Engine hesitating/stalling

My ignorance is showing... Where is the fuel filter on the NT? I've never found one.

My ignorance is showing... Where is the fuel filter on the NT? I've never found one.
It's part of the fuel pump and that is $222.95 retail. I am pretty sure it is just a mesh filter at the bottom of the in tank fuel pump.

Ugh. Guess I better not drop anything into the fuel tank that sinks.

Mustang, did you get your issue figured out? Mine is doing the same thing, I've had it to the dealer and they haven't found anything wrong. Spark plug caps have been replaced previously. Today on a ride it hesitated as I pulled out into traffic. So I really need to get this resolved soon.

Thanks,

Kevin

I bought the bike in May 2010, and I think it first starting happening in probably August of 2010, when I had 3-4,000 miles on it. Mostly I noticed it driving in town in 3rd gear at 30 mph, which is about 3,000RPM, or less. I had the spark plug caps replaced then. It seemed ok for a while after that, but it started doing it again. It has always been an intermittent problem, so I don't know if new spark plug caps had any effect at all. Sometimes it would stall at intersections. My symptoms seem exactly like what Mustang is experiencing, along with the "Engine hesitation" thread started by gazzzwp last September. In fact, I printed out that thread and gave it to my dealer when I took it in for service.

Today is the first time I remember it happening when taking off from a stop in 1st gear. This happened after we had been riding about 50 miles. I can't identify any consistency whether the engine is cold or hot, ambient air temps, etc. I've been using different brands of gas, and different fuel treatments and stabilizers.

My mechanic was going to talk to Honda about this, but I haven't heard anything back from him. I will try to follow up with him on Monday.

What is the meter panel doing when when you have this problem? Does it go blank/every thing read zero and act like the key was turned off then back on(meters go full scale and return)? An engine MIL?

Intermittent electrical problems are difficult to troubleshoot when the symtoms don't exist. Sometime its a good idea to disconnect and reconnect any connectors that have been used (during valve check) recently. Spark plug caps can be pulled off the plug and reseated, pull and re-install all fuses, cycle key switch on and off several times to exercise contacts. Consider unplugging the ECM and reconnecting it. And then wait and monitor.

If it's under warranty have Honda do the work.

Good Luck

Well, what was the final outcome? Last note from Mustang was that it would go in the shop a week ago.

First thank you all

We picked it up Saturday and drove it home, cautiously encouraged because I had no problems. Wife worked all weekend so we never got it out for a long ride but for 15 miles it was good. The dealer said they found no codes stored and all systems checked out. They did consult with honda several times and they did do a test ride and did experience the problem. In the end they reset the ECM and pronounced it good. They said the goldwing owners have similar issues. They did the stride it some 35 miles and had no problems after the ECM was reset. A computer reset is not a very encouraging report but what else can one do at this point.

I will keep you posted on what happens next, I may be able to get it out one night this week.

First thank you all

We picked it up Saturday and drove it home, cautiously encouraged because I had no problems. Wife worked all weekend so we never got it out for a long ride but for 15 miles it was good. The dealer said they found no codes stored and all systems checked out. They did consult with honda several times and they did do a test ride and did experience the problem. In the end they reset the ECM and pronounced it good. They said the goldwing owners have similar issues. They did the stride it some 35 miles and had no problems after the ECM was reset. A computer reset is not a very encouraging report but what else can one do at this point.

I will keep you posted on what happens next, I may be able to get it out one night this week.

Yikes:eek1: Do you suppose they run Windows in the ECM:beatdeadhorse:?

First thank you all

Hope the "reboot" turns out to be a good fix. Let us know how it turns out. Wonder how they reset the ECM?

I got so sick of Windows that I switched to LINUX--not as many whistles and bells, just good solid computing. Maybe Honda should stop using Windows as well.

I got so sick of Windows that I switched to LINUX--not as many whistles and bells, just good solid computing. Maybe Honda should stop using Windows as well.

Oooohhhh - can we hijack this thread into an anti-Microsoft rant?!? Please Dad, can we? Huh? Please?!? Plllleeeeeeeaassseee!

All

We took a 2 hour ride this past Sunday and the bike didn't miss a beat.

I guess resetting the ECM does something.

Thanks all

We took a 2 hour ride this past Sunday and the bike didn't miss a beat.
I guess resetting the ECM does something.
That is good news.

Do you know how Honda reset the ECM? It may be good information in case have a future relapse, you could reset it yourself. Did they simply disconnect the battery for set time & reconnect? ....or disconnect all the ECM connectors & reconnect? ...or is there a hidden/secret reset button?
If it was an intermittent connection on one of the ECM Connectors it would be quite likely that disconnecting & reconnecting can clean up the contacts and it would be permanent fix. Keep your fingers crossed. Good Luck.

That is good news.

Do you know how Honda reset the ECM? It may be good information in case have a future relapse, you could reset it yourself. Did they simply disconnect the battery for set time & reconnect? ....or disconnect all the ECM connectors & reconnect? ...or is there a hidden/secret reset button?
If it was an intermittent connection on one of the ECM Connectors it would be quite likely that disconnecting & reconnecting can clean up the contacts and it would be permanent fix. Keep your fingers crossed. Good Luck.

My mechanic told me to disconnect the battery overnight. I am trying it tonight. I'll see tomorrow if it makes difference on my NT.

Kevin

My attempt to reset the ECM by disconnecting the battery overnight made no difference whatsoever. I made it to the end of my driveway before it started hesitating again. Back to the dealer tomorrow to see what the next step might be. This is getting pretty disappointing.

Kevin

My attempt to reset the ECM by disconnecting the battery overnight made no difference whatsoever. I made it to the end of my driveway before it started hesitating again. Back to the dealer tomorrow to see what the next step might be. This is getting pretty disappointing.

Kevin

That is a PITA. You're not getting any instrument indications or MIL when it happens? It sounds like fuel isn't the issue. So I'd guess it must be electical, either fuel injectors aren't getting correct signals, or spark plugs aren't getting ....spark. And I believe either one of those problems (injectors or plugs) could be caused by a sensors intermittent contact, usually in a connector or the senser itself. If it was me, with no warranty, I'd disconnect, inspect & reconnect every conntector I could find, and go from there.

It's difficult enough to troubleshoot intermittent electrical problems, but when they happen only at speed it's more difficult to determine what it is. I've had voltmeters hanging off of test points, temporary gas tanks (gatorade bottles) connected trying to better see what is going wrong on old Motorcycles.

Good Luck.

Thank you Dan. I recall the engine light came on a couple times last season, but as soon as I'd shut it off the engine and restart it, it would turn off. I don't have the time or expertise to start troubleshooting electrical problems, so it's going into the shop on Monday for diagnostics. The mechanic is guessing it could be a throttle body positioning sensor (? I think). It seems to be getting worse, so I'm hopeful they will be able to identify the problem and fix it quickly. I'll share whatever information I get.

Kevin

Back
Top Bottom