GoPro HD Camera

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
i've used a few ram mounts in my short time and a simple way i could explain it would be that a ram mount consists basically of four parts (as described on their site):

1) base
2) arm
3) adapter
4) cradle (3 and 4 are sometimes sold together as one p/n)

the base is the part that attaches to the bike. just a ball by itself screwed into the unused side mirror spot near the clutch, or a ball with a u-joint clamped to the bars, mcl's risers with one built in, brake/clutch reservoir, etc. it's the piece that gets a ram ball on the bike somewhere.

the arm connects the base and adapter (a ball joint on each end, if you will). they come in various lengths.

the adapter is the piece that adds a ball to your device's cradle.

the cradle is usually the piece custom to your device. specific gps model, specific gopro or contour camera model. etc. the piece your device snaps or clamps into.

if you start browsing around on their site, ram-mounts.com you will see various wizards for picking mounts for specific devices. or mounts for specific bikes etc. it looks complicated because there are so many options and parts. but knowing the core idea behind it makes it a bit easier to process!

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Hey Rick. What you need is the "tripod" mount for the GoPro.

You attach the tripod mount to the bottom of the GoPro and then the GoPro can be mounted on any standard 1/4"x20 camera mounting plate.

So if you wanted to attach the GoPro to the handlebars with RAM mounts, you would get the following:

A RAM 2.5" round base

A RAM Rail Base

A RAM arm of your choice of size (short, medium, long).

Those 4 pieces will let you attach the GoPro (and any other camera you may have) to the handlebars of your NT.

If you don't have anything currently on your brake reservoir cover, you could also use MotorcycleLarry's RAM mount for the reservoir cover. It replaces the OEM cover and has 1 or 2 RAM balls on it.

I don't know how much vibration you'll get through the bars but my video comes out very nicely on the Wing. The biggest problem I've run into is vibration from the wind (especially when using the high res options).

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Rick,

The ball MCL supplied should fit the "mirror" mount. But be very careful about mounting anything heavy or with a lot of "sail" area, like a Go Pro "brick", on your handlebars. Weight, or drag, or in combination, on the end of a handle bar can create vibrations and weird steering issues.

have my TomTom mounted on the mirror blank and have not noticed any ill effects as far as handeling, but it does vibrate more than when mounted on the center clamp. jim

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'm really impressed with the video quality. The one strange thing to me is that the camera seems to speed things up quite a bit some of the time. Wonder what that's about?

stupidmonkey

Thanks for the vids Rick. A lot better "production" values than the last.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I'll bet you could make a fortune selling tin foil hats to the visitors in that area...:rolleyes1:

Back on topic... I have a GoPro question, does the lens support any filters like a UV-1 or other protective filter? Or do you have to use the case for any lens protection?

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
That was one of the reasons I had to move the camera behind my windscreen. With the HD version, the camera picked up a lot more wind vibration. Behind the windscreen solved that issue. Of course, if you have a VERY shorty arm (or no arm) that would help also. Is the vibration from the wind or the handlebars?

1TRAK

Okay, new camera question: I have my HD2 mounted vertically on the left side of my helmet. Is there a way to rotate the playback 90 degrees?

Thanks.
My manual shows how to rotate it 180 degrees, I believe that's it. Did you mount it vertically to bring it closer to your helmet, or are you looking to get portrait photos and video?

OP
OP
vzshadow
Bike
Bonneville T120
Okay,
Some time ago I got a GoPro. I used it to show some video of my dogs doing tricks. All was well.

Today was the first time I shot video from the bike. It's beautiful and it's all upside down. Yes the images are inverted.

No it wasn't mounted upside down on the bike.

Anybody have any idea why this should be???

OP
OP
vzshadow
Bike
Bonneville T120
You're all too late. As a last resort, read the directions!!!

Cool that you can invert the image when you film if you have to mount the camera upside down.

I have now idea how I got the camera in that setting!!!

tawilke46

In 20 to 30 years there will be a bunch of folks with arthritis in their thumbs from all the texting and cell phone use.

Some of these younger people can text faster that I can talk. And many of them can out computer most of us adults.

Top Bottom