GoPro HD Camera

Bike
Bonneville T120
Hi,
I have a birthday coming up in a month of so and the wife is looking for suggestions. I've seen some video online shot with the GoPro HD HERO2 camera, Motorsports Edition. Does anyone have any experience with this set up? If so what do you think? Am I barking up the wrong tree? Is there something much better out there?
Thanks,
Dan

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I like mine:

[video=youtube;ETbV6CgEhEM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETbV6CgEhEM[/video]

[video=youtube;SQh5kFeGJ3s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQh5kFeGJ3s[/video]

I have mine mounted on a tall RAM mount and it looks around the windshield. That allows me to reach the controls while I am riding. Some people I have seen mount the camera to their helmets. GoPro has a stick on mount for that.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
What software do you use for video editing and inserting the titles / comments?

EDIT: I just went out browsing Cycle Gear's website and the have the GoPro HD Motorsports Hero package on Sale for $239.99. See Here.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 red NT 700, 1985 Kaw
I do have one but the ski shop I work in sells them. Everyone loves em, I have a friend who has one and he was fishing in the river, caught a fish, took the camera off his hat and set it in the river and filmed the fish fight untill he brought it in and released it from under water, Pretty cool.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I run a HD GoPro. I've had it for a bit over a year now. My SD GoPro lasted about 1 year before it departed during a ride. :mad: (mental note: Make sure that suction cup is on correctly and don't forget the tether).

Have a look at my various videos on my Youtube account "capozzir". I prefer running the camera in the R4 setting which is the narrow viewing angle (127degrees) at 1080p. The SD HD I had only shot in the 170degree viewing angle. I have 2 issues with the wider angle: 1) You get lots of distortion (fish eye) and the subject is pushed way out in front of you. That's okay for scenery, but if you are recording others around you, you have to get way to close to really see them. The 127degree angle is a nice compromise.

Here are a few example vids:

This one is hand shot in a rather dark location. I was surprised how well the video came out.
[video=youtube;o_ghMyB9OnI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_ghMyB9OnI&feature=g-upl&context=G2988af0AUAAAAAAAAAA[/video]

I love Utah!!
[video=youtube;Li8WDbOxlI0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li8WDbOxlI0&feature=g-upl&context=G2147d1aAUAAAAAAABAA[/video]

Mount Carmel at Zion:
[video=youtube;X9JHaVvq2SQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9JHaVvq2SQ&feature=g-upl&context=G2a08d51AUAAAAAAACAA[/video]

A little wet weather filming.
[video=youtube;-iHCqL3Rvbs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iHCqL3Rvbs&list=UU8hmUVm9Y3Vyy_muCa3LsgA&index=4&feature=plcp[/video]

The above clips are just that. Raw unedited clips. I record in short 1-2 minute bursts. I reach up and film a small bit of travel that I find interesting or want to capture.

Here's an edited movie I compiled using a few of the clips including some stills.
[video=youtube;wbmYMAVaE8E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbmYMAVaE8E&list=UU8hmUVm9Y3Vyy_muCa3LsgA&index=20&feature=plcp[/video]

And if you are the "sporty" type. This one has some "spirited" riding with some quick transitioning. I filmed the ride with the camera in two different positions and then edited the clips together to make it look like I had two cameras going. A fun project...and ride! This was shot with my SD GoPro so you can see how the increased viewing angle distorts the subjects.
[video=youtube;YGLaHamUSAY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGLaHamUSAY&feature=g-upl&context=G20c35f3AUAAAAAAAWAA[/video]

And here is my setup if you are interested:

I have a MCLarry reservoir cover with the dual ram balls. From there I attach a medium height Ram arm and then to a Camera platform (1/4x20 stud). I have the GoPro tripod attachment that lets me screw the camera onto the platform.

Here's another view of it:

It stays on the bike permanently. I simply attach the camera when I want to use it. I can easily reach it while riding to turn it on/off. I can even rotate the camera if I want to shot stuff off to the sides or behind me. It works well for me and we enjoy videoing on our travels.

Other pictures of the setup can be seen on the photobucket site: http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d149/capozzir/2009%20Goldwing/GoPro%20Mountings/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ16

I use PowerDirector 10 for video editing. Many of the packages can be downloaded for a free 30 day trial. I tried Adobe's Premiere Elements but it just puked on the large HD video files. I tried out Sony's Vegas as well. I preferred the UI of the PowerDirector a bit more.
Hope you find some of this useful.

Last edited:
I see you ride with the Southern Cruisers here in VA. I'm a member of the Manassas chapter. Maybe I'll see you at the Meet & Greet in April or at the Meet Up we are hosting in June.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Yes. I'm the 2nd officer of the Loudoun SCRC chapter. My wife and I will be at the M&G in April. She'll likely be riding on the back with me on the Wing.

I see you ride with the Southern Cruisers here in VA. I'm a member of the Manassas chapter. Maybe I'll see you at the Meet & Greet in April or at the Meet Up we are hosting in June.

Bike
2011 NT700 ABS (Frodo)
I have the first generation Go Pro. I've hesitated to upgrade because I've missed hundreds of great shots due to a logic glitch that occurs randomly in the camera. Absence of a "reset" button on the camera requires that I stop, pull the batteries, and hope it doesn't happen again as soon as I restart. Frustrating! I've missed some of the greatest shots, like a golden eagle flying 10 feet ahead of me for about a half mile while going over a Colorado pass, because of that glitch.

Is it my camera only? If not, did they fix that logic problem yet, at least by putting a reset function on it?

My avatar photo is running along the Strait of Juan de Fuca through the Olympic rainforest, as an example of when it worked. I loved the pictures, when it worked.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Hey have you all heard, Rick is now doing off road stuff with his NT. Jumps and all. Hey how bout that water crossing last week? How was it? Did you get your feet wet or did you just jump the NT over the water? Sure would like to see some photos of that.:D;):)

Bike
2011 NT700 ABS (Frodo)
For mounting the Go Pro I used old aftermarket windshield hardware that was designed to attach windshield supports to the handlebars. A couple of hand-operated knobs connect the handle bar vertical end and the "L" of the horizontal end of the former windshield support to a support plate.

I made the support plate from an old Sportster license plate bracket (quick work with a Dremel).

I then used the ultra-sticky flat mount plate that you got with the Go Pro as the final piece.

Result is multiple degrees of freedom, notably rotation to get the road ahead or the smile on my face when running the mountain roads, in addition to getting rid of a couple more pieces of left-over Harley and Triumph junk out of my garage.

Of course more rational folks get something more elegant from the Guru of Gadgets - Andy at Aerostich/Riderwearhouse.

Attachments

taldric

Rick - I love the video, but your going to have to create a mou t like the one Papa Lou mentions, or something like that. The head bob-n-weave is distracting. But keep up the camera work. You can create a set of video giving a mototrcye tour of Vegas!

Oh - and you might want to cut out the audio all together to make the file a little smaller to upload.

loonytuna

I have my (non HD,,, bummer) go pro mounted right behind the windshield, it "sees " fine and is a good angke, plus it enables me to start and stop the camera safely.

I used the tape that came with it, no problems.

I'd like to know how everyone feels about the battery life and what you are using, thanks.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Fishing line will "cut off" anything held on with 3M type double sided taped. It "cuts" through the foam center to remove the item. I have removed all sorts of body work from cars with that little trick and have never damaged anything but the tape... After removing the part I rub my finger over the area to ball up and remove any left over foam. Then just use your favorite adhesive remover, Goof Off, Goo Gone, WD-40, or whatever to remove the residue... I use about a one foot length of fishing line with D-rings on each end to keep the line from cutting in to my fingers. Note: If you use this tip to remove something made of foamy, soft plastic, like the OEM Tank Pad, it will cut the foam in the Pad if you pull against it...be careful!

I would be very cautious using a helmet mount for a camera. In the event you use your helmet, in an accident, I am concerned that a camera mount could "concentrate" an impacts force and "punch" a hole through the helmet's shell. While I like the idea of the camera following my eyes I wouldn't want to inadvertently negate the protection I paid for in my helmet.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
When I ran the standard definition GoPro I used rechargeable batteries. I had 3 sets of them and could record off and on all day long. At the end of the day, I would use my travel charger and recharge the batteries. The batteries do drain pretty quick in colder weather though (40-50F) so be mindful of that.

I normally do short 2-3 minute max filmings during an all day ride. I probably have about 1-2 hours of video at the end of the day. Just for a reference point on how "all day" relates to my usage.

I have my (non HD,,, bummer) go pro mounted right behind the windshield, it "sees " fine and is a good angke, plus it enables me to start and stop the camera safely.

I used the tape that came with it, no problems.

I'd like to know how everyone feels about the battery life and what you are using, thanks.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've got a friend who uses a real cheap, real small fairing mounted camera that records onto a mini-SD card. He records continuously so his estate will have evidence of who the idiot was who killed him. His camera is working like an airliner's black box.

I think he's possibly paranoid.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
it looks like ram has mounts for the gopro as well. check this page on their site, that might help get you started.

looks like one of their mount options bolts down to the rear plate where your top box is and is on a long swingarm:

Top Bottom