For those who have done the saddle sore

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Please don't tell me to refer to the IBA website.
If you know the anwer, help me.
Can I use my spouse as a witness for both departure and arrival on the SS1000 ????

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Yessir. You can.

In the guidelines it says:

"STEP TWO: Get a start witness
In order to document your ride, the Iron Butt Association requires that
obtain an eyewitness to document the start of your ride. Witnesses for the basic
SaddleSore 1000 and Bun Burner 1500 may be a friend (but not one on the ride
with you), spouse or even gas station attendant willing to answer a letter from
the IBA about your start or end time.
If a passenger is on the ride with you,
please ask your witnesses to sign the form for them also."

The spouse can also be a Finish witness. I used Joanne for my 2nd SS1K. When I did my first one, I had a local police officer who rides a Harley who was so amazed at what I was doing that he wanted to be both the start and finish witness. So, I woke him at 3:30AM before the start and at 1:45AM after the finish. For some strange reason, he thought it was worth it.

When I used Joanne, I did not wake her up. I let her sign before I left and before she went to bed and then had her sign the finish after she was up and awake. The start and finish gas receipts give you the start and finish times. I don't guess it would be too great an idea to have four or five days in between the signing of the start/finish witness forms and the times on the receipts. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
Thanks Phil

I don't need to do the ride, but something in me just wants to. It's going to happen soon

Bike
Silver NT700V
You will enjoy it. My son was my start and end witness. He actually came to the start at 6:30 AM and to the finish, with his girl friend, at 1:00 AM.

Keep your route simple, using major roads. I recommend the Interstate as much as possible. Scenic routes are fun but eat up a LOT of time. One of the worst fails I ever read about seemed rooted in an excessively complicated scenic route. Also, route changes must be documented and stops add time.

Good luck,

Chuck

Bike
Silver NT700V
Well said, Jerome. Google Maps worked well for planning. When I finished mine, there was only a four mile difference between the map distance and my odometer. I went west in the AM and returned at night. I rode the most familiar parts in the early AM and at the end. You are right, travel horizons are now virtually unlimited.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
+ 1 to the expanded horizons! Nearly anywhere in the country is only three days away from anywhere else -- without riding 1000 mile days. Sure changes what you think you can do with a two week vacation.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
A little helping time saver suggestion. Number your gas reciets as you get them and put your odometer milage on the gas reciet, put into secure bag that is attached some place where you WON'T lose it. Have a small note book to makenote of any stop time breaks, eat, rest, ETC that are not fuel stops, Once you complete the ride you will be able to complete your trip sheet after you are rested and relaxed off the clock.

REPEAT DON'T lose your reciets / paperwork!!

Eldon

Last edited:

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
What is the record for the shortest amount of time to ride 1000 miles on public highways? Texas now has some highways that are labled at 80 mph, IIRC.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Chris, Texas has a toll road that goes from north of Georgetown to San Antonio that's posted at 85mph.

As far as shortest time to do 1000 miles, I don't have any idea. My guess is that it was probably done in Nevada or Montana (before Montana had daytime speed limits). There's one guy who did 10 consecutive 1500 mile days on a Honda Blackbird (the CBR1100XX). He had a pit crew who serviced the bike at the end of each day while he slept. I'm sure that ride was done entirely in Nevada.

There have been at least two Ultimate-Coast-to-Coast Rides (Prudhoe Bay to Key West) ridden in under 100 hours and one of those was way under 100 hours.

The Saddle Sore 1000 only takes a 41.66mph average speed. On the two of those I've certified, I spent lots of time stopped. On my Connie when I did the first one, I was in fog from Big Spring, NE, to 60 miles north of North Platte. We spent about 45 minutes stopped in North Platte hoping it would burn off. Then we stopped for two hours during a torrential thunderstorm at Sturgis, for another 45 minutes at a Dairy Queen in Gillette, WY, trying to rehydrate ourselves after riding about 100 miles in 106F temps. When we got Cheyenne on the way back, it was night and another torrential thunderstorm hit and we sat for another hour or more and got home in 19 hours and 10 or 15 minutes.

On the BB1.5K (36 hours with another 42.66 mph average required) we stopped for an hour in Trinidad to warm up after riding 250 miles in temps of 24F (without any electric gear). We stopped for over an hour in Amarillo, an hour in OKC, slept for 2 1/2 hours in Hutchinson, KS, stopped for over an hour in Plainville, KS (again after riding for about four hours in temps of around 20F), then for 45 minutes in Holdredge, NE, and 45 minutes in Wray, CO. We cut that one pretty close, taking 35 hours and 10 minutes.

On my NT SS, I stopped for 30 minutes at Flagler, CO, 45 minutes at Springfield, CO, an hour at Dodge City, 20 minutes in McPherson, KS, 20 minutes in Salina, an hour in Hays, KS, and 30 minutes in Limon and got home in 20 hours 50 minutes.

On my BBG attempt, I blew it early and late. I had blown it before I even left by being rushed in preparation. I'd had three funerals the week before I left and had some kind of maintenance I had to get done before leaving. I don't even remember what it was, but I had the mid-fairing and the front fairing off and on the day before I left, I could not get them back on. I finally called a mechanic friend and he came over and we got it done by 10:30. I was planning on a 4PM departure and had wanted to be well rested before leaving. Guess how much sleep I got on Monday might! Then as I was finishing packing the bike, I discovered that I had a flat rear tire. I spent an hour or so plugging that and then I programmed my GPS.

The BBG takes a 62.5 mph average speed and that doesn't leave time for messing around. I hit two construction zones in the first 80 miles and was 45 minutes behind the pace when I got to Limon. I wasn't smart enough to simply reset the clock and begin the BBG again in Limon. It would have been easy to do. I made a mistake in Kansas when I passed a gas stop at Colby and then was afraid I was going to run out of gas before WaKeeney. There was a gas station in a little-bitty town but I didn't know if it would still be open at 8:30, so I slowed down to about 50 to guarantee I could make it to the next one, 12 miles farther east. Turns out the little one was pay-at-the-pump (but the receipt writer was broken. I "documented" the stop with pictures and since it wasn't a corner, don't think the IBA would have given me any trouble about it. I also think I would have made it to the 2nd station without slowing down, but I might have been on my last tenth of a gallon.

Things went well for me till I got to Des Moines. I was on pace, but with no margin for error. When I left Des Moines, the GPS started telling me to turn to the west at every semi-major intersection. I couldn't figure that out because my next corner was Albert Lea, MN, due north of Des Moines on I-35. It finally struck me that I hadn't entered Albert Lea into the GPS.

Frack!

So I had the GPS calculate the quickest route to Spearfish. It turned me onto US-20 heading for Sioux City. But. There was construction which was turning 20 into a 4-lane highway. The construction dumped me out into the middle of nowhere 10 miles north of 20 on an old county road. Then there was construction all the way through Sioux City. By the time I got to Mitchell, SD, I had something like four hours to do 250 miles and I was going to have to go to at least Sundance, WY, and back to Spearfish to get the 1500 miles. I was going to need a minimum of three gas stops and one of them was going to require filling up. The other two would mark the corner at Sundance and stop the clock in Spearfish. The GPS was telling me that it was going to take me four hours and 20 minutes without any stops.

So I bagged that attempt and learned some lessons for the next one. I think I ended up doing about 1320 miles in the 24 hours.

silverdevil

I have done several SS1's but only turned in the paper work for 1 of them so that I do have a record at IBA. typical time for the SS was around 17 hours.
my best one was the "Border to Border Insanity", there was 2 of us and one was cop, which came in handy once. we started at the international bridge between Nuevo Laredo and Laredo and ended in Emerson, Manitoba, Canada. we did interstate the whole way.
the time was 4 minutes under 24 hours and the distance was 1,728 miles for an average of 72 MPH.
would I ever do it again, hell no, but the good thing is that it is on record thru the IBA
I rode a FJR1300 and my buddy rode a GS1150. I was 66 years old, that is another reason I won't do that again.
the "Border to Border" is under 36 hours and the "Border to Border Insanity" is under 24 hours.
of course this also gave me a "BBG" except I never turned in the paper work so it is not on record as a "BBG".

I could easily get 250 miles on a tank and so could the GS, so we would stop between 200 and 250 for gas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
REPEAT DON'T lose your reciets / paperwork!!
Eldon, that is just common sense. Unfortunately, what we call "common sense" just is not as common as it used to be.

I am planning my (first?) BB1000/SS1500 for when I get back home next year. Basic route is Denton, Odessa, Amarillo (all TX), Oklahoma City, and back to Denton. Overnight at home, then next day, the short leg is Denton, TX to and from Hope, AR. The route is mostly interstate. Distance looks to be about 1060/ 1520 miles. Spouse will certify start-stop-stop times.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
the time was 4 minutes under 24 hours and the distance was 1,728 miles for an average of 72 MPH.
How far between gas stops did you average, silverdevil? One of my issues the last 450 miles or so was the wind, which picked up to about 30-40mph straight out of the south. Running 80-ish on I-90, was only getting about 40mpg and was having to stop every 180 miles or so. Even a quick gas stop of 5 minutes was cutting into my average. Counting the time slowing down, getting off the interstate, and then the time getting back on and getting back up to speed, I'll bet a five minute stop cost at least 9-10 minutes. I think it's going to be tough to do a BBG on an NT.

John, you'll be doing a SS1000 and a BB1500. And it's amazing how many people attempt IBA rides and end missing a crucial receipt. You might be smart to let your credit card company know what you're going to be doing. On my BBG attempt, I had to go into one gas station east of Sioux City and show my ID because American Express thought they were seeing an unusual pattern of purchases on my card. That's the only time I've run into that, but others have reported it, too.

Last edited:

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
You might be smart to let your credit card company know what you're going to be doing. On my BBG attempt, I had to go into one gas station east of Sioux City and show my ID because American Express thought they were seeing an unusual pattern of purchases on my card. That's the only time I've run into that, but others have reported it, too.
Shell shut down my gas credit card under similar circumstances a couple of years ago. I was moving too fast for what used to be called the "Superman" software algorithm used to detect potential fraud..:D I'd call and let any credit card company, whose card you will be regularly using, know my plans....

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
your riding destination targets will increase
One of the reasons I am planning the ride is to see what I can handle, and gauge my stamina. My ride to Spearfish right now, is bookended with two 500 mile days front and back. Or one 800+ mile day out and one 1100 mile trip home.
The SS1000 will give me a little insight into how to plan my outward and homeward legs of the Spearfish ride.
So this is as much about research as it is about curiosity
If I cant wait for milder weather, I will do a loop of south and west texas Dallas/San Antonio/Odessa/Monahans/Dallas
If I can wait, I may do Dallas/Memphis/ Jackson, MS/Shreveport/Dallas

My psyche is not suited for out and back trips. Mentally, riding a great distance, only to have to turn around and repeat it, to me is demoralizing.
My mindset is better suited to loops

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
My psyche is not suited for out and back trips. Mentally, riding a great distance, only to have to turn around and repeat it, to me is demoralizing.
My mindset is better suited to loops
LOL! I really understand that, Clay. I'm the same way. Although I will admit that seeing things from the opposite direction changes your perspective. Still, I've always looped my lng rides. I don't think I've ever done a straight out and back when I had time to do anything different.

Bike
Eldon, that is just common sense. Unfortunately, what we call "common sense" just is not as common as it used to be.

I am planning my (first?) BB1000/SS1500 for when I get back home next year. Basic route is Denton, Odessa, Amarillo (all TX), Oklahoma City, and back to Denton. Overnight at home, then next day, the short leg is Denton, TX to and from Hope, AR. The route is mostly interstate. Distance looks to be about 1060/ 1520 miles. Spouse will certify start-stop-stop times.
John C, If you have followed the IBA functions rides, stories etc over the past ten / 12 years as I have you would be aware of secvveral differnt people who HAVE lost their reciets, or bonus packs and it cost them dearly at the check in or the scoring table . Have you read and re-read Ron Ayres Against The Clock, And against The Wind?

ELdon
SSIK combined with SS1500
BBG completed at Denver IBA National Meet, 9 August 2010 at age of 72, DOB 1938
IBA 8147

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
Phil, I didn't consider problems with my credit card. Thanks. Although they have been pretty good. My usual spending pattern is about $300 dollars a month except for my semi-annual vacations back to the U.S. Those months generate a huge bulge in spending patterns. I can see where one of these long haul rides would generate credit card problems.

I plan to run Route 66 (Chicago to Santa Monica) as a warmup for the Four Corners run.

Eldon, I have not read either of the Ayres books. But I am aware that, in a perceived time crunch, you can lose or misplace things. The way around that is to train to do the same thing time. And there is nothing "perceived" about 49 states in 7 days.

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
Phil, I didn't consider problems with my credit card. Thanks. Although they have been pretty good. My usual spending pattern is about $300 dollars a month except for my semi-annual vacations back to the U.S. Those months generate a huge bulge in spending patterns. I can see where one of these long haul rides would generate credit card problems.

I plan to run Route 66 (Chicago to Santa Monica) as a warmup for the Four Corners run.

Eldon, I have not read either of the Ayres books. But I am aware that, in a perceived time crunch, you can lose or misplace things. The way around that is to train to do the same thing every time. And there is nothing "perceived" about 49 states in 7 days.

Last edited:
Bike
Silver NT700V
On my card the issue was not volume but the string of small, compared to a car, gas purchases. A call to the card company can prevent issues, especially if your route crosses multiple states.

Bike
John you are very correcct on getting a habit, or procedure and oncen you find tht it works don't change it.

One other thing I do if on a serious ride, I have a waterproof zippered closure bagabout a 4 X 6 in size, I have it on a tether strap that is secured with - in my tank bag, that is where the fuel reciets ETC documen get putIf I were not running a tnk bag it would be secured to my Jacket.

eldon

Top Bottom