Fuel Pump?! Bike will not start.

OP
OP

mrfallover

More info, it has been sitting for 1 and 1/2 half years.

I am going to call one of the mechanics at the Honda shop today and see what he says.

All you folks are great thank you for your help.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
If it still has the same fuel in the tank, that may be the reason it won't start. Modern fuels go bad in a very short time so I'd first drain the tank then refill with fresh go-juice. .

Last edited:
Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
My hearing is not that good but I don't hear the pump running when the key goes to ON.
I would probably verify the pump is pumping. I think the service manual has a volume test.
Unplug the discharge hose, set up a temp test hose, key on and see what the pump will do.

Brad

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
My hearing is not that good but I don't hear the pump running when the key goes to ON.
Brad
Put a bare hand on the side of the tank and you should be able to feel the pump start and when the system is pressed up. Or for the more adventurous, open the gas cap and put your ear next to the gas cap hole to get a louder pump priming sound. Cigarettes optional.

OP
OP

mrfallover

I spoke my mechanic friend yesterday (at the Honda shop). He said start by emptying the old fuel, checking for spark. If all of that is OK, then it might be time to remove the fuel pump and verify that it is working correctly.

I think it is the pump, just to damned quiet.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
The fuel pump is fed by a black 3-pole connector. You should get battery voltage to that connector when you switch the key on. If there is voltage there and pump doesn't run - replace the pump.
If there is no voltage there check the 20 amp FI fuse, fuel pump relay, FI/ignition relay, engine stop switch, bank angle sensor, and ECM.

Top Bottom