Fuel Pump?! Bike will not start.

mrfallover

OK, here I go.
I just picked up a non running 2010 NT700V with 15K. It turns over nicely but will not fire. I think it is the fuel pump. Can someone tell me how loud the fuel pump sounds when you cycle the ignition. This one is very very quiet. And yes I do have fuel in the tank.
Thanking all in advanced.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Here is someones video with pretty good audio of a fuel pump priming. It's not a quiet fuel pump. You can also feel the fuel pump start if you put your bare hand on the tank.

[video=youtube;Er0e1wgCSZg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er0e1wgCSZg[/video]

OP
OP

mrfallover

Yup, looks ....sounds like it is the fuel pump. Off with the plastics.

Here is someones video with pretty good audio of a fuel pump priming. It's not a quiet fuel pump. You can also feel the fuel pump start if you put your bare hand on the tank.

tawilke46

May be someone had the tank off for some reason. Make sure to check all connections under the tank and under the air box.
Could be something as simple as a connector needing reconnecting......

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...Could be something as simple as a connector needing reconnecting.....]

I hope that's the problem because the fuel pump is pricey. We've had very few, if any, NT700V riders post about fuel pump failure which leads me to believe it's something else.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I agree with the above posts. I'd look for an electrical boo-boo ahead of the fuel pump.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
I agree on the fuel pump being reliable and wouldn't be on my list of usual suspects.

mrfallover, does your NT have any MIL's that stay on after the ignition switch is on for a few seconds? If so, that would be the place to start looking. If Crank Position, Cam Position, or Fuel Injector faults are present the ECM will prevent the fuel pump from starting.
There are several fuses that if blown would prevent the fuel pump from starting. Check those if not already done.
And the often forgotten Bank Angle Sensor.

Post your results and let us know if you need some help.

OP
OP

mrfallover

Does anyone know which fuse is for the fuel pump? Is it the FI?

OP
OP

mrfallover

The only light that stays on after cranking is the neutral light, no error codes no MILs.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
How did you observe the error codes? It doesn't just happen by having the key ON. There is a procedure on this website that provides the details plus you'll need a short jumper wire.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Does anyone know which fuse is for the fuel pump? Is it the FI?
Yes, the 20A FI fuse powers the Fuel Pump Relay and the Fuel Pump.
Also the 10A Starter/Ignition fuse powers the FI/Ignition Relay, which has a contact that is needed to power the Fuel Pump Relay and the Fuel Pump.
Just check all fuses.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
I will take a wild guess and say it is the crank position sensor. This is not an uncommon fault and will leave a MIL error code.

Check for MIL codes before going too far and you may just save yourself a lot of time and money.

Seagrass

[video=youtube;Er0e1wgCSZg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er0e1wgCSZg[/video]
That's my video of my crank case position sensor error code.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Ok, cranks but no start and no MIL. The first thing to do is to check if you have spark. Pull a plug, leave the lead connected and ground the plug against the engine while you crank. You should have a good, healthy blue spark from the electrodes. If not, then I would look to the cranks sensor first. If you do have a good spark, then the likely problem is fueling. You can check for this by removing the air cleaner and squirting a small amount of starting fluid down the intake and see if the engine tries to fire. If it does, then you need to track down the reason for the lack of fuel.

Good Luck!

Mike

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Just because it is easy to do and it may help, crank the starter for a full 10+ seconds to see if a MIL comes on.

If you have never seen the NT run, check the MIL codes that may be stored in the ECM. This may give you a hint as to why the fuel pump is not starting today. Here is how to check for any stored MIL codes.

If you don't find any old MIL codes, then it is time to either 1)take it to a Honda service shop or 2)get your hands on a service manual for the NT and take off some plastic.

Your problem could be a simple as a fuel pump connector not connected, or as bad as the ECM failed. Also, I would not dismiss it being a CKP (crank position sensor) causing the ECM to not allow the fuel pump to start, but somehow not giving a MIL for the CKP. That's why it would be a good idea to check for any MIL codes stored in the ECM.

Simplified Fuel Pump circuit.
Fuel Pump.GIF

Last edited:
Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
In your video it sounds like the fuel pump is priming to me (first few seconds of wirring noise).

As already said if you crank for longer (more than 10 seconds from memory) if it is a crank position sensor a MIL will be stored.

Use the above MIL check procedure and check for any codes and also try some aero start to eliminate fuel issues.

Seagrass

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
I could not hear the fuel pump prime when the ignition was turned on, perhaps I just missed it though!
If it is a dead CKP Sensor (Crank Angle) it definitely should log a code 19, although it is very rare for them to play up when cold.
99% of the time they only give trouble when very hot and it is unlikely that it has failed at such low mileage.
Even if it was unplugged or had a bad connection it should still log a code 19.
For something easy to try: give it full or near full throttle whilst cranking and see what happens.
If it starts or tries to start it is overfuelling. This happened to mine when the MAP sensor failed. Perhaps the vacuum hose to the sensor is off!
This would cause it to go FULL RICH but WILL NOT log a fault code as full rich is a "normal" condition.
Mine would only start and run if I held the throttle open.
When I let the throttle go it would stall immediately and not restart unless I held the throttle open again.
I had NO fault codes!

Macka

Top Bottom