GPS help

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
It is time to get a new GPS. I'm not very GPS literate. And I'm a cheap *****

Do I need a motorcycle specific one like the Garmin Zumo 220 or the 350LM, or will an automotive type work OK in the full sunlight? I don't mind putting it away in rainy weather. I've looked on line at the Zumo 220 and the Garmin NUVI 3450 and I believe these both have what I need and more.

A member here is offering a used Zumo 550 for sale, but since it is a discontinued model is its information too dated to be useful? For example, do map updates include new information on motels and other POI's or just roads?

All I really need is basic navigation and the ability to find a motel or campground 100 miles or so down the road. I don't use any audio in my helmet so none of that stuff is important to me. Everyone I've talked to so far has the "best" GPS and they are all different.

Good morning, I use a low end auto gps; suction cupped to the windshield; the display is fine in bright light - - but can't hear the audio directions.

100_0887.JPG

I use an old Garmin 880 nuvi I had laying around. Works great, have it mounted in front of the windshield which helps protected it some from rain. Still have the lifetime map updates so roads are as current as can be. Figure once it goes I will look into getting a motorcycle specific one.

One of the big ergo advantages of the ZUMO, I believe, is that all the buttons are on the left side of the unit so you can use your non-throttle hand to manipulate the GPS
I dont have one for my bike, but I have a high end Garmin in the car and can attest to Garmin quality and performance.

I went the cheap way out and bought a low cost Garmin that I use on my bikes and cars. For my bikes I just slide the Garmin in the clear map pocket of my tank bag (I do not take the GPS unless I am going far enough to warrent the tank bag). Operating the touch screen is not very easy and when the sun is over your shoulder it can be hard to read, but on my bikes I tend to want to pay more attention to the road, and if I really need to ask the GPS something I can do it when I pull over. It stays dry in the tank bag pouch too.

I use a Garmin Nuvi 255W car Gps on the NT. It was my old car gps, and I thought I'd use it on the NT till it broke, and its been good for >1 year.

Advantages:
Cost <$75. Could break 5 of these at that cost compared to many GPS's.
Small. Slips in pocket, use as gps off the MC for hikes. Smart phone does the same thing.
Uses standard Micro (or Mini, I can't ever remember which is which) usb charge connection.
Internal battery last at least 4 hours. Lots of time to make next days route, or take on hikes.
If/when it breaks, Garmin still makes a replacement available to fit my mount, with same charger. So ...find the closest store on smart phone, buy another cheap garmin gps and be on my way.

Disadvantages:
It's last map update was 2008, but major roads don't change often. Smart Phone backup is handy if unsure of road accuracy.
Doesn't get free map updates. Next one will.
Not many features, but I really only needed a GPS. Do wish it would save multiple routes in advance of a trip.
Not waterproof. But has gotten wet & died, dried it out & everything works.
Can't hear audio directions. Never have like audio directions though, not even in car.

I keep the brightness set to 100% (not auto) and it is readable in all but the direct-reflection-of-the-sun angle. If you use a car gps, have a backup gps (smart phone, notepad, paper).

Jim, I've got an old Garmin Street Pilot 2720. It's waterproof and works great for me. I need to update the maps, but with Garmin, map updates are always an adventure. Lots and lots of data to be transferred.

I've thought about the new 350LM or the Nuvi 550 (automotive unit but waterproof) and might get the 350LM before next year. But I more than likely will keep using the old one as long as it works. Might even dig out my old GPS-V and mount it. Garmin has a tendency to delete some useful features as they upgrade major features.

I used a friend's Zumo the other day and it was nice, better display, but not that nice.

I have a Zumo 550 and it is probably more than I need. It comes with a maping program so that you can program routes into it. I seldom use this feature. I do like that I can plug my earphones into it for directions since I do not want to be watching the screen for directions. I find the main advantage to a GPS is when I am ridng out in the sticks and its getting late I can look up the nearest gas station, hotel or place to eat. Sometimes I get so twisted around on the back roads that I can not even figure out where I am at with a map. The Zumo models are water proof and shock resistant which I thought would be a plus but apparently those using car GPS's don't seem to have a problem in these areas.

For those of you who have Garmin units - you absolutely MUST go online and sign up for the Lifetime Map Update service! It's $89 (less expensive than buying new maps)

For $140 a new Garmin GPS can be bought that includes lifetime map updates. That may be a better way to update a GPS's old maps & data. Then you have 2 GPS's and the new one has the $89 lifetime updates. It would be a sad day to pay $89 to update an old GPS only to have it die shortly after because it has 5+ years of use/abuse.

For those of you who have Garmin units - you absolutely MUST go online and sign up for the Lifetime Map Update service! It's $89 (less expensive than buying new maps) and you get four new map downloads a year. You register your unit serial number, then just connect the GPS to the computer via USB cable and go to the update site. It automatically checks to see if your maps are current, and downloads them (no unlocking adventure needed, Phil!).

Paul, Even as I write this, my trusty Street Pilot 2720 is connected to my computer, which is connected to Garmin Map Updater v3.1.19, which seems to be in the process of updating my maps. It was showing that it would take about 49 minutes to finish downloading, 5 min to prepare maps, and then 3 hours to install them. Then I looked and it said it was going to take 50 minutes to download, but now that's down to 44 minutes, so I guess it's working.

When I mentioned "adventures," I was partially remembering the last time I downloaded maps. My first 2720 locked up during that and Garmin swapped me that one for the one I've got now. This is the first time I've updated maps in over 2 years. I assume it also updates the POI data. Now I'll find out everything I've been missing!

For those of you with the Zumo, is the display brighter in direct sunlight than the std car versions? That is probably the only reason I'd change at this point.

I have also found the Copilot GPS app for my android phone to work too.

Amazement! Paul, thanks for prodding me to do my map update. It's done in a bit over three hours with no problems whatsoever. I notice that the points-of-interest for Fort Morgan have some errors, but that's nothing new.

For those of you with the Zumo, is the display brighter in direct sunlight than the std car versions? That is probably the only reason I'd change at this point.

I have also found the Copilot GPS app for my android phone to work too.

I have no problems reading my zumo in the sun but sometimes my hi viz jacket does reflect in the screen. I have never used a car gps on my bike so I can not compare. Garmin does advertise the zumo as "sunlight readable"

I had a Zumo 550 for a long time, but replaced it with a 660. The biggest reason was ease of use, as using the 550 buttons meant actually Grabbing the unit and pressing the buttons with my thumb. And with heavy gloves it could require a substantial squeeze, as the glove material inhibits button movement. The 660 has better mounts, as well.

The 550 is still working. My brother has it. I'm thinking that unit is something like 10 years old, as it seems like it's been around forever, but maybe not. And both units have had plenty of time in the rain, sometimes hail and even a bit of snow.

Now I know lots of us pride ourselves on getting everything at Wal-Mart prices, so the Zumos look like pricey units. But this was one day's pay at the time I bought it. And it's served me well for a number of years (I've lost track) on two bikes, numerous cars (including rental cars) and on foot - across US, Canada and Europe. And it gives me hands-off bluetooth capability for my phone on my bike and in cars that otherwise lack it.

Updating databases takes a long time, all right. I find this to be true of all my units that get some kind of database update via USB. USB is actually a pretty slow transfer system. The internet download is always a significantly shorter operation that the loading into the unit.

On a related note, I have had several see-through panels on tank bags and such, but never put anything in these compartments that is vulnerable to moisture. It doesn't take long to see water droplets condensed on the inside of the window.

Last edited:
Doing the map update on my 2720 took about an hour to download the maps, then maybe 2 1/2 to install into the GPS.

The 2720 is the fourth GPS I've had and I haven't bought new yet. I got a GPS III+ for $200 from a buddy when he updated to a GPS V. Then I bought his GPS V for $200 when he updated to a Street Pilot. The GPS V has a pretty basic map that has all the US highways I've ever been on, nearly all of the state highways I've ever been on and a whole bunch of county and local roads and streets. It worked fine as a navigator on a trip to Hyder, Alaska, and back. I'll probably mount it on the bike when I go to Alaska next year along with the Street Pilot 2720.

The 2720 I found on E-Bay for about $200 cratered when I did my first map update on it. Garmin swapped it for one that works that just happens to have a serial number only 3-400 away from the one that died. I've used it in hot and cold, rain and snow on the bike and in our cars. It doesn't have any internal batteries, so has to be wired to a power source. I've got a RAM mount on the center of my MCL handlebar clamp and it's the perfect location for me. It could be slightly brighter, but it works great.

Now I remember why I remember having GPS units for something like 10 years. Before the Zumo 550 I had a Street Pilot (don't recall the specific unit number). This had the old rocker switch approach for entering data. Super primitive in usability, but it did work.

How many campgrounds are in your GPS? I went the "big store" today to buy a new GPS. I wanted one that could find me a campground 100 miles down the road when I'm traveling. I tested them by searching for campgrouds near my home where I'm familiar. None of the Garmins could find a US Forest Service, Wisconsin State Forest, or Municipal campground at all. The commercial campgrounds came up. The clerk (who happened to be a MC rider) couldn't find any either.

So now I'm looking at a tablet computer instead. The app suggested by Mellow in the Camping Sticky seems like the best method.

Are public campground not in GPS machines?

Last edited:
[or the Nuvi 550 (automotive unit but waterproof) and might get the 350LM before next year..."]

I've had a Nuvi 500, sister to the 550, for 3 years and am completely happy with it. It was around $250 and is waterproof and has touch screen so I had access various features while wearing most gloves. The only difference between the Nuvi 500 and 550 is that the latter has maps for Canada which I didn't know when I bought my 500. It became obvious to me when I crossed into New Brunswick and the screen suddenly went stupid!

I assumed that the more expensive GPS's had more info in them. Not necessarily. No one can tell me where they get the data to put in GPSs. It seems the POI's loaded in the GPS's have something to do with someone paying someone for the most part. It is strange that the clerk at the "big store" didn't tell me about downloading more info into the GPS. I can't see paying $800 for a NUVI. I like to camp, but I like to camp to save $ while traveling too. When you consider an $800 GPS or a $400 tablet computer plus a connection of some kind in order to find campgrounds to save a few bucks on a motel room, it isn't cost effective (uless you're on the road for a month at at time).

Back
Top Bottom