EFI sensor trouble

Thanks for the update. These modern connectors have been known to cause intermittent problems and that is why they were mentioned as a probable cause. Sometimes just disconnecting and reconnecting can solve a problem as you have found.

Hopefully that is the end of your TPS problems.

Seagrass

Hopefully you have got it fixed.
Much better than replacing a throttle body.

Brad

we sure have some talented NT riders and mechanics here.

a big shout out!!!!

This is a copy of reply posted on "TPS part number" thread:
Latest news: My TPS problem has reappeared this spring. I posted earlier that putting bulb grease on the connector solved it but it came back again not long afterward. It's not consistently happening. I'm supposing that because I don't ride often the "wiper" inside the TPS is not moved often enough to keep those contacts clean. So my next test is to operate the throttle off/on many times in hopes the TPS will "wake up". This, of course, is just a hunch in that the sensor seems to start working after I exercise it and try the ignition off and on a few times. I've got some tour camping coming up, sure hope it hangs in there. As before, will update again of progress.

I put the Yamaha TPS on mine. It is the exact identical OEM part as was on the NT. I still have the MIL 8 problem though. Going to replace the rectifier/regulator and then the battery next.

Good luck

I put the Yamaha TPS on mine. It is the exact identical OEM part as was on the NT. I still have the MIL 8 problem though. Going to replace the rectifier/regulator and then the battery next.

Good luck

It almost never turns out to be a TPS problem.
It is almost always a battery (1st) or reg/rec (2nd) problem.
Many TPS/throttle bodies have been replaced without fixing this problem.

Macka

It almost never turns out to be a TPS problem.
It is almost always a battery (1st) or reg/rec (2nd) problem.
Many TPS/throttle bodies have been replaced without fixing this problem.

Macka

Macka is correct. If the supply voltage is low (battery, reg/rec) etc., the consequent voltage to the TPS will also be low and the resulting voltage at the TPS will be lower than the ECM expects to see. The ECM just looks at the voltage at the TPS and if it is lower than a predetermined value, a fault code will be set even though the low voltage reading was caused by an electrical problem (low voltage) elsewhere in the circuit.

Mike

Macka is correct. If the supply voltage is low (battery, reg/rec) etc., the consequent voltage to the TPS will also be low and the resulting voltage at the TPS will be lower than the ECM expects to see. The ECM just looks at the voltage at the TPS and if it is lower than a predetermined value, a fault code will be set even though the low voltage reading was caused by an electrical problem (low voltage) elsewhere in the circuit.

Mike

I ended up with two conversations on different threads on this subject. I’ve decided to continue only on the “throttle position sensor TPS part number” thread.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom