Engineer needed

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Once again I forgot to search out new skis for my snow blower so I put in some spacers to put the old skis down farther. Skis are needed for gravel driveways that arent frozen and are 100 yards long. I think I need to find a place with some sheet aluminum scrap 3 in by 10 in and .1- .2 in thick or so.
ski.jpg

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
A company called Aircraft Spruce sells alum, usually available by the foot, and other materials plus they deliver. They have warehouses in GA and CA. I've bought "stuff" from them many times and was always happy with their service. Around here metal scrap yards have mostly disappeared.

Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Check with welding shops in your area, they usually have a variety of scrap material for repairs. Will aluminum be stiff enough? I would think that steel would be a better choice plus likely more available.

Mike

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I agree with Mike (as scary as that is). Steel is a much better material for the application. Cheaper, stronger, and more readily available. Most metal fabrication shops allow you to go dumpster diving in their scrap bins. If you can’t find what you need they will usually cut it from their stock. But what you need can usually be found in the handyman steel rack in a good hardware store (at 5X the going rate).

And, yes, salvage yards have changed big time. They have BIG chippers capable of handling whole cars. They dump the scrap in the chipper (or series of chippers) and ship out product on rail cars.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
JJ - I've found the metal rack at Big Box stores rarely have anything in steel wider than 2" or thicker than 1/4." The do have sheet steel in various sizes but way too thin for
CC's snowblower application.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Chris, they look pretty simple. I have 1/4”X 4” and some 10ga or 1/8” on hand. Is the width critical? Are the mounting bolts welded on? Send me a drawing with dimensions and I may be able to make them for you.
But remember - yous gets what yous pays for and I work cheap :rofl1:

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
A company called Aircraft Spruce sells alum, usually available by the foot, and other materials plus they deliver. They have warehouses in GA and CA. I've bought "stuff" from them many times and was always happy with their service. Around here metal scrap yards have mostly disappeared.
I have heard of them...wonder if they sell small lots.....
I agree with Mike (as scary as that is). Steel is a much better material for the application. Cheaper, stronger, and more readily available. Most metal fabrication shops allow you to go dumpster diving in their scrap bins. If you can’t find what you need they will usually cut it from their stock. But what you need can usually be found in the handyman steel rack in a good hardware store (at 5X the going rate).

And, yes, salvage yards have changed big time. They have BIG chippers capable of handling whole cars. They dump the scrap in the chipper (or series of chippers) and ship out product on rail cars.
Actually, there may be a metal shop over in idaho....

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Chris, they look pretty simple. I have 1/4”X 4” and some 10ga or 1/8” on hand. Is the width critical? Are the mounting bolts welded on? Send me a drawing with dimensions and I may be able to make them for you.
But remember - yous gets what yous pays for and I work cheap :rofl1:
Actually, width isnt critical . 2.5 in to 3.5 in. Call it 3 inches wide. I would custom drill the bolt holes...roughly 5 in apart. The steel on there now is .060 thick, which made the upward curves easy to bend but not durable.
The skis are about 7 1/2 inches long and 2.5 inches high but none of that is critical. In fact, any two pieces of steel I can drill that are in their flat state 3 in by 10 in I can put in a vise and beat the up curves into them...maybe .125 of an inch would be ideal. Nothing but rain this week.....washed all the snow away.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Coyote Chris - Aircraft Spruce sells many of their materials "by the foot" and I've bought a foot of certain alum supplies, such as large OD round stock for lathe projects. You should go to their website and cruise around.

In your application there really isn't a valid reason to use aluminum so I agree with Jungle Jim on using steel. It's cheaper, more durable, and much easier to work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Coyote Chris - Aircraft Spruce sells many of their materials "by the foot" and I've bought a foot of certain alum supplies, such as large OD round stock for lathe projects. You should go to their website and cruise around.

In your application there really isn't a valid reason to use aluminum so I agree with Jungle Jim on using steel. It's cheaper, more durable, and much easier to work.
Looked there and on Ebay. I am thinking I ask my neighbor the welder as a scrap bin somewhere has to be cheeper.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
I'd go for strong wheels made of Nylon/Polyamid...

The steering rollers of a pallet truck can handle up to 1400kg/3000lbs...

Last edited:

Randall-in-Mpls

New Deauville owner!
Bike
2010 NT700V, 1978 CX500
Skids would be smoother over gravel.
I agree, steel is the better option. Plus, you can weld on braces if they're not stiff enough.
If you bolt through the plate, doesn't the head get ground away, eventually? Carriage bolts might work, but you'd need to file the holes square, and the heads would still stand proud of the surface.
Better to drill and tap the plates, screw in some threaded rod, with a little space at the end, and plug weld on the bottom. A little finish grinding, and you've got a smooth, contiguous surface.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
That’s what I’d do. I offered to make them if Chris would send me a drawing with dimensions. I guess he wants to do it himself.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
That’s what I’d do. I offered to make them if Chris would send me a drawing with dimensions. I guess he wants to do it himself.
What more do you need? 1/8 in steal 3 in wide 12 in long. I will drill and bend them! I tested my modified skids improved with spacers and they worked but still not durable enough at .060 in.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Skids would be smoother over gravel.
I agree, steel is the better option. Plus, you can weld on braces if they're not stiff enough.
If you bolt through the plate, doesn't the head get ground away, eventually? Carriage bolts might work, but you'd need to file the holes square, and the heads would still stand proud of the surface.
Better to drill and tap the plates, screw in some threaded rod, with a little space at the end, and plug weld on the bottom. A little finish grinding, and you've got a smooth, contiguous surface.
Smoothness isnt the issue. The factory skids are made for pavement and dig into the gravel so that the scoop picks up the gravel and throws it. The skiis make the skids glide over the top of the gravel and they dont sink in. Once or if the gravel is frozen, its less of an issue but that is rare anymore. Its hard to believe I am the only one with this problem. Maybe I am the only one with a 100 yard long driveway who doesnt use a plow...I dont know.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Hell, if I had your money, I'd hire somebody to plow my driveway...... I'm just sayin'......

;)

Mike

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Smoothness isnt the issue. The factory skids are made for pavement and dig into the gravel so that the scoop picks up the gravel and throws it. The skiis make the skids glide over the top of the gravel and they dont sink in. Once or if the gravel is frozen, its less of an issue but that is rare anymore. Its hard to believe I am the only one with this problem. Maybe I am the only one with a 100 yard long driveway who doesnt use a plow...I dont know.
I use a plow and I can tell you that skid shoes do NOT prevent a plow from skimming gravel off with the snow. A 700# plow pushes the skid shoes down into the gravel. It’s best to “carry” the plow an inch or two off the driveway until the ground freezes. Then I take the skid shoes off for the rest of the winter.

My best practice is to just stay home after a snow fall. Too many drivers don’t have good winter driving skills. Especially young drivers with four wheel drive/all wheel drive/traction control/ABS/ etc lack winter driving skills. I learned my driving skills in a ‘53 Chevy with bald tires, bad shocks, and loose steering. I quickly learned about skid prevention and recovery. I’m amazed at how many people set their cruise control when driving on slippery roads and then wonder how they got into the ditch.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I use a plow and I can tell you that skid shoes do NOT prevent a plow from skimming gravel off with the snow. A 700# plow pushes the skid shoes down into the gravel. It’s best to “carry” the plow an inch or two off the driveway until the ground freezes. Then I take the skid shoes off for the rest of the winter.

My best practice is to just stay home after a snow fall. Too many drivers don’t have good winter driving skills. Especially young drivers with four wheel drive/all wheel drive/traction control/ABS/ etc lack winter driving skills. I learned my driving skills in a ‘53 Chevy with bald tires, bad shocks, and loose steering. I quickly learned about skid prevention and recovery. I’m amazed at how many people set their cruise control when driving on slippery roads and then wonder how they got into the ditch.
We had a wreck the other day when someone thought using cruise control on glare ice was a good idea.....If I have to drive in snow, I leave lots of following distance and watch the rear view mirror like a hawk for tail gaiters...and see if people slow down when there are lights, etc ahead. But if you can, avoidence is best. 67 wrecks the last storm.

Randall-in-Mpls

New Deauville owner!
Bike
2010 NT700V, 1978 CX500
Smoothness isnt the issue. The factory skids are made for pavement and dig into the gravel so that the scoop picks up the gravel and throws it.
I was responding to ST1100Y's suggestion of using wheels. Skis/skids would be better on a loose surface.

Top Bottom