 2 (Spokane Valley) and dealer 3 (Coeur D'Alene Id) today. Three had the best price....$10,000 plus lic, title and tax,
and I had to do lots of the paperwork, runnning aournd since I am a WA resident. He said the reason many dealers charge the $400 setup
is because there is very little markup on the bike itself. He said (his words, not mine) $700 was all the markup there was although there were
"advantages" to the dealer for selling bikes....

That left dealer 2. He had a Silver 2010 on the floor with 51 miles which he would let me have for $9400. No set up fee. $50 deliverey charge to truck
it to my house 26 miles away. 56 buck "Paperwork fee"

I asked him about a red 2010 and he did a search and found at least 8 of them on the coast of WA. He said he would eat the $200 transport fee to his dealership, eat the $400 prep charge,
and just charge me the 56 buck paperwork fee and the $50 shipping fee to my house from his dealership. He said he doubted Honda would offer any rebates/specials in Jan.
on these but if they did, I would get that too as my bike would be delivered after the 3rd. He wants $200 down to get the bike so I think I will go see him tomarrow.....I sat on the Silver one today
and I really like the way it fits me and that light clutch.
BTW, Dealer 3 said he doubted that there would be any rebates too cause there are none in their warehouses...just in the dealerships...although some do arrive back in the warehouses when dealerships
go belly up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom