Full face or modular

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I recently bought a new HJC RPHA-Max modular, and it's my third 3rd HJC modular so I'm a real fan. I love the convenience of the flip front, such as when talking to friends at a stoplight or putting gas into my bike. The RPHA-Max uses a composite shell and in a Rider magazine comparison of modulars it was equal in lightness to the Schuberth, size for size. I've only worn it twice so far and the other day, I tried it on the interstate with the windshield in a low position so I'd get a full blast of air on the helmet at 70-75 mph and it was much quieter than my Sy-Max II. They claim 82 db at 60-65 mph on a bike without a windshield.

The only problem with the RPHA has to do with availability as I wanted to buy one last November at Iron Pony but they didn't have any and the salesperson in the helmet section didn't think they'd stock them because of the high (for HJC) price. I got similar responses at two other accessory shops so finally bit the bullet and ordered it from Bike Bandit, hoping that their sizing remained the same which it did.

The RPHA comes with a snap-in fog free shield that fits inside the original, plus it has all the trick venting and flip down dark shield with 3 stop positions.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I must be the maverick in this crowd I wear a 3/4 hard hat.
I wore 3/4 helmets and have several on the shelf. When I moved to Nashville and riding all year became feasible I bought a Nolan N90 flip up helmet. The main reason was that in the winter my face got very cold with the 3/4 even with a face shield. I thought I would wear the flip up in the winter and the 3/4 in the summer. Do to the safty benefits of the flip up I wear it all seasons now and would never go back to a 3/4.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
[video=youtube_share;8p1ZJ_WBRkU]http://youtu.be/8p1ZJ_WBRkU[/video]

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I was wearing a modular (a nearly new Nolan N-102) the only time I had a wreck. I would not have had a chin without the helmet. Or a brain.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I was considering a flip-up for my new helmet. The choice was made easier by the fact that none of the flip-ups fit. The only helmet that fits me well is the Arai Signet Q. I'm glad to pay for the comfort and quality.

HAT

Bike
2010 Red NT700
In the market for a new helmet (modular, in the mid price range) and HJCs are in the running along with a couple of others. It bothers me though that the percentage of impacts where the "system" (modular) helmets remained fully locked in testing (http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testhelmetlist?sharp-make=112&sharp-model=&sharp-type=3&sharp-rating=1&discontinued=1) was less than 50%, except for the new HJC R-PHA Max which is likely out of my price range at this point. Does this bother anybody else? Or am I concerned about something that really doesn't matter in the big picture?

HAT

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Nolan N90 is also in the running, but I have not yet had an opportunity to try one. Overall features are quite good in my book. The rear venturi venting is a plus - ventilation is a big consideration for my "hot head." And the Sharp test results and ratings are very good for a modular. And the price is in the right range as a returning rider.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Would not bother me if the chinbar came unlocked during some impacts. The only scenario that I can see that being an issue is if you are sliding feet first and face down.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I crashed in a Nolan N-102 that was all of 2-3 weeks old. It was scraped up all over the helmet ... top, both sides, face shield, chin bar, back... The chin bar stayed latched and I was fine. Well, mostly fine. I probably had a slight concussion because I was unconscious for a short time and had short spells of dizziness when I laid down for a couple of weeks. I was never dizzy when getting up, standing up, moving around. But for those weeks, if I laid down and then turned my head, things would spin for a few seconds.

I also had bruised ribs on my left side -- they stayed sore for five or six weeks.

My 'Stitch was OK except for a few stitches on the back corner of the right shoulder ballistic patch. At least it was fine right up till the EMT cut the long zipper even though I was busy asking him to zip it back up to my neck. That zipper cost me about $100.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Does this bother anybody else? Or am I concerned about something that really doesn't matter in the big picture?
Yes, it does... I did look carefully at the Sharp stats for the chin bar staying latched before buying my wife a Shoei Neotec. With a 93% rating the Neotec was an acceptable "risk" for the trade offs it gives her compared to a RF-1100 like I wear...

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Nolan N90 is also in the running, but I have not yet had an opportunity to try one. Overall features are quite good in my book. The rear venturi venting is a plus - ventilation is a big consideration for my "hot head." And the Sharp test results and ratings are very good for a modular. And the price is in the right range as a returning rider.
If you have not done so read the test on webbikeworld.com for the N90. They rated it very high. I have had an N90 for two years and its a good helmet. I recently purchased a Shoei Neotec primarily due to its better sun visor. I really did not like the sun visor on the N90 due to it did not drop down far enough for me and it has a large cut out for your nose which drove me crazy as it was alway in my line of sight. This might no bother you however and at $220 the N90 is a great value.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
I like the N90 as well but fully agree about the visor. Doesn't bother me that it's "on" or "off" but I wish it went down a bit further, too.

mbroyal

My first helmet was the HJC IS-16, it fell apart in less than a year from normal use. Fortunately HJC is standing behind their warranty and offered to replace or refund. I was not impressed or completely satisfied with the helmet and decided to get a refund. So that left me with shopping for a new helmet this past week, I was actually looking for a full face and ended up trying on full face and modulars. I tried on many helmets at different stores and ended up with a Bell Revolver Evo. There is a review of the original Revolver on WebBikeWorld that gives a pretty good overview. They appear to have fixed the issues with the seal around the face shield and made some other adjustments. FYI it is almost (but not completely, Schuberth is the only one as far as I know) impossible to have a modular helmet that is ECE or SNELL rated. Internal sun visors also make that very complicated and will often make an otherwise SNELL worthy helmet DOT only. Personally DOT is enough for me. I am most concerned with how the helmet fits and rides, noise is secondary as we can, and should, ride with ear plugs to save our hearing.

The absolute most comfortable helmet I found for my head was the Shoei RF-1100. Great fit, attention to detail, snug and comfortable all around, no gaps, felt super light on my head because of the fit. Cost $400-500 depending on colors and graphics. Next most comfortable was the Bell Revolver Evo. Cost $199. Was the Shoei more comfortable? Absolutely. Was the Shoei quieter? Absolutely. Was the Shoie $200+ more comfortable and quieter? I don't think so.

The Bell is not without its flaws. It has slightly firmer foam and the lining material is not as soft, but it does hold my head very evenly (its all about head shape and helmet shape), and the aerodynamics of the helmet are great. I get absolutely zero buffeting on the bike with the screen all the way down. I can turn my head all directions and it feels the same. To me, that seals the deal, it is comfortable and I can move around on the bike. The helmet is very noisy, tolerable in town up to 35-40mph, and then it starts to sound like you are sitting at the end of the runway watching jets take off after that. So ear plugs when I'm on the highway and longer trips across town, but I like it quiet when I ride, so I use earplugs all the time. Will have to see how the helmet holds up over time, I've only ridden a couple of hours in it so far. The modular is nice in town at stops and any time I want to adjust gear or find something, as I can flip it up and see anything and everything.

For those of you with glasses, this helmet would be a challenge, there is no cutout or accommodation in the foam by the temples, so the fit there is very tight. I tried my sunglasses out and the fit was not uncomfortable around town, but I could see it being uncomfortable on a longer ride.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I have had my Shoei-RF1100 for a number of years now. Good fit for me. Fairly quiet. But, interior does not remove for cleaning, which means it takes a couple of days to dry out after being washed (unless you apply a blow dryer for an hour or so). Does not have drop down visor. And it has been dropped a few times. I think after the next drop I will need to replace it.

So, I am looking for a new helmet. I have an HJC 3/4 helmet and got hooked on the drop down visor. I also want to get a modular, but, don't want it heavier than the current Shoei, which rules out quite a few.

Noise is extremely important for me. Yes, I wear ear plugs, but, that only knocks the noise level to below harmful, not below "irritating". Nothing worse to me than a 'thrummm' of wind noise on an 8hr riding day. The RF-1100 is pretty quiet but to be perfect I have to tape across the top of the visor (which makes opening it a PITA).

So, my standards are tough. Modular, light, with a visor, and quiet. Not very many meet those standards. In fact, only two so far. The Lazer carbon fiber helmet and the Schuberth C3. And the Lazer I am not sure about noise. Now I will have to try and find them to try on. And save my pennies so I can afford them. You can be sure I will be extra careful about not dropping them!!!

Bike
2010 Red NT700
My first helmet was the HJC IS-16, it fell apart in less than a year from normal use
I am surprised to hear that. I have an HJC IS16 I bought last April that has been rock solid for 15,000 miles!
I only have two issues with it

1:VERY noisy at highway speeds. Its quieter with the visor open than with it closed so I ride as much as possible with it open.

2: There isn't one of those little red pull thingies on the D-rings to help you get it started off. I can never get out of it in a hurry

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
As was pointed out somewhere on the Forum yesterday, Schuberth has introduced the C3 Pro and the original C3 is for sale for under $500 at several online sites.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I have had my Shoei-RF1100 for a number of years now. Good fit for me. Fairly quiet. But, interior does not remove for cleaning, which means it takes a couple of days to dry out after being washed (unless you apply a blow dryer for an hour or so). Does not have drop down visor. And it has been dropped a few times. I think after the next drop I will need to replace it.

So, I am looking for a new helmet. I have an HJC 3/4 helmet and got hooked on the drop down visor. I also want to get a modular, but, don't want it heavier than the current Shoei, which rules out quite a few.

Noise is extremely important for me. Yes, I wear ear plugs, but, that only knocks the noise level to below harmful, not below "irritating". Nothing worse to me than a 'thrummm' of wind noise on an 8hr riding day. The RF-1100 is pretty quiet but to be perfect I have to tape across the top of the visor (which makes opening it a PITA).

So, my standards are tough. Modular, light, with a visor, and quiet. Not very many meet those standards. In fact, only two so far. The Lazer carbon fiber helmet and the Schuberth C3. And the Lazer I am not sure about noise. Now I will have to try and find them to try on. And save my pennies so I can afford them. You can be sure I will be extra careful about not dropping them!!!
Charlie, as I mentioned in a previous post the C3's can now be had on sale for $499. Still expensive but less than the $700 they we previously getting for them.

mbroyal

I am surprised to hear that. I have an HJC IS16 I bought last April that has been rock solid for 15,000 miles!
I only have two issues with it
The chin vent fell off on me after less than a month when one of the little plastic pins snapped off. I managed to fit a left over pin from a small rivit in the tab and put the chin vent back on. The forehead foam is apparently glued to the back of the sun visor mechanism, and that glue and tape failed during an 85 degree day of riding and the foam began to push its way down my forehead into my line of sight. I agree, it is quieter with the visor open, so I tended to ride that way as well when I could.

Top Bottom