Groundhog Posse

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Looked out my window this morning and we did not get any of that snow they predicted. Looks like they closed schools and shut the town down for nothing. I guess I get to take the NT to work this morning. Good times.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I put away my heavy coat and long johns last night
Gonna get my mind right that winter is over for me...'course, we might get zapped one more time here in Dallas

"just when I thought I was out..."

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
<sigh>.... just when I thought we were out of the woods, the NWS is forecasting 1-2" of global warming tonight..... when will it end.... when will it end?

:shrug2:

Mike

Bike
Sprint GT, 2010 NT, MS950
Uh, Red, you may want to double-check Webster's; you have the definitions of climate and weather reversed. Examples..."Southern California has a Mediterranean Climate." "Severe weather caused power outages."

Global warming refers to an average change around the world. While we have been freezing, my brother in Australia is experiencing one of the hottest years on record. Weird weather is exactly what the climate guys have been saying would happen more often as the planet warms...kind of what we have been seeing more and more of.

97% of the 12,000 peer-reviewed scientific studies agree that global warming is real, and we are the cause.

More logic and facts, less FOX News propaganda.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Patrick, thanks for pointing out the connection between global warming and weird weather (which includes cold winters!). The dust bowl isn't far from being a reality again in SE Colorado, the Texas Panhandle and western Oklahoma. Melting of polar ice is at the highest pace in thousands of years. The global climate is changing, even if Al Gore has gotten wealthy by telling us about it, Chris!

Bike
I definitely hear what you're saying, Phil. Although my plant here in Michigan is closing and I have been offered a good position (Engineering Project Manager/Controls Engineer) with the same company but in southern California, I'm hesitant to leave the Great Lakes. Even in the driest years we still have a lot of water!

Last edited:
Bike
Chris, cherry-picking data doesn't cut it either...this is from the same page you just quoted, http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/

Preliminary measurements from CryoSat show that the volume of Arctic sea ice in autumn 2013 was about 50% higher than in the autumn of 2012...However, this apparent recovery in ice volume should be considered in a long-term context. It is estimated that in the early 1980s, October ice volume was around 20,000 cubic kilometers (approximately 4,800 cubic miles), meaning that ice volume in October 2013 still ranks among the lowest of the past 30 years.

Antarctic sea ice extent continues to track very high in January, reaching the second-highest monthly extent in the 36-year satellite monitoring record. New monthly extent records were set for each month between August and November, and December was tied for the record (within the limits of the precision). Trend maps of sea ice concentration (Figure 5b), however, reveal that the increase is not uniform around the Antarctic continent, nor is the strength of the monthly trends (in percent increase per decade) as great as those for the Arctic, in either winter or summer. While sea ice has increased in the western Ross Sea and the Weddell Sea, it has declined in the Amundsen and Bellingshausen seas. The paragraph finishes with a possible explanation for the deviations, and in no way states that Antarctica is "an inconvenient truth".

Once again...if you look at ALL of the facts, climate change theory holds up. Humans may not be able to reverse it, but the data indicates that we can certainly add to it.

Last edited:

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Uh, Red, you may want to double-check Webster's; you have the definitions of climate and weather reversed. Examples..."Southern California has a Mediterranean Climate." "Severe weather caused power outages."
Uh, Patrick, you may want to double-check for "satire", per Websters...:wink:

More logic and facts, less FOX News propaganda.
Well, I don't watch Fox News myself...it is waaaay too liberal for me...:wink: But the reality is "logic and facts" are sadly missing in most news broadcasts, or propaganda, so I'd guess they probably are about as accurate as any other paid, sponsored, news...I mean propaganda...:rolleyes1:

As far as climate change I'm don't doubt for a second it is happening. So? Both written and geological historical records show climate change has happened many times in the past...sometimes with extreme results such as the last Ice Age. Other times with less dramatic changes, of a more temporary nature, like the "Little Ice Age". Did anyone else notice that the Little Ice Age is generally accepted to have ended in 1850? Isn't 1850 the time frame most claim the current global warming trend began? Hmm, wouldn't we normally expect to see a warming trend after a Ice Age? If we didn't the Ice Age wouldn't have ended..and prior geological history shows that to be the norm... So could the current "global warming" be a part of a natural cycle? Food for thought...

t only shows that we don't have a clear cut conclusive situation.
Yep...there is insufficient data to prove either conclusively... And now that money and politics are involved the last thing looked at will be "facts"...

Last edited:
Bike
Uh, Patrick, you may want to double-check for "satire", per Websters...
:doh1: Red, you got me that time! :D :redface:

As I stated earlier, though, the overwhelming consensus in the scientific community is that global warming is real and that people are probably the cause. Personally, I think that "radiation entrapment" would have been a much more accurate description of the phenomenon. (I wish I could claim credit for the term, but I saw it somewhere...I just can't remember where!)

I agree that too many people mistake the news for factual information, and I'm glad that there are still some of us left that remember how to treat what is fed to them with a hefty dose of scepticism, and actually look for the answers themselves. Even if we don't all agree, at least we tried to figure it out!

For myself, I'm going back to the original intent of the thread and see if I can find a groundhog to shoot. Two years ago I was riding my Triumph in February, and this year it looks like I'll be lucky to get out by April!

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
When I went through SERE school (Navy), we didn't get to make fires for cooking...I wonder how chewy a raw groundhog would be?
You didn't make cooking fires in the Army Survival Schools I had the pleasure of attending either. But there is a big advantage to not having a fire and eating late. You can't see what you are eating so don't know for sure just what your eating. That made somethings we caught a lot more palatable...:eek1:

Bike
You didn't make cooking fires in the Army Survival Schools I had the pleasure of attending either. But there is a big advantage to not having a fire and eating late. You can't see what you are eating so don't know for sure just what your eating. That made somethings we caught a lot more palatable...
One of my sons is currently a cook in the Army, so I can understand how catching your own food might be a preferred way to get a decent meal. On the other hand I have wonderful memories of S.O.S. and powdered eggs on those long shipboard deployments!

I think Tabasco Sauce saved my life...:tongue:

Top Bottom