GPS help

That's why I use my phone for a GPS.

You can go get a cheap car GPS and use it for the bike. Download whatever POI's you want.

Many are available for much less than $100.

Instead of looking under "Food/Lodging", and then "Lodging" for campgrounds (that's where the commercial ones are), go to "Food/Lodging" then "Community" and then "Attractions" or "Parks" or something like that. I finally found state parks there. I don't know if USFS campgrounds are there, but they might be.

That was where I found 'em on my Street Pilot 2720.

Instead of looking under "Food/Lodging", and then "Lodging" for campgrounds (that's where the commercial ones are), go to "Food/Lodging" then "Community" and then "Attractions" or "Parks" or something like that. I finally found state parks there. I don't know if USFS campgrounds are there, but they might be.

Both myself and the clerk looked under everything we could think of and couldn't find public campgrounds. That's why I asked if they were loaded on the GPSs that others use.

Jim,

I just ran a Google Search for "Camp Ground POI for Garmin" and found some interesting down loadable listings... This one "http://www.uscampgrounds.info/statemaps.html" looked interesting as it is by areas, not all or none, like some of the others.... I also suggest searching around the POI Factory website, they have a lot of useful info....type in "campgrounds" for your search...

Thanks for the help people. I now understand that you have to load the info you want onto your GPS. I was just reading the advertisements that assured me that everything I would ever want was on "their" particular unit. Then I re-discovered the real world. It is such an easy concept if they would just state that in plain english. I hate marketing tactics.

Yeah, but, "we" are not "everyone" or everyone would own an NT :D

Even though most GPS units say they list RV parks, rarely do they list all of them. Even ones as well known as KOA's are not all listed.

Same problem happens to me with most products. Just about everything I buy needs to be modified for my use. Computers, phones, bikes, cars, etc, etc.

Just curious, how does your phone hold up in the heat?
That's why I use my phone for a GPS.

You can go get a cheap car GPS and use it for the bike. Download whatever POI's you want.

Many are available for much less than $100.

One POI I always wished for on my Garmin Nuvi 500 are rest stops along the interstate, when I'm slabbing it to make time. During last summer's hot weather, I made separate stops for fuel & also at a rest stop - in both places soaking my T-shirt with cold water before jumping back on the NT. I was coming from OR and starting from central CO to the OH border, it was 102-107 each day. it was probably the only time I was ever overjoyed to come home where it was a mere 99!

For rest stop and other POI's go to the POI factory and download whatever you want. They have a ton of stuff, especially for Garmin's.

The phone does fine out in the heat. I think having an airflow around it helps a lot. I do not leave it on the bike when sitting for long periods. I use one of the RAM universal mounts most of the time, but, I have used one of their 'boxes' too. Neither has shown any heat issues with the phone. The box by itself has 'cooked' a piece of foam inside the box (the foam holds the phone in place).

I've got an Android phone, a Samsung Galaxy, that I can barely see the screen on outside in the sunlight. I don't know if its because of something about the display or something about my Transitions lenses on my glasses. There's no way I could use it as a GPS when riding.

Phil,

I have a Galxy SIII as well and it does good for me. Just don't expect to be able to read email, text, or other typical stuff. All I need out of it is to show a route (and warn me when I am speeding :) ). The programs I use when riding have large letters and symbols.

I also tilt mine to get rid of glare. Sometimes it is tilted down, sometimes up. Most of the time the screen is nearly vertical. Note that most of the time the offending glare is the sun reflecting off of my jacket. I also adjust the screen colors for best contrast. Many of the map programs use a lot of light green, white and yellow which wash out easily. I have better luck with the night time colors during daytime. Small print is useless. There are some parts of the GPS screen Icannot read while riding, simply because the print is too small.

I wish GPS makers would not put as much on the screen, or, allow it to be customized. When on the bike I want certain kinds of information, and, that is different than the kind of info I want when driving the truck and trailer. And on some portions of a trip I want arrival time and distance displayed at the same time! Why can't Ihave what I want :)

I used a good sunshade with my GPS unit and it worked well, especially when it was hard mounted to the bike.

Back
Top Bottom