Full face or modular

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Clint,
You will get a variety of responses on that one. I like modulars because I wear glasses and that makes them easier to get on and off. I guess the best protection is a full face--modular runs a close second. Open face is nice on super hot days--although some full face and modulars have good ventilation. "Shortys" are probably as effective as a baseball hat.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I vote for modulars, too. If you wear glasses, a full face will cause you to have scratched lenses. Your glasses will fall on the ground, on an average, about 1-2% of the times you take off or put on your helmet.

Look for a modular with metal latches. There are some great ones out there. I've had Nolans and liked them and I really like my Schuberth C3. It's the quietest helmet I've had including a Shoei full-face that was my first helmet.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
I use mostly use my modular for local driving in cool/wet weather, as I generally wear glasses and this combination means the helmet is constantly coming on and off. But for trips I use my full-face, as it sits in place for hours, is lighter and quieter. In summer weather local driving (often arrives and departs around July 30) I will sometimes use my open face. It's the lightest, but also noisiest.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I have always used FF but recently got a 3/4 for riding around town. I really got to like being able to flip up the face shield so will get a modular the next time.

I also want light which is an oxymoron with most modulars. I have been looking at the Lazer Monaco carbon fiber version. If it fits that will be my next helmet.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I also wear glasses and find the flip up is easier to put on over them. When I pull over to check my map, blow my nose or get a drink I do note have to remove the helmet.

Last edited:

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Which do you prefer?
I prefer a full face, but I have never had a modular that fit me well enough to do a fair comparison. My wife wear a Shoei Neotec modular and really like it's fit and the drop down sun visor.

When looking a modular helmets the added concern is chin bar retention in an accident. The Sharp website I mentioned in the other post tests for retention, something no US standard looks at currently... If you look at the test results for the Neotec it shows the chin bar remain locked 93% of the time...the older Multitech only scored a 83%. The Nolan 103 scores a 100%...at about half the cost of the Neotec. If you use the Sharp site they refer to modular helmets as "System Helmets".....

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
I have a full face and I am awaiting the release of the Bell Revolver modular helmet in Australia (due in the next few months) to try one, as my full face is due for replacement.

If the Bell Revolver is as good as I think it might be that will be my next helmet.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I think the FF are the safest, but since I wear specs as do many here in the forum, the modular gets my nod.

Mike

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I was wearing a Nolan N-102 when I endo-ed my first '99 Concours. The helmet was two weeks old. It had deep scrapes on all three sides and the faceshield, as well as the top of the helmet. I had a very slight concussion. I would have been dead without that modular helmet.

Bike
NT700 Silver ABS
I use a modular during the winter. (HJC) cost me about 120$
Never understood the 600$ helmets ... Are they really that much better?

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
They are not necessarily better. We should all be wearing DOT approved helmets. The difference is in weight, material used in the padding, flip down sunshades, paint schemes, latches for the straps, etc. Lots of people wear the less expensive helmets. I like the lighter quieter ones because I ride for many hours at a time for that, I have to pony up the extra dollars.

Bike
Silver NT700V
I went to the local Honda shop on Friday and tried on all the modular they had. I tried Shark Evoline 3, Nolan 103, and HJC IS Max (update to Symax). None of them fit all that well. It was a toss up between the Nolan and Shark. I do have a very oval head shape and most of these seem to be too round for me. I found the comments about glasses very interesting. Some said they prefer modular because they wear glasses. I could not get my glasses into any of the modular I tried. I have no real problem with glasses and my full face Arai. I just put on the helmet and then stick my glasses on. The Arai Vector has two channels for the glasses stems.

Bottom line is, fit trumps all and you have to try them on to see.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I do have a very oval head shape
Chuck, I think HJC has gone to an oval shape, as they claim most of us are some kind of oval...Revzilla has a great video on the different helmet types and shapes.

I dont wear glasses yet, but I can also simply put on my sunglasses after my full face is on. My helmet has a flip down topgun sunscreen, but I like my sunglasses better

rcase13

The thing about modular that rules them out for me is none of them have a Snell rating. I just prefer to wear helmets that have both Snell and DOT ratings. I have a full face Qwest and have no problems with my glasses.

Bike
2010 RED NT700V
I've had several Nolans, and they are great IMHO. N83 Full Face, N100E and N102 and N103 Modular. Real good helmets, and the thing that seals the deal for me is the ratcheting quick-connect chin strap. Rheumatoid arthritis has given me limited range of motion in my elbows, and I really struggle with d-rings.

Husker

Bike
Red 2010 NT700V
I have a Nolan modular and glasses and love it. Easy on,safe and Don"t have to remove it when I stop for gas. I would recommend it. I plan on purchasing a new Nolan 104.
I prefer a full face, but I have never had a modular that fit me well enough to do a fair comparison. My wife wear a Shoei Neotec modular and really like it's fit and the drop down sun visor.

When looking a modular helmets the added concern is chin bar retention in an accident. The Sharp website I mentioned in the other post tests for retention, something no US standard looks at currently... If you look at the test results for the Neotec it shows the chin bar remain locked 93% of the time...the older Multitech only scored a 83%. The Nolan 103 scores a 100%...at about half the cost of the Neotec. If you use the Sharp site they refer to modular helmets as "System Helmets".....

Top Bottom