Do I need a center stand?

Old Bob

It does seem crazy how you get a centre stand with the NT700, but I had to pay (quite a bit) extra to have it fitted to the XL700 Transalp so I could work on the chain. Most of the time I use the side stand, but use the centre stand for maintenance. The Transalp is a struggle for me (weightwise) and the NT700 is just about my limit these days. I can't get either of them up on the stand without help. A tip I read on another forum was to run the rear wheel up on to a short board (1.1/2 inches, or so, thick) and then put the centre stand down in the usual way - there's more clearance for the stand and the bike is around an inch or two 'up there' already. It's worked for me, so it might be worth a try. There's enough clearance to get the board out, once the bike is up on the stand, so you get to spin the wheel for maintenance. I suppose it would make sense to have help standing by the first time you try in case you get into trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Bobs trick with the board sounds like a very good idea.
A rider strugggling to put it on the centerstand could be asking for trouble (SAD). With the board technique I think it may make it much safer and more feasable for more owners to actually use the centerstand. And maybe prevent a tippover with you under it.
I would suggest a board plenty wide enough so the rear wheel can't fall off it. I think I'll get a board later and try it out.

Brad

Old Bob

Bobs trick with the board sounds like a very good idea ... I think I'll get a board later and try it out.
Brad
OK, but if you don't post again within 24 hrs I'm contacting the enmergency services.

Peace2U_2

i have not mastered the center stand....and i will not attempt to do so without a spotter. the times i have tried.....i did not have a spotter available and dreaded a drop...came close due to trying to manhandle the weight of the bike. I'm tall and not a wimp strength wise...just haven't figured out the smooth procedure for making it happen. i would love to use the center stand. only time used right now is when the NT is in winter storage in the garage...and i had help at that point getting it there. i really don't like how far the bike leans with the regular side stand....so, after i'm done riding...i actually place a two by four under the side stand so the bike is angled more upright. it may not be a fancy solution....but, it works beautifully.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I did try Bobs board trick under the rear wheel and it seems to make it quite a bit easier to get up on the center stand. I used a 3/4 or 1 inch thick piece of wood and it seemed to work pretty well. I think this may make the centerstand usable in the garage for several NT'ers who are having trouble.
It is still mostly a garage/home use tool though. I wouldn't want to carry the wood with me on the road. I use sidestand except for maint when I use the centerstand.

Brad

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I wouldn't want to carry the wood with me on the road. I use sidestand except for maint when I use the centerstand.

I actually carried a 9" length of 1X4 in the bottom of one pannier on the Concours. I could usually get it up on the centerstand (although with WAY more difficulty than the NT!) without that, but there were times when just rolling it up on that little piece of wood made the difference.

Bike
2010 ABS Silver
I use my centerstand everyday in the garage. I need the bike vertical to fit between the table saw and a rack of "stuff" that the wife says I should get rid of, so "I could have more room for the bike". I think it is just a plot to make me clean out my "stuff" and make more room for "other things", but I can't prove it!:smile:

My method in the restricted space is to face the bike and hold it as others have said, and roll it back a bit as I step on the centerstand and lift with the right hand on the passenger handle. When I take it down in the morning I sit on the bike and push it forward so I can use the brake, keep it straight, and keep it from hitting anything as I walk it back out.

Top Bottom