Game changer

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Anyone have any experience with this? If it works, its a game changer for sitting on the side of the road with a flat and traffic going by trying to kill you as its quick and easy. Pull out the nail or screw, put this in and pump.
Then get to a place of safety. Watch the vid. Maybe its just junk but the idea is interesting.....

Last edited:
Huh. I guess we need someone who is about to replace a tire put a appropriate sized hole in it and try this rubber screw. See if it holds air, then the "fun" or "dangerous" part -- give it a ride and see if it holds up. I'm not volunteering!

I've ordered one, but it hasn't showed up yet. (Probably comes from the same place as those nifty $80 Shoei Neotec 2s.)

I vaguely remember the same thing about 20 years ago but don't know what ever became of them.
Perhaps they were no good at that time but now use improved materials.

Macka
I would like to take one and install it on various parts of my spare tires. Probably the thicker the part of the tire, the better it would work.

I recall these as well. Back then they worked loose, from the tire flexing, and then departed...at high speed. Maybe they will work better now, due to improved adhesives, but I'm not going to find out. :rolleyes:

I saw those. Probably ok to get you home, but I wouldn't trust it long term.

Mike
I agree with everyone about permanency. The biggest killer of state troopers are people with target fixation or who are drunk hitting them on the side of the road. When we were trouble shooting Frosty's bike on the side of I90 this summer we were well aware of that even though traffic was light. Frosty called for a tow but no one seemed to care at his insurance company......

I have used the plug in "strings" for many years, rarely did those fail. I prefer the mushroom head versions.

I agree with everyone about permanency. The biggest killer of state troopers are people with target fixation or who are drunk hitting them on the side of the road. When we were trouble shooting Frosty's bike on the side of I90 this summer we were well aware of that even though traffic was light. Frosty called for a tow but no one seemed to care at his insurance company......
What happened to Frosty's bike? I missed that.

Mike

I bought Frosty's bike. But my old bike has now been at Empire Sports in Spokane for over a year. I thought it had sold once in the spring or summer. Guess not.

Frosty bought a Triumph 900 Rally Pro Low last summer and traded his old bike (my newish bike, "Horse") for it.

Ryan of FortNine did a test of patches; and the string plugs were by-far the best, in his in-depth.

I've been lucky. Up until two years ago, never a flat; and that first flat happened overnight...picked up a nail (on a tubed tire with a spoked wheel) and fixing it was just a matter of finding wrenches, taking it off and down to the bike shop.

Six weeks or so ago, I had - after buying a plug kit, two weeks prior - TWO flats in the space of a week. Bad luck, good timing, I guess. My guardian angel has a sense of humor.

But...repairing them...each...took no more than five minutes. Airing the tire up with the tiny pump, took more time, ten minutes each time.

Side of the road? To find the hole, you have to air up the tire. Pump it...that is, set the pump and pigtail, up, step back, till the rim's off the road. Then move the bike off, grass or parking lot, whatever...find your hole, plug it with your string patch, trim and pump and go your way.
Thankfully, in 55 years....I have never had to stop by the side of the road due to a flat. Leaks on Tubless are generally slow. The problem with modern tubeless, and I have had to prove this to myself, is that they can loose lots of air and look just fine. But all I have had on bike in the last 30 years are slow leaks. One thing I do before dark at the end of a touring day is put the bike on the center stand and spin the rear wheel and look for nails and screws and tire damage. I was doing that very thing in the last century when a naked girl ran into my Motel 6 room in Oregon and locked the door.........if the leak hole is very small, I like dyna plugs. A bit larger and I try the mushroom plug. But I always carry the gummy worms.

I own about 50 pneumatic tires counting them the best I can, the sum total of car, truck, trailers, wagons, tractors, bikes, implements, etc. I'm pretty good fixing flats. Every one is different. Some are tubeless, some have tubes, and some have fluid in them. I find that bead leaks are the most common (from all the salt used here and age of all my "stuff"). Punctures account for less than half of my flats. Many times I take off a leaking tire, clean and buff the rim, paint it, and then re-mount the tire - and then the next week I take it off again and put a tube in it and call it fixed. Corrosion is my biggest headache.

Regarding the "screw plugs" it seems to me that if they are hard enough to screw into a tire they will soon leak because the flexion of the tire will break the air seal. I'll stay with my gummy worms.

Since I burn through so many rear tires in a year, I'm often using a rope plug every few months. Most recent was last week. I carry a small 12V air compressor and rope plug tackle box made from a pencil case. Besides the usual rope plug tools and accessories, there's also a set of fine point needle nose pliers and snips. To help dig out whatever is in the tire, and then cut the rope plug flush. Like these: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Crescent-4-in-Shear-Cutter-Plier-Set-2-Piece-S2KS5NN/310771484

Thankfully, in 55 years....I have never had to stop by the side of the road due to a flat. Leaks on Tubless are generally slow. The problem with modern tubeless, and I have had to prove this to myself, is that they can loose lots of air and look just fine. But all I have had on bike in the last 30 years are slow leaks. One thing I do before dark at the end of a touring day is put the bike on the center stand and spin the rear wheel and look for nails and screws and tire damage. I was doing that very thing in the last century when a naked girl ran into my Motel 6 room in Oregon and locked the door.........if the leak hole is very small, I like dyna plugs. A bit larger and I try the mushroom plug. But I always carry the gummy worms.

dyna plugs, mushroom plugs or gummy worms... there's more to this story than is being said. Lol!

I own about 50 pneumatic tires counting them the best I can, the sum total of car, truck, trailers, wagons, tractors, bikes, implements, etc. I'm pretty good fixing flats. Every one is different. Some are tubeless, some have tubes, and some have fluid in them. I find that bead leaks are the most common (from all the salt used here and age of all my "stuff"). Punctures account for less than half of my flats. Many times I take off a leaking tire, clean and buff the rim, paint it, and then re-mount the tire - and then the next week I take it off again and put a tube in it and call it fixed. Corrosion is my biggest headache.

Regarding the "screw plugs" it seems to me that if they are hard enough to screw into a tire they will soon leak because the flexion of the tire will break the air seal. I'll stay with my gummy worms.
Personally, I am not enthused by them. But they would be interesting to play with.

I'm getting some, and if I have a flat I'll try them and hope that my TPMS will give me enough warning for me to get stopped if they don't work.

At risk of repeating myself, I will never ride without a TPMS.
It has saved my three times with early warnings, all on the rear tyre.
I carry gummy worms, a small glue tube, small side-cut pliers, CO2 canisters and a hand pump (which works surprisingly well).
I have never had to use the canisters or pump for myself, only to help out a fellow rider.

Macka

Back
Top Bottom