Don't dream it, do it........................ Done !

OP
OP
WVRider

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
Just went on Hwy 20 last week(by car) and still like it. Did you stop at Fort Robinson there West of Chadron? Used to truck thru that road on my way to Salt Lake City. Love your pictures. Have seen most of that area over the years.
Stopped across the road from the campground and took pictures of the buildings that Crazy Horse was held in. They were having the Crazy Horse Memorial Ride (all the folks on horseback) when we went through. We were going to camp at Fort Robinson however were making such good time we continued on to Douglas WY instead.

OP
OP
WVRider

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
DJ that is so awesome.

I'll admit, I am so thoroughly envious - that looks like a trip I would LOVE to do.

Granted, now that you've done it you probably won't again....but if you ever think you might...I can tell you someone else near Boston that would be interested!
Rob, I will for sure do this again. Loved the entire route... Dan is from Boston and hangs out on the ADV board. He had a blast. He rode down this way and I met him at the end of his second day up off I-70 at Zanesville OH. That's where we started from on the 31st. I parted company with him off US 30 at Galion, OH on Sunday about Noon on the 15th. Took him the rest of that day to a campground along I-80 and then made it home on the 16th. Will keep you in mind for next year. I'm thinking a fall trip may be in order for next year.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
did forget to put one thing in there. If heading out from the east, I would highly recommend taking US 20 across upper Nebraska (Bridges to Buttes Byway).
Nebraska is a great state to ride in -- as long as you're not on I-80! NE-2 is great, and so is US-34/6/NE-33.

Bike
Bonneville T120
DJ,
I've been to many of those areas during my career as an academic geologist, but not on a bike.
You've inspired me for a future ride.

bicyclist

A little further south, US36 is a nicer way to get across Missouri and Kansas than the Interstate.

OP
OP
WVRider

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
Wonderful pictures. I haven't seen the Tetons in over 40 years and it was great to see them again. That is a spectacular part of this country. Thanks for taking us along. Averaging over 300 miles a day sounds like a nice pace.

Terry
Well, we did over 500 a day for the first 4 days. Got us from Zanesville OH to the Grand Tetons by Tuesday afternoon. Stayed two nights in Yellowstone so after that we had easy days.

OP
OP
WVRider

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
DJ,
I've been to many of those areas during my career as an academic geologist, but not on a bike.
You've inspired me for a future ride.
Dan, it was fantastic on the bike. If I can get a few videos loaded from my helmet mounted Go-Pro I'll put up a link. It was one of the most amazing rides I've ever done.

paulh

What a fantastic advertisement for a trip to the USA (for me). The scenery is absolutely amazing, fantastic pic's. If i ever get the chance to do a US trip i think i will be using your route !

OP
OP
WVRider

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
What a fantastic advertisement for a trip to the USA (for me). The scenery is absolutely amazing, fantastic pic's. If i ever get the chance to do a US trip i think i will be using your route !
Paulh, if you make it to the US for that trip let us all know and I'll bet several of us would do it again, or for the first time.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
What a great advertisement for Fat Tire beer. I just had one after power washing the driveway. Although I have a truly fantastic driveway, a picture of me kicking up me feet over looking my, as I said "fantanstic", driveway is not nearly as nice as the Tetons in background. Great pics, great inspiration to go ride. Thanks.

paulh

Paulh, if you make it to the US for that trip let us all know and I'll bet several of us would do it again, or for the first time.
I definitely will let you know. It will be next year at the earliest, i would love to do the trip on my NT but i will have to work out all the pro's , cons before i approach my better half :)

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I definitely will let you know. It will be next year at the earliest, i would love to do the trip on my NT but i will have to work out all the pro's , cons before i approach my better half :)
And though many of us couldn't do the entire trip with you, many of us could join you for part of it.

As i'm recuperating it's ride reports like yours that keep my juices flowing. Last year leaving Spearfish, Ken, Rich, and I took South Dakota Hwy. 71 south to Nebraska. 1 mile before the Nebraska state line we came through the little town of Ardmore. It looked pretty abandoned, but I didn't realize that it is an official ghost town. Afterwords I wished we had spent a little more time checking it out. At highway 20 The three of us split going different directions and I took highway 20 east and then went down to Hwy 2 going across Nebraska and it was absolutely a great ride. Keep the ride reports coming. Wendell

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Hey, Wendell - good to see you posting.

How about a "ride report" from you about your recovery and rehab. We're all happy to see your recovery.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Wendell, good to see you on the forum again! We're still pulling (and praying) for you.

I love 71, in South Dakota, Nebraska and in Colorado (but it's more interesting in Nebraska and South Dakota). And I agree that NE-2 is a great ride. In fact, there are many great rides in Nebraska...as long as you stay off of I-80!!!. US-83 north of North Platte, NE-29 between Harrison and Mitchell, and NE-61 north of Ogallala are also very good rides.

Thought I'd share a pretty neat experience I had last year coming south from Spearfish as we passed through Ardmore South Dakota on highway 71. That part of the highway parallels a BNSF railroad track and we happened to be passing a freight train. Since I have (had) a Stebel airhorn I decided to give the engineer a couple of toots see if I could get his attention. Would you believe it, he gave me a couple of toots back - that made my day!

Thanks for your continued concern and prayers for my recovery. I'm doing nicely and everyday I see improvement. Thanks, Wendell

Top Bottom