Fork Seals and 300 Bucks

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
PS anybody know what size, which kind etc. I need to get. Performance Cycle did not have any the right size and I could not tell them for ordering purposes
Not sure of size, but Triumph Part Number A9638018 fits. Triumph Scrambler P/N T2040349. They fit many Triumph models.
Also a Kawasaki W650 part number 49006-1335 should fit.

If they have a gaitor that fits a Kawasaki W650 or Triumph Scrambler or Triumph Bonneville, should fit the NT.

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Not sure of size, but Triumph Part Number A9638018 fits. Triumph Scrambler P/N T2040349. They fit many Triumph models.
Also a Kawasaki W650 part number 49006-1335 should fit.

If they have a gaitor that fits a Kawasaki W650 or Triumph Scrambler or Triumph Bonneville, should fit the NT.
Thanks I will check them out.

bodgerbloke52

A south Seattle BMW dealer quoted me $300 labour to change the fork seals on my BMW R80RT plus $32 for the seals.
I bought seals for $3.50 each from Brown bearings then fitted them myself in 65 minutes. They are charging Lawyers rates for labour it would seem.

Roger

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
A south Seattle BMW dealer quoted me $300 labour to change the fork seals on my BMW R80RT plus $32 for the seals.
I bought seals for $3.50 each from Brown bearings then fitted them myself in 65 minutes. They are charging Lawyers rates for labour it would seem.

Roger
Does BMW ring a bell?:)

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Fork seals SHOULD be covered by normal and extended warranties.

I had a split CV boot on my Honda CRV and I was advised by the dealer service advisor is was not covered under warranty. When I queried this they called Honda Australia who advised that it was indeed covered under both normal and my extended warranty.

It always pays to ask for clarification. Honda has one of the BEST and most comprehensive warranty coverages I have ever seen

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Today I got up, had some coffee and went out into the garage to turn on the electric wall heaters, so I could continue with the Fork rebuild on my ST700. Opps..... can't do anything with the forks as I am waiting for new bushings. Well I decided that I would replace my Harbor freight knock off of the Nautilus/Steibel horn, with Harbor freight knock off of the Fiamm Freeway Blasters. So I went to work. Only had to pull the pockets and the dash face panel. The reason I am making the switch is that the compressor does not build up fast enough to get an instantaneous blast when I need to wake up a brain dead cager. I have the dual electric horns on the Wee and am very happy with them. I removed the air horn and replaced with the two dual electric horns. I also left the relay intact. I made a wire harness to connect the two horns on either side of the bike. Lots better and louder sounding horns. Here are some pictures. First pic, old horn. Second pic, new horns. Third & Forth pic, horns installed in bike.

Attachments

Last edited:

skiper

THANKS CHAPS .. and - does anyone think riding in below freezing conditions could cause ice ridges to form and tear up fork seals ?

YKnot

Today I got up, had some coffee and went out into the garage to turn on the electric wall heaters, so I could continue with the Fork rebuild on my ST700. Opps..... can't do anything with the forks as I am waiting for new bushings. Well I decided that I would replace my Harbor freight knock off of the Nautilus/Steibel horn, with Harbor freight knock off of the Fiamm Freeway Blasters. So I went to work. Only had to pull the pockets and the dash face panel. The reason I am making the switch is that the compressor does not build up fast enough to get an instantaneous blast when I need to wake up a brain dead cager. I have the dual electric horns on the Wee and am very happy with them. I removed the air horn and replaced with the two dual electric horns. I also left the relay intact. I made a wire harness to connect the two horns on either side of the bike. Lots better and louder sounding horns. Here are some pictures. First pic, old horn. Second pic, new horns. Third & Forth pic, horns installed in bike.

I am really interested in those horns... Let me know what you think, please. January is going to be upgrade month for my NT. The top box is going to get auxiliary running lights, brake lights with turn signals, interior lighting, and possibly a charging outlet. The new panniers are going to get interior lighting, reinforced latches, auxiliary release, and maybe auxiliary running lights. The front right compartment is going to get a dual USB outlet for charging phones and other accessories. Finally, or perhaps first, an accessory fuse box needs to go in... So, new horns could be on the list.
:)

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I am really interested in those horns... Let me know what you think, please. January is going to be upgrade month for my NT. The top box is going to get auxiliary running lights, brake lights with turn signals, interior lighting, and possibly a charging outlet. The new panniers are going to get interior lighting, reinforced latches, auxiliary release, and maybe auxiliary running lights. The front right compartment is going to get a dual USB outlet for charging phones and other accessories. Finally, or perhaps first, an accessory fuse box needs to go in... So, new horns could be on the list.
:)
I have the real Fiamm Highway Blasters on my ST1300, Been on there for about 10 years now. Only had to change the relay a couple of times as the first ones were not waterproof. Horns have work great all these years. I have the harbor freight knock offs (10 bucks) on my Wee now for about a year and have had no problems as of yet. But for ten bucks, if they last 5 years, I got my moneys worth. Just put the same on the ST700. Will see how they work out. all of the said horn work good and are equally loud, especially in the garage.

YKnot

...equally loud, especially in the garage.
I have a 1 car garage with a Scion tC and my NT in there... I think any of those horns would probably wake my 2 year old and my wife in our humble 1100 square foot home - to say nothing of my neighbors. :)

kenstone

I like the Fiamm duel tones too, sounds like a '60's Buick:smile:
Not a lot of places to mount them on my Suzuki S50 though, it's kind of a factory bobber minus the black paint and wrapped pipes:redface:
It has a fake aircleaner that's really a place for the tool kit, so I put the horns in there.
I jump when I use it because vibrates against my knee.

I had to trim the trumpets to fit them in and the relay is in that piece of bicycle inner tube :p

skiper

Very interesting.. i was remembering some of my Rocky Mountain Experiences and how elevation changes and the resulting "weather" phenomenon can be quite surprizing . Water can do strange things. Sand and oil were more obvious to "me" and they might wear things on a small scale vs water / frozen gobs might tear larger chunks of rubber - who knows, but interesting . good thread , + on the shouts to ya..

YKnot

That is a pretty clean looking setup!!!

I like the Fiamm duel tones too, sounds like a '60's Buick:smile:
Not a lot of places to mount them on my Suzuki S50 though, it's kind of a factory bobber minus the black paint and wrapped pipes:redface:
It has a fake aircleaner that's really a place for the tool kit, so I put the horns in there.
I jump when I use it because vibrates against my knee.

I had to trim the trumpets to fit them in and the relay is in that piece of bicycle inner tube :p

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Got my ST700 Fork parts on Tuesday late, but could not get around to install them until today. Wednesday the wife and I had a financial planning meeting to go to down town Denver. Yesterday I had to go to court. So today was the day. All went well with the fork rebuild and re-installation until
I had a brain fart and opened the garage door. :redface: Just cost me 180 bucks for opening the door. Broke my after market MRA Vario Windshield. :mad: Ordered a new one, but it has to come from Germany. Six week wait time via Twisted Throttle. Lesson learned. Pay more attention to the Garage door height when bike on the lift. So I rummaged around in the crawl space and retrieve the OEM shield. Guess the ST700 will sport the OEM shield again for a while. Bike is all back together and will take it on a test ride to the German Bakery in the Springs tomorrow.:smile: Suppose to be near 60 tomorrow. Gotta love winter time in Colorado :wink:

Next project is the New rear shock for the ST1300

Attachments

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
So today I took the little ST700 out for the test ride after finishing the fork seals yesterday. Did a 160 mile loop and it looks like no more leaks. All is good, nothing fell off the bike on todays ride. Take a look at "my spot" Looped south to Colorado Springs then east to Elbert and on north back to Kiowa and on back to Aurora.

Edit: Also stopped off at Apex Motorsports to drink their coffee and visit with the locals that hang out there.

Attachments

Top Bottom